Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Keeping the front down

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help Keeping the front down

So first off i know my rear shocks arent great, well actually junk. They are comp 3 way shocks which i cant even see how to adjust properly. But i have no time to get some rear shocks before MIR friday. Question is how can i keep the front down?? I have a suspension guy working with the car and it cuts 1.30-1.35's consistently but now i'm making more torque and it just comes right up. I did have eibach pro's in the rear because i liked the stance more than the 4wd height in the back with the stock 8cyl springs. But if i have to change the springs to keep it down i will. I have 3 sets Stock 8cyl stock 6cyl and the ProKit. I personally thought the pros would work best since they are stiffer but i'm obviously wrong. Thanks for any insight you guys can give me. Tire is a Mickey Thompson Pro......

Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have adjustable front shocks if so stiffen them up or you can buy Travel Limiters

http://www.madmanandcoracing.com/sho...aspx?itemid=12
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get some travel limiters and good front shocks.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chain the front down. The bounce throws the front end up.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These guys are spot on... You need transfer control. I can have you 4 shocks and limiters by Friday and you know MIR will be on kill!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stmz28
Do you have adjustable front shocks if so stiffen them up or you can buy Travel Limiters

http://www.madmanandcoracing.com/sho...aspx?itemid=12
I do have adjustable fronts (Viking DA) ill make some limiters and see how it works
Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
These guys are spot on... You need transfer control. I can have you 4 shocks and limiters by Friday and you know MIR will be on kill!
4? I already bought two fronts from you
I do need rear shocks but dont have time to dial them in by Thursday id need them tomorrow morning
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Chain the front down. The bounce throws the front end up.
I never knew what chaining the front down was but got it. Thanks!! Ill make something up for it
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you at adjustment wise on the front shock. Should be able to control it with the shock at that speed without limiting travel unless it's beyond the shocks ability.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
8 Second Club

So rear springs will do nothing? i will try all 3 tomorrow if i have to just to see which works best. i'm sure some extra height will keep it down up front. But again 8-9psi was almost touching the bumper. One pass i cut 1.44 with a 3psi launch and it pulled the tire about 3" off the ground. Again i have only one day and looking to be able to do something with what i have since there's no time for me to make drastic changes. If i have to pull the wheels way up to make a good pass with what i have so be it
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Where are you at adjustment wise on the front shock. Should be able to control it with the shock at that speed without limiting travel unless it's beyond the shocks ability.
Its 4 or 5 in rebound, over 3/4 compression right now
Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Its 4 or 5 in rebound, over 3/4 compression right now
Id tighten the front shock some and leave the rear springs alone. If you end up all the way tight on the front shock you may end up needing some better extension valving. Usually a limiter ends up being a bandaid for lack of shock control.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,203 Likes on 771 Posts

You'd only run the limiters full loose for a junk track or to put on a wheelie show. There is a direct 1:1 correlation of cars on the bumper and no or fully loose chains.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Not really I've been 1.1's on a killer track on the ground with no limiters on the car. I agree they do belong on a car but most of the time people use them as a bandaid.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not really getting high enough to be much of a problem. A lot of SS cars get that high all the time.

That bouncing on landing is as bad as I have ever seen. My AFCOs weren't that bad, but their BNC valving they are so proud of, full tight, never stopped it. Ran the AFCO fronts full tight both ways. Could not keep the front end down without using limiters also, and could not stop that bounce.
Santuff fronts fixed both problems. No bouncy now. 6 clicks from full tight on compression, most tracks 1 1/2 turns from full tight on extension. 1/4 turn adjustments on extension are as far as I have had to go this year.
Down side, waiting period. They can't seem to build them fast enough.
For now I would tighten those things you have now as tight as they will go, both ways.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You need to tighten your front shocks dramatically. I'd do that way before putting limiters on the front end. See what happens. Limiters are a crutch but can be useful depending on what shocks you are running and what the car is doing.
Has nothing to do with the rear of the car.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya I think you still have adjustment in the shocks, to help like turbostangjon said. The comp at 3-4 is way soft, it shouldnt slam bottom out that bad. the pedal did help with the power cut, but loose like the shocks arnt going much at the 3-4 comp still. I'd crank them up 7-8 next, (that might change the ext, they say it shouldn't but some shocks do) and more untill it gets bouncy.... if it dose, but you should be adding power there that will help on that.
tighten the ext 2 more, looks like to have to getting weight on the back with the power and suspension, so let the shocks control it, you dont need them loose to do it like a low power car.

travel limiters would be good to have. you should be able to bolt the lower chain/cable to the swaybar hole, or the shock bolt with a L braket. And just have to weld the tabs over that in the wheel well, paint, done 1-2hours...
MIR the track will be perfect and lock the tire on, its not going to be chattering like the 1st vid did. Look at the limiters as a tuning thing, that they add the weight of the wheel, spindle,upper/lower A arm sooner. Then the full travel extension, that amount of time that takes as the car is moving forward. You can add that weight sooner (when the tire comes off the ground)
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
You'd only run the limiters full loose for a junk track or to put on a wheelie show. There is a direct 1:1 correlation of cars on the bumper and no or fully loose chains.
We don't have limiters on our car.. but we can tighten up the shock so tight it is essentially a limiter. What we're really talking about is controlling the extension of the shock. Better to do with valving than mechanically.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by studderin
ya I think you still have adjustment in the shocks, to help like turbostangjon said. The comp at 3-4 is way soft, it shouldnt slam bottom out that bad. the pedal did help with the power cut, but loose like the shocks arnt going much at the 3-4 comp still. I'd crank them up 7-8 next, (that might change the ext, they say it shouldn't but some shocks do) and more untill it gets bouncy.... if it dose, but you should be adding power there that will help on that.
tighten the ext 2 more, looks like to have to getting weight on the back with the power and suspension, so let the shocks control it, you dont need them loose to do it like a low power car.
I think he needs to tighten way more than 2 clicks on extension. If this was my car I would go 7/8 tight on extension and see what happens... with no other changes.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya I'm not sure if turning up the comp is gona add on the ext valve, like some of the cheap shocks do. the one change at a time thing, but dosnt have time to baby step it. but your probaly right it will end up liking more, but on the right track

Quick Reply: Help Keeping the front down