Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Must say, I never thought of doing it like that.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Must say, I never thought of doing it like that.
See how you didn't think of something yet it works for someone else!? How someone has a different approach to something for a different reason!? How what works for you may not work for someone else!? Sit back and think for a minute, you'll learn even more than you know now. You ever see those 20 somethings that think they know it all and end up becoming Billionaires? Reminds me of Apple.....
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
9-Second Club

Your comparing yourself to someone like that?? LMAO!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, I just have to ask: Who do you know stupid enough to hold the lone lock button down while driving, to ever apply the brakes while doing it?
And if you actually do know somebody that dumb, are you dumb enough to loan them your car?

Been racing over 50 years now, had line locks since they were first introduced not long after I started. I have never seen a line lock button fail, other than the rubber band that holds them to the shift lever break. Have, however seen toggle switches fail. An extra toggle switch is just one more thing to go wrong.
Guys down here have their line locks on toggle switches because we don't need anything to hold us at the line. Our tracks are flat. I have been to 3 different tracks down here with my 6 speed manual vette and never had to touch the brakes to stage my car and it stays still at the line. We only use a line lock for the burn out and that's it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:15 PM
9-Second Club

Most tracks are flat. LOL

Low drag brakes & wheel bearings, high air pressure skinny fronts, make a car roll easier. If your car doesn't roll that easily and you go in far enough, the wind never blows, etc, and your car sits there OK, you can probably get away with that. Hope your clutch never drags enough to move your car. Most sharp drivers run an adjustable stop on the clutch pedal/linkage to barely release the clutch for quicker shifts. That will often make the car tend to move when revved high enough. Doesn't sound like some of you guys aren't "there".

Hope your car never moves, causing a red light.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Your comparing yourself to someone like that?? LMAO!!!
Go drive your street car with the line lock on, hopefully you're right here and nothing happens....
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM
9-Second Club

I am not stupid enough to mount the BUTTON where it could be accidentally pressed. People that would do that should NOT be modifying cars.

If somebody were to use a toggle switch instead of the button designed for a line lock, then was dumb enough to mount it where it could be accidentally turned on, they would most certainly have a safety issue.
Self induced due to stupidity, but still a safety problem.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

I am not stupid enough to mount the BUTTON where it could be accidentally pressed. People that would do that should NOT be modifying cars.

If somebody were to use a toggle switch instead of the button designed for a line lock, then was dumb enough to mount it where it could be accidentally turned on, they would most certainly have a safety issue.
Self induced due to stupidity, but still a safety problem.
Oh ok....I thought you said you have mounted them on shifters. I like to keep mine accessible personally, being strapped in to a racing seat there is only so much your arms can comfortably reach to. As I had originally stated, I may lend my car out time to time and I don't go over what every button and switch does. I simply make my car safe for anyone to use. I still don't understand how extra precaution is wrong and dumb and lmao and whatever else you came up with. I guess maybe since I'm coming from a perspective where the car is still used on the street as often as I please. Maybe racecars with one driver/crew can get away with what you hold as the ultimate truth?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
9-Second Club

I have mine (the button that has come with real line locks for ever) on the collumn tilt lever. Others have them on the shift lever, on the front edge of the lever, out of the way unless you need it. Many stick guys use the Tee Handle with the button in the end for your thumb. Can't imagine a normal person driving down the street holding that one in either. How anybody could inadvertanly press one any of the places is beyond me.

If somebody bought an off-brand that came with no button, and use a toggle switch, I would hope they would put it in the ash tray (hoping whoever borrows the car does not smoke. lol) or some other place out of the way.

Who would borrow a car and just try out all the switches and buttons they see anyway? Nobody bright, or over 15.

They would certainly not be anybody I would loan a car to.

Nor, anybody that smokes, :-)

More wiring, switches and relays are just more things to have problems with. The KISS principle works well for most people. "Keep It Simple Stupid".
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mine (the button that has come with real line locks for ever) on the collumn tilt lever. Others have them on the shift lever, on the front edge of the lever, out of the way unless you need it. Many stick guys use the Tee Handle with the button in the end for your thumb. Can't imagine a normal person driving down the street holding that one in either. How anybody could inadvertanly press one any of the places is beyond me.

If somebody bought an off-brand that came with no button, and use a toggle switch, I would hope they would put it in the ash tray (hoping whoever borrows the car does not smoke. lol) or some other place out of the way.

Who would borrow a car and just try out all the switches and buttons they see anyway? Nobody bright, or over 15.

More wiring, switches and relays are just more things to have problems with. The KISS principle works well for most people. "Keep It Simple Stupid".
Were all big kids Ed hence we still "play with cars". So when you tell a kid to not touch something, what do they do? TOUCH IT!!!

I have a buddy who has a 99 T/A with H/C. He and I both weigh around the 250 mark. We have an old school racer friend that weighs 130 lbs soaking wet so we threw him in the car and told him to not shift the car like his MVB th350 Nova. We told him 6 times not to manually shift it. Guess what he does? Yup, you guessed it.

No matter what you do, if your car is more of a street car, you have to make everything dummy proof
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

The whole, "I wonder what this does." comes to my mind. Between that and towing, I see enough carnage that I want to avoid it as much as I can. Sorry I take the extra step to be safe.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T-handle with button for thumb and NEVER had a issue in years and years of use. Ed Wright is Right!!! LOL

Quick Reply: What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?