Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting compression and rebound

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjusting compression and rebound

Ive got some viking DA shocks on my 02 camaro, and I just wanna make sure Im adjusting the shocks properly. From my research you want to lower the compression to soften the hit to the tire on launch if its blowing the tires off, and also lower the rebound to plant the tires harder through greater separation? Is there a certain procedure as far as setting the front vs rear shocks first? Its on drag radials now, but will be on slicks later, are there any differences in tuning theory for one or the other?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:35 PM
9 Second Club

yes, shock tuning between a radial and a slick are going to be different. on a radial you are going to want the rear shock compression settings tighter to keep the tire planted.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

How many adjustment settings do those shocks have?

Start with the front compression setting 1 click off full tight on a drag radial. Start with the rear compression setting 2 clicks off full tight on a drag radial.

I need to know how many clicks your shocks have so I can tell you where to set the rebound to begin with.

How much HP does this car have? Power adder? What hole are the rear LCA's in and what about the torque arm if it is adjustable?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

They are 18 way adjustable. The car made 412/376 on a dynojet last week, peak hp at about 6500, and peak tq around 47-4800, NA no power adder right now. The LCA's are in the bottom hole on the brackets, MWC fab9 housing with 4.11 gears, torque arm on a relo bracket that comes with it, 2nd hole from the bottom, and pinion angle is currently at about -3*. 300# springs in the front, and stock v8 spring in the rear with the heater hose mod. Only weight reduction is jack and spare removed, along with back seats. Tires are 315/35r17 toyo proxes tq's.

I've got a 2 step and linelock waiting to be installed, didnt determine what rpm might work best on the launch yet. If theres any other info you may need let me know, thanks for posting!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:04 PM
FormerVendor

Ok here's what you need to do:

Front compression:
1 off full tight

Front rebound:
full loose

Rear compression:
2 off full tight

Rear rebound:
9 off full loose

If it spins, loosen the rebound in the rear until it does not spin. Put a go-pro on the right or left rear quarter panel so you can watch the rear tire and how quickly it separates and hits the tires.

Once you get the rear end dialed in with the front end full loose on rebound you can start to try tightening the front end up and bringing your launch rpm higher and higher.

I'll tell you this though, you're not going to have any luck on the radials with a 6 speed. Put the slicks on as soon as you can.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, I should be able to get the slicks going by the weekend so I'll just start with those. Where would you start with launch rpm, 3-4k?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

What clutch and what rear end?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Monster stage 3, and a midwest chassis 9" with 4.11's in it. And a Tick Master of course!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fly boy_1
Ok, I should be able to get the slicks going by the weekend so I'll just start with those. Where would you start with launch rpm, 3-4k?
Monster stage 3, and a midwest chassis 9" with 4.11's in it. And a Tick Master of course!
You're about to have some fun! Cannot wait until my car is set up well enough where I can hit it hard and feel it move out like I know it can.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Gonna set the shocks per martins advice and see how it does on the radials on the street. Got my skinnies today so the slicks will be going soon. Should I use those same settings to start with on those also?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Well tried martins settings, and just driving it around on the street it feels like it's separating better. Ride much nicer with the comp turned way up as well. I'll get some vids like Martin suggested on Friday and take a look at what it's doing.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify full tight would be all the way counter clockwise correct?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

counter clockwise is lose on the Viking shocks

i can give you my setting that work for me

Front compression is 12
Front rebound is 0-6 (depending on track)

Rear Compression is 16
Rear Rebound is 9-12 (depending on track) if i were you i would start with 0-5 first and see how the tires respond
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by old93camaro
counter clockwise is lose on the Viking shocks

i can give you my setting that work for me

Front compression is 12
Front rebound is 0-6 (depending on track)

Rear Compression is 16
Rear Rebound is 9-12 (depending on track) if i were you i would start with 0-5 first and see how the tires respond
ok thanks for the info this is what I needed. This Friday will be the first time down at the track with the new rear shocks on it. Im sure it will take me a little bit to get it dialed in.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

well brought my 60 down and ran a new best last night. had the rear shocks set a 16 compression and 9 extension. I didn't end up adjusting the shocks at all, but ran a 7.08 with a 1.51 60ft and a 7.07 with a 1.522 60ft. After them 2 runs the track prep went to **** and never did get re-prepped so them were the only 2 clean runs I got. Like I said I could have adjusted the shocks, but just said whatever there will be another day. I figure Ill go in a month or 2 when theres some good fall air and mess around with launching the car different ways to see if I cant get my goal of 6.90's
Old 08-17-2013, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

I also got a run at the track last night, was nervous about how the car would react with slicks so I didnt run it very hard at all, but the slicks and shocks made a big difference. Did some runs on the street later that night when I was more comfortable and the car hooked quite well. Slight spin on the launch and hooked all the shifts. Need more seat time to get used to it but Im happy!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BennyB
well brought my 60 down and ran a new best last night. had the rear shocks set a 16 compression and 9 extension. I didn't end up adjusting the shocks at all, but ran a 7.08 with a 1.51 60ft and a 7.07 with a 1.522 60ft. After them 2 runs the track prep went to **** and never did get re-prepped so them were the only 2 clean runs I got. Like I said I could have adjusted the shocks, but just said whatever there will be another day. I figure Ill go in a month or 2 when theres some good fall air and mess around with launching the car different ways to see if I cant get my goal of 6.90's
that's the setting that worked for me but know i need tires so it was fun while it lasted..
Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BennyB
Nice work! What is the setup on your car if you dont mind me asking? Dyno number, tranny, stall, rear end? I am shooting for a goal of 6.90's as well, but I am a little further from it than you.

I also got a run at the track last night, was nervous about how the car would react with slicks so I didnt run it very hard at all, but the slicks and shocks made a big difference. Did some runs on the street later that night when I was more comfortable and the car hooked quite well. Slight spin on the launch and hooked all the shifts. Need more seat time to get used to it but Im happy!
What did you end up running? Did you get a video of any runs? I am interested to see how the launch went with the Monster+4.11's+slick.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

Don't be afraid to side step the clutch at 5-6k RPM. You've got good parts that will take the abuse.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Nice work! What is the setup on your car if you dont mind me asking? Dyno number, tranny, stall, rear end? I am shooting for a goal of 6.90's as well, but I am a little further from it than you.

What did you end up running? Did you get a video of any runs? I am interested to see how the launch went with the Monster+4.11's+slick.
its actually a cam only ls1. The last time I had the car dyno'd, which was about 3 yrs. ago, it put down 415/ 390. Ive made some minor changes like bigger primary tube headers and things like that, but nothing major since. Its a 4k stalled auto with 4.30 gear out back on radials. Id like to hit my goal then build a nice lsx motor to go 9's n/a.

Quick Reply: Adjusting compression and rebound