Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?

Got a used SJM ABS delete and line lock kit. It came with everything except the button/switch for the interior. What is the best kind of button/switch to buy and use? Wheres the best place to put it? Right on the shifter ****? Pics would help. Thanks! 95 Trans Am
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one from The Emblem Pros on here and it was a plate I put in the ash tray. Works great.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used the factory rear defrost switch in the factory location (my car doesn't have rear defrost).
Old 12-14-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

It seems like to me with a 6 speed I would want it really close to the shifter. A momentary switch might be better than an on/off switch I think.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted it below the lighter/ update; sorry, just seen it was a bird.
Attached Thumbnails What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?-linelock-switch.jpg  
Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
It seems like to me with a 6 speed I would want it really close to the shifter. A momentary switch might be better than an on/off switch I think.
I have never heard of anybody NOT using a momentary switch for a line lock. I'm surprised anybody sells a line lock without a button. I've never heard of sjm, but have to wonder why they would not include a button. I use a genuine Lone Loc, and have the button that came with it, which has a rubber band-type mount for shift levers, etc. I have mine on my turn signal lever. With a stick car, everybody I know has it on the shifter lever, or in the shift ****.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My SJM kit came with a momentary button. I mounted mine inside the ashtray.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
. I'm surprised anybody sells a line lock without a button. I've never heard of sjm, but have to wonder why they would not include a button.
I got all of it used for $50.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

I bought a used SLP kit for mine way back when, and it didn't come with the switch.

I got one of these with the red LED to show when the line-lock was engaged, from the local auto parts:

And installed it about in between where the two foglight switches are here:

I had an M6, and I really liked that it wasn't momentary. At the track I could roll through the waterbox, engage the line-lock, start my burnout in second gear, shift to 3rd, hold my RPM's steady where and how long I wanted, then flip the line-lock off and roll out of my burn-out. Made it a very repeatable and consistent process for me. Where the switch was located was easily accessible with my shifting hand, but never in the way.

And the once or twice that I used it outside of the track, it made it easy to run all the way through 4th gear for that extra wheel speed to make for a GREAT smokeshow!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 AM
9-Second Club

How do you hold it on the starting line? One foot on the clutch, other on the gas, what makes it sit still in the staging beam? With a stick car, that is primarily what it is for. That is why the original Line Loc was invented, to hold the on the starting line. Can't say that I have ever seen anybody shift a stick car in the water box. Everybody I know just starts out in high gear.

A lot of guys might want to go to an NHRA or IHRA points race, or national event and look over some Stock or Super Stock cars, and also hang around close to the starting line when they run to learn how to run your cars. Don't think you will see too many "smoke shows". :-)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

I'm glad i'm not the only one that didn't understand how a line lock wouldn't have a button in the shifter. I just bought a 6 speed car and I want mine on the shifter also. Ed, Is the company you purchased yours from still around?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

this is the one that a lot use on the shifter...
Old 12-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

^^^^Thanks Doug. Can you tell me who makes that or could I find one from Summit Racing or along those lines?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bluelbz
^^^^Thanks Doug. Can you tell me who makes that or could I find one from Summit Racing or along those lines?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=line+lock+button

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/248-3875/10002/-1
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
9-Second Club

Hurst, the shifter people, makes the line lock kit I use. Jegs part number is 530-5000, cost $89.95. Comes with the button shown above. Many, with a threaded shift lever use their T-handle with the button on the thumb end of the handle.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
How do you hold it on the starting line? One foot on the clutch, other on the gas, what makes it sit still in the staging beam? With a stick car, that is primarily what it is for. That is why the original Line Loc was invented, to hold the on the starting line. Can't say that I have ever seen anybody shift a stick car in the water box. Everybody I know just starts out in high gear.

A lot of guys might want to go to an NHRA or IHRA points race, or national event and look over some Stock or Super Stock cars, and also hang around close to the starting line when they run to learn how to run your cars. Don't think you will see too many "smoke shows". :-)
I never use the line-lock in the pre-stage/stage beams. Same reason that a line-lock shouldn't be wired together with a transbrake, if the solonoid doesn't release you would be leaving the line with the front brakes locked up.

For me, my left foot holds the clutch, inside of my right foot holds the brake while the outside of my right foot modulates the throttle. And my car wasn't ever anything more than a street strip car, and who doesn't enjoy a fun burnout every once in awhile?!?
Old 12-28-2013, 06:02 PM
9-Second Club

I agree, it would take one stupid SOB to wire the Trans brake & line lock together. LOL

Have to say, your the only guy I know trying to drive a stick car, holding it in the beams with the foot brake.

I really don't know anybody else impressed by a lot of tire smoke. Most people just shake their heads when they see somebody do that. Never see that where I race, just sometimes at a Friday night test n tune. What ever flips your switch. You still might want to go to an NHRA points race, and talk to a couple of the faster Stock or Super Stock stick racers. If you politely ask questions, and not tell them how you do things, or how fast your car is, they will probably help you.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

I just bought me a Hurst Sidewinder shift **** to go on my Pro 5-0 shifter. The **** has a button in it that I can wire into my line lock.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 PM
9-Second Club

Good choice.

Quick Reply: What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?