Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY, Alternators??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013 | 02:27 AM
Launching!

Ls1on lsd, that was funny.
Studderin, you actually make good points. But if.your dataloggin, your probaly a serious drag racer...and have gen.race batty, and chargers...
Old 09-14-2013 | 02:36 AM
Launching!

This was my bad...I didn't take in account no one knows how to read, I said high horsepower race builds!! But I forget this is ls1tech and high horsepower is 550-900hp! My bad....its just that most cars I'm.used to seeing, 1500hp plus nitrous drag cars, we don't use em. Set ups are totally diff.

Most u guys have great points, some of you are just the reasons some forums don't hold credability. Its a discussion topic. Not a blast the idiot. But since you guys talk.****. I'm up for it, I'm a grudge racer and that's all we do, talk **** and race. So which one of u comedians go.first? How bout the funny guy with the billy madison video (funny btw)...wanna race buddy?
Old 09-14-2013 | 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

I have an alt on a race car. I also do not have to have a 55 lb battery. I have a 15 lb battery that will go dead in minutes if it did not have an alt.

I have never had one problem out of my alt battery setup other then leaving stuff on and it going dead.

A car that has to be charged between rounds may not be able to go back to back runs if needed.
Old 09-14-2013 | 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

****, I dropped the billy Madison video a page too soon

sorry guys
Old 09-14-2013 | 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Carb guy's get away with it easy. Fuel injected needs more power to run everything. Run 2 battery's or 1 battery and alt.

I run the alt. 1 battery route. Same belt all year, never flew. I go back to the pits and sit down, relax. No work to charge a battery or cool a motor since my electric fan/pump take care of that.
Don't know if a high 7 second car is considered "your race car". O-ya, I do drive it a lot on the street too.
Old 09-14-2013 | 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas
How bout the funny guy with the billy madison video (funny btw)...wanna race buddy?

That funny guy has a stock ls1 with a cam, stock heads, no power
Adder and a 6 speed. He runs mid 10's on DR's.
Imagine how bad he'd smoke your *** if he had 1500+hp
And not a measly 4xx rwhp.
Not everybody needs 1500+ hp to go fast, some people know
What their doing!
Old 09-14-2013 | 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

You never tolds us what kind of race car you have.
Old 09-14-2013 | 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If he has so much going on, he should have the alternator.

The stability for the electronics is the biggest factor in my build. I am running efi, so its practically a must for drag racing, when the pump is running full tilt to keep the engine with enough pressure to keep power maxed out..

Yes, each racer has his own preference.

Do we agree on those reasons, ALMOST NEVER...

Are we jerks? HELL YEAH!! Every one of us on here is a jerk about their build because of a couple reasons.
1) we either have more money than sense and just dont give a damn...
2) We build within both our technical and mechanical abilities and are on a budget
3) We bum from friends til they disown us for being such leeches, and then beat them with their own stuff.

I myself am the #2.. I am doing 99% of this myself because I dont have the finances to pay someone $40+ per hour to set up my truck my way. I am shooting for the best bang per buck, and leaving the alternator and even the power steering on for my project is just easier on me.. Less wear and tear on my body having to NOT wrestle it to the starting line by pushing it to save the battery, and not having to twist the ligaments in my shoulder wrestling the steering with a mini-spool in the rear end.

You should know, opinions are like ********, everyone has them and most of them stink!!
Old 09-14-2013 | 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Interesting thread lol btw I prefer the optima red top and an alt., less work in the pits = more racing
Old 09-14-2013 | 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

this is one of the things that people can do, it "works" for them but they just don't know any better, of what I already said.

Its not a right or wrong thing, do what you want.
Old 09-14-2013 | 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Hey—don't stop there. You need to drive naked at the track because clothes is extra weight.
Old 09-15-2013 | 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this thread reminds me of gator99's bitch *** complaining about "race wheel offset" with narrowed rear cars. I guess according to both these guys. all race cars need !alternator and narrowed rears. oh, and the tires can't stick out any, otherwise you're inbred.

I'm living life all sorts of wrong I guess
Old 09-15-2013 | 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This was my bad...I didn't take in account no one knows how to read, I said high horsepower race builds!! But I forget this is ls1tech and high horsepower is 550-900hp! My bad....its just that most cars I'm.used to seeing, 1500hp plus nitrous drag cars, we don't use em. Set ups are totally diff.

Most u guys have great points, some of you are just the reasons some forums don't hold credability. Its a discussion topic. Not a blast the idiot. But since you guys talk.****. I'm up for it, I'm a grudge racer and that's all we do, talk **** and race. So which one of u comedians go.first? How bout the funny guy with the billy madison video (funny btw)...wanna race buddy?
You sound like a real legend in your own mind...
Old 09-15-2013 | 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

f3r z06, runs an alternator and has around your 1500hp. Maybe that's why its only going 7's?
Old 09-15-2013 | 10:06 AM
Launching!

Sweet *** vette. ^^
I'm sorry guys I smoke a lot of weed and get on here sometimes high out of my.mind.
We have been having problems with a buddies truck and his electrical system. Im not against alts, but am open to this discussion. I guess most ls builds would definitely benefit from running an alt.
We deleted the alt and I gave him a race battery and gremlins went away. He's got a lot of stuff going on so still tracing the prob..
I drive a 68' outlaw camaro for the guy asking.
738 ci BBC
3 stage fogger. Through a glide.
Old 09-15-2013 | 10:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68 SS
You sound like a real legend in your own mind...
Only when I'm high. I'm done saying sorry. If you can't read my posts throughly and come to the conclusion that I'm a moron that's your perrogative. I have alts, on all my rides except the outlaw backhalf camaro. I under stand the need for voltage , especially with power adders. It is nice to see people.chime in though on there setups and the advantages/disadvantages.
Old 09-15-2013 | 10:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The_Bird
Hey—don't stop there. You need to drive naked at the track because clothes is extra weight.
Good jab, but in all seriousness, I know some guys that swear by buying everything lightweight.
Why do u think nylon fuel/nitrous lines are available instead of the steel braided...
The fastest p/x car frankie"the mad man" taylor even decided to not paint his car to save weight. (Ever hold a gallon of paint + a gallon of clear)
Carbon fiber wheel tubs instead of tin, I don't get it, these rich dudes spend thousands just to save a couple pounds. Youd think it be easier.just to get in the gym and lose the beer belly
Old 09-15-2013 | 10:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
If he has so much going on, he should have the alternator.

The stability for the electronics is the biggest factor in my build. I am running efi, so its practically a must for drag racing, when the pump is running full tilt to keep the engine with enough pressure to keep power maxed out..

Yes, each racer has his own preference.

Do we agree on those reasons, ALMOST NEVER...

Are we jerks? HELL YEAH!! Every one of us on here is a jerk about their build because of a couple reasons.
1) we either have more money than sense and just dont give a damn...
2) We build within both our technical and mechanical abilities and are on a budget
3) We bum from friends til they disown us for being such leeches, and then beat them with their own stuff.

I myself am the #2.. I am doing 99% of this myself because I dont have the finances to pay someone $40+ per hour to set up my truck my way. I am shooting for the best bang per buck, and leaving the alternator and even the power steering on for my project is just easier on me.. Less wear and tear on my body having to NOT wrestle it to the starting line by pushing it to save the battery, and not having to twist the ligaments in my shoulder wrestling the steering with a mini-spool in the rear end.

You should know, opinions are like ********, everyone has them and most of them stink!!
×100

Good post.
What are you building bro?
Old 09-15-2013 | 11:04 AM
Launching!

Lol this is fun both my buddies super comp dragster has alternator
Old 09-21-2013 | 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

I'd love to see the ratio of how many ''high horsepower'' builds on here with guys that have alternators would mop the floor with this alternator-less build.

The funny thing is, pulling the alt/belt would do much more for a low horsepower build than a high horsepower build.

Pulling the belt on a low horsepower car can net you up to .15 at the track, but in a high hp build (a true high hp build) you've already hit the point of diminishing returns.

Any possible gain is beyond negligible

Quick Reply: WHY, Alternators??!!!