Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If you did not have an off-on switch on your line lock, and loaned your car to your mother, and she accidentally hit the line lock button, what do you suppose would happen?
Ed, I know how a line lock works so please stop trying to talk down to me. I feel more comfortable having my circuit wired with a master on/off switch as well as a momentary switch since it uses the cruise control and asr switches. What if your momentary switch broke while in the burnout box? Oh right, nothing ever breaks. Just because you or the super stock guys do something doesn't mean its the bible.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just trying to keep guys from doing things wrong. You might consider not trying to give advice when you don't actually know all that much.

If my button broke in the water box it would cease to function.

Your master cut-off is supposed to shut off everything.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-31-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Just trying to keep guys from doing things wrong. You might consider not trying to give advice when you don't actually know all that much.

If my button broke in the water box it would cease to function.

Your master cut-off is supposed to shut off everything.
Ed, what do you suppose would happen if you were holding the button driving down the road then hit the brakes in a panic stop to avoid an accident?

You might consider thinking outside the box instead of in your close-minded world before considering your reply as appropriate for all circumstances that may occur. I'm just trying to keep people safe.

I suppose in all of your experience you have never had a momentary switch fail in the "on" position? Not all cars run a master cutoff switch nor would there be a need for it especially if you had an on/off switch for the circuit in question. Again, what you do and what the rest of the world does may not coincide and that doesn't make it wrong yet you seem to believe otherwise.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 PM
9-Second Club

Sorry, I just have to ask: Who do you know stupid enough to hold the lone lock button down while driving, to ever apply the brakes while doing it?
And if you actually do know somebody that dumb, are you dumb enough to loan them your car?

Been racing over 50 years now, had line locks since they were first introduced not long after I started. I have never seen a line lock button fail, other than the rubber band that holds them to the shift lever break. Have, however seen toggle switches fail. An extra toggle switch is just one more thing to go wrong.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

I guess you are one of those "If I haven't seen it, it isn't true" kinda people. My line lock is the accel momentary portion of the cruise control switch. Stupid people keep me in business!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM
9-Second Club

Probably owned more line locks than you have seen.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

If you hit the LL switch, driving down the street, you just want have front brakes.
The solenoid won't let fluid pass to the front brakes.
Why is everyone doing burnouts in the water box?
You roll through the water box, not spinning your tires.
Then do your burnout on the back edge of the water box.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM
9-Second Club

I can not imagine somebody stupid enough to push the line lock button while driving down the street, but since I see that mentioned so often here they must exist.

Btw, that Cruise Control circuit is not very robust. Not sure how long I would trust that running an electric solenoid. LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM
9-Second Club

And, you are correct about the burn outs. Only people you see sitting in the water making steam & smoke are the test-n-tune street kids. Nobody with a clue.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Probably owned more line locks than you have seen.
Your childish comments and mightier than you attitude really show who you are.

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
If you hit the LL switch, driving down the street, you just want have front brakes.
The solenoid won't let fluid pass to the front brakes.
Why is everyone doing burnouts in the water box?
You roll through the water box, not spinning your tires.
Then do your burnout on the back edge of the water box.
Your front brakes do the majority of your braking so I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me here?

I can not imagine somebody stupid enough to push the line lock button while driving down the street, but since I see that mentioned so often here they must exist.

Btw, that Cruise Control circuit is not very robust. Not sure how long I would trust that running an electric solenoid. LOL
I use this fancy shmancy dudad called a RELAY! But keep it coming Ed, you have an answer for everything about how something you don't do is wrong. I'm really starting to enjoy it!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
9-Second Club

I remember being in my twenties, thinking I knew a better way to do everything, knew more than everybody else.

Then you grow up and realize the companies making this stuff aren't stupid after all, and the most people do things the same way for a reason.

Relays fail more often than momentary switches also.

The KISS method works pretty well.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

All I'm saying is, if someone hits the LL switch while driving, you want have front breaks until you cut the switch back off.
Just because you may accidentally hit the switch, doesn't mean the front brakes are going to lock up.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM
9-Second Club

Why in the world would anybody put that switch where they could accidentally press it while driving?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Mr. Wright is only trying to prevent others from causing an accident and/or getting themselves hurt. Sometimes getting a blunt answer is because he cares for your safety and the safety of others. Take advantage of the experience of others!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Remember, the switch I posted ? Inside looks like a micro switch for a WOT nitrous switch.
They work like a doorbell button....only when pressed.....could they fail ? yes... do contacts weld them selves closed sometimes ? yes.

Have I heard of one stuck closed ? no....but breaking and not working ? yes.

Not saying it couldn't happen though.....Murphy's Law
Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Remember, the switch I posted ? Inside looks like a micro switch for a WOT nitrous switch.
They work like a doorbell button....only when pressed.....could they fail ? yes... do contacts weld them selves closed sometimes ? yes.

Have I heard of one stuck closed ? no....but breaking and not working ? yes.

Not saying it couldn't happen though.....Murphy's Law

Put it somewhere that's not easy to hit accidently or on a cord used only during race days ?

inside the switch looks a lot like this

Last edited by Doug G; 01-04-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 AM
9-Second Club

I have the normal Line Lock button that normally goes on the shift lever of a manual Trans shifter lever on my tilt column lever. Easy to reach when needed, not going to be accidentally applied. Before I would use a micro switch shown above (low amps ) and I found myself buying a line lock kit with no button (I wouldn't) I would use a spring loaded toggle first. I personally would not add more switches or relays, just more things to give you problems. People that have done this a long time (not just me) have learned to not do that. Some of us the hard way.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
Now for a Monkey wrench in the mix.....I've even heard some install in in the rear line and use to prevent pressure to the rear brakes. This I don't understand.
I would want it in the front to hold me still in a stick car to make the burn out easier and/or to hold me on the line staged.....easier with 2 feet and 3 pedals
I ran mine in the rear line on my procharged auto silverado. I only did this to avoid all the plumbing of the abs system. It was just used for burnouts in the waterboxand then foot braked in the beams. A lot of the truck guys do this. As for the LL in my m6 car I use a momentary switch on the handle and an sjm kit
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by goinfast
I ran mine in the rear line on my procharged auto silverado. I only did this to avoid all the plumbing of the abs system. It was just used for burnouts in the waterboxand then foot braked in the beams. A lot of the truck guys do this. As for the LL in my m6 car I use a momentary switch on the handle and an sjm kit
You locked the REAR brakes to do a burn out?

Your truck front wheel drive?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha no I would hold the button then put on the brakes stopped pressure from goin to the rear brakes. It worked well. It's like the old redneck way to do big burnouts, put a pair of vice grips on the rear brake hose lol

Quick Reply: What button/switch to use for line lock and where to put it?