Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MWC torque arm for Moser 9 inch...owners come in

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MWC torque arm for Moser 9 inch...owners come in

Just wondering basically how the fittment and use of the adjustability of the MWC TA that is made for the standard 9 inch rearends not the MWC rears.....post up any feedback
Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Default MWC Torque arm

I just installed a MWC torque arm that bolts up to the factory rear end. Unsure if itll help but i had some minor issues. Its the "short" style TA and i set the end link near the trans tail shaft to the top setting as recommended by MWC. I drove around the block one time and coud hear it hitting the tunnel so took it apart again. I set it on the lower setting(only other setting) near the trans and the knocking went away but then had a clearance issue with the driveshaft hitting the safety loop. I couldnt set the pinion angle anywhere below zero degrees without the driveshaft hitting the safety loop. I then called MWC to see if they could help and recommend a possible solution. Eric told me to flip the TA around in the bracket so that the adjustment at the rear end is now at the top and no longer the bottome (which makes it a pain to adjust btw). So i again yanked the driveshaft and tore everything apart to flip the TA and bolted it back up on the recommended top setting at the trans (set at "noon"). Had to set the pinion angle with the driveshaft out (no room to adjust with the adjuster on top now) and finally got the pinion angle correct....oh yea, i had to chop and reweld the loop to get it to fit correct without hitting the driveshaft. I also noticed when i yanked the crossmember that the safety loop was hitting the top passenger corner (tight fit). But finally, i got everything to work at the moment lol. Ill post a pic if i can figure it out and maybe itll save u the headache dealing with clearance issues and what not. MWC seemed like a good group of guys and their shop was awesome.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Teching In

U can see where the driveshaft was hitting and the top corner of the loop.
Attached Thumbnails MWC torque arm for Moser 9 inch...owners come in-photo-48-.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Talking

Easy fix lol
Attached Thumbnails MWC torque arm for Moser 9 inch...owners come in-photo-49-.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Short tunnel mount with a Moser 9 inch here. I currently have it mounted with the adjustment nuts to the top as its not even close to fitting the other way. i still have bad clearance issue with the tunnel. I may modify the rear bracket so I can use the other 12/10 bolt dif bolt holes.

Anybody know if Moser has changed the third member mount over the years? The bracket just doesn't seem right.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm looking into everything ,,.. Got a 3.5 pst driveshaft so I'll need the clearance, hoping that I don't have to cut much
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the VAST majority of aftermarket torque arms are going to hit the tunnel on the stamped moser 9" housing. i originally had a spohn, had to clearance. upgraded to a midwest, had to clearance the tunnel more. just the nature of the game with the housing because it moves the torque arm mount to the drivers side quite a bit. also you will likely have to grind a little of the casting flash of the moser torque arm mount as well as some off the inboard corners of midwest bracket. part of the game when you start stacking one companies aftermarket part on another companies aftermarket part.

LOVE the torque arm, made a noticeable difference in stability and the "planted" feeling under heavy acceleration. car hooks like a champ
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For anyone who is looking, my Umi fit perfect with the 9".
Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
the VAST majority of aftermarket torque arms are going to hit the tunnel on the stamped moser 9" housing. i originally had a spohn, had to clearance. upgraded to a midwest, had to clearance the tunnel more. just the nature of the game with the housing because it moves the torque arm mount to the drivers side quite a bit. also you will likely have to grind a little of the casting flash of the moser torque arm mount as well as some off the inboard corners of midwest bracket. part of the game when you start stacking one companies aftermarket part on another companies aftermarket part.

LOVE the torque arm, made a noticeable difference in stability and the "planted" feeling under heavy acceleration. car hooks like a champ
Nothing a grinder and welder wont fix. It is the nature of the game but can become frustrating spending money on an item just to have to chop it and reweld it. Theres alot to factor in i guess. Either way, car seems to hook nice. Gonna head to the track this weekend if weather permits. MWC torque arm seems good quality.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tally transam
the vast majority of aftermarket torque arms are going to hit the tunnel on the stamped moser 9" housing. I originally had a spohn, had to clearance. Upgraded to a midwest, had to clearance the tunnel more. Just the nature of the game with the housing because it moves the torque arm mount to the drivers side quite a bit. Also you will likely have to grind a little of the casting flash of the moser torque arm mount as well as some off the inboard corners of midwest bracket. Part of the game when you start stacking one companies aftermarket part on another companies aftermarket part.

Love the torque arm, made a noticeable difference in stability and the "planted" feeling under heavy acceleration. Car hooks like a champ

^^^ this.

Quick Reply: MWC torque arm for Moser 9 inch...owners come in