Sponsored by:

Aerospace Rear Drag Brake install vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aerospace Rear Drag Brake install vs stock

Hey guys,
I just picked up a set of Aerospace 4 piston rear drag brakes for my 95' z28. I had factory LT1 rear brakes out back, that i had removed the parking brake hardware and counter weights.

Installed them onto my moser 12 bolt with cclip eliminator and gm flush mount housing ends.

Install was pretty straight forward. i had to notch the caliper brackets to slide them over my axles, they come solid if you are planning on replacing the axle bearings at the same time it'll be no big deal, but since i was not, i had to notch them. Also had to use my cut off wheel and cut the stock rear brake housing ends off. After all this was said and done, it was a breeze to install, comes with all the hardware needed, make sure to shim the caliper to center the rotor between the caliper, and that the pressed in threads on the bracket are facing out.

my factory rotor, pads, and caliper weighed in at 22.06 lbs per side (keep in mind that this it with gutted rear calipers, shaved and ground to clear drag wheels, and removed parking brake equipment. so i would imagine they're about 5lbs or so lighter than true factory brakes.

the new aerospace setup weighs in at 10.27 lbs per side.

total weight savings i calculated to be right at 24/25 lbs total. Rotor weight difference/rotational mass was factory rotor 11.6 lbs vs aerospace rotor 6lbs.

All my weights were taken using my fishing scale, so it may not be 100% accurate but it'll give you a good idea what you can save by switching to a rear drag brake setup.

***Be sure to use locktite on the allex screws that screw the rotor to the hat**

Heres a few pics to show the finished product.

Quick Reply: Aerospace Rear Drag Brake install vs stock