Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help buying/installing seats, cage, and harnesses.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Need help buying/installing seats, cage, and harnesses.

I'm about to purchase two Kirkey Pro Streets, 5 point harnesses, racecraft brackets, and a 6 point weld in Wolfe rollbar. My question are really about in what order everything needs to go in. I'm under the impression the seats rest against the cage for support, well I'm a short guy 5,9, 165lbs and if that's the case won't my seat be a long way from the crossbar of the roll bar therefore not giving any support to the seat and I'll need something to take up the space? Do I need to get the rollbar in before I mount the seats or vice versa? Also I read about the layback degree on the seat and I know everyones different but does it really make that big of a difference? On a street/strip car what degree of layback are you guys usually running? I'm just a little in the dark about how I need to go about getting this stuff in the car correctly.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start looking around in here at other cars being built and you will start to see how it is done.
It really all gets mocked up and then weld the roll bar or cage in. Then mount the seat and belts.
Pay attention to quality built car and see how it is really done. Above all make sure things are safe. It may come in handy some day lol.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seat needs to be bolted to the cross brace. My seat is very close to the cross bar but I still use a back brace support that clamps to the cross bar and nbolts to the seat
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to mount your drives seat to dictate where everthing else goes. The rules are based off of keeping the person safe. The instructions thatvare included give you the order of installation as well.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe this'll help.

Cage first

Set the seats in before you weld the door bars for mock up

When you mark where you want the door bars, check, recheck and recheck and then pull the seats out and weld the door bars in. (No pics of this but it's self explanatory. Wish I had some though.)

Then paint the cage, then lay the carpet down and cut it to fit, install the seats and interior pieces and boom, you're ready to go.

I had a NHRA adjustable seat bracket for my seats that we made to fit and also an adjustable 3rd point connection behind the seat had a pin going through it so I could move the seat forward and back.

Anything you're going to weld, do that first.

I'm not sure my harnesses were set up correctly but I think your harnesses will come with instructions that tell you how they are designed to be mounted, what's legal and illegal etc.

I used the factory seatbelt hold down bolts and points. For the crotch belt we welded a tab to the floor and bolted that belt to it.

Last edited by armyboyatc; 09-26-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help buying/installing seats, cage, and harnesses.