Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 2-Step Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default MSD 2-Step Wiring Question

What should have been an easy install is giving me a headache. I hooked up the blue/white trigger wire to pin 32 (gray wire) on the blue pcm connector. Regardless of the clutch position, the light on the module stays illuminated indicating the 2-step is active. Thinking something may be up with my clutch switch, I tried to see if it would start without touching the clutch and it doesn't. In a last attempt, I considered to cruise control module being unplugged may be a problem. I plugged it in and same thing, the light stays on.

I read around and this seems to be how most folks install the module. The only difference here is my car is a LT1 with the EFI Connection LS1 PCM conversion. EFI gave me the same recommendation to tap the #32 pin.

Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Did some more testing today. I started the car with the trigger wire disconnected, coil plugs still hooked up. The light was off. I used a test light and was able to trigger the MSD box manually so I guess that means it works.

What I don't understand is why pin 32 on the PCM is getting constant power but I still cannot start the car without the clutch being in. Is there another circuit or pin I should be referencing?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not always power that is used as an input, sometimes its the absence of 12v that the pcm uses as an input.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BRUTL
Its not always power that is used as an input, sometimes its the absence of 12v that the pcm uses as an input.
Just to rule this out, I connected the ground trigger connector for the MSD box to the tapped pin32 wire for the CSS. The unit does not light up at all with the clutch in or out while running. I'm still confused since the car will not start without the clutch pressed in however the wire is giving constant 12V while running. Guess I need to work up a separate switch unless anyone has other ideas.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use either wire on thre two step to make it work on way is 12volt source the other is a ground source. the clutch swith should have power until the clutch is pushed in and should kill the power on that one wire
Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

I follow the functionality since it's rather simplistic. It just appears the pin 32 is getting a constant 12v. Buddy of mine mentioned there are two switches, one for the safety switch and the other for cruise control. Perhaps the cruise switch is faulty and delivering 12v all the time. I'm going to dig under the dash this weekend to test. I also bought a micro switch so I can just skip the whole pcm or switch tap idea all together.

Quick Reply: MSD 2-Step Wiring Question