Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60' is getting worse :( killin my ET

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

26x11.5 is too much tire? its pretty close to the stock tire. The rearend feels ok. Both tires spin when doin burnouts. Is there a way to check?

Even with the stock street tires, my times are slower. The snowflakes with the et streets are 10 pounds lighter than the TA wheels that were on the car when it ran 13.1. If I dont do a good burnout they will spin.

I dont feel the trans slipping. Ive never had hptuners hooked up at the track. Ill try to do that next time.

I pulled the tune as of now. I lost 2 tenths without it.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Is the rearend messing up at all, wonder if bad bearings could slow you down at all
Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
Is the rearend messing up at all, wonder if bad bearings could slow you down at all
Increased friction, so yes, it would - how much it would be tough to say.

26x11.5 is too much tire? its pretty close to the stock tire. The rearend feels ok. Both tires spin when doin burnouts. Is there a way to check?
stock tires are drag radials / slicks...when was the last time your stock tires picked up every single rock as you went around the pitts?

Think about it, the tire is sticky so that it grabs the road and holds you to it so you get traction- that same friction also slows you down as you are going down the track. You want the smallest possible tire you can run while still getting traction

If 9 second cars need/use an 11.5" tire, why would a 13 second car need it? lol

Take a scan and lets see what that says... about how the car is running...
Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Naw, Everythin still moves easily by hand when the car is lifted. Had bad bearings from the start
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
Increased friction, so yes, it would - how much it would be tough to say.

stock tires are drag radials / slicks...when was the last time your stock tires picked up every single rock as you went around the pitts?

Think about it, the tire is sticky so that it grabs the road and holds you to it so you get traction- that same friction also slows you down as you are going down the track. You want the smallest possible tire you can run while still getting traction

If 9 second cars need/use an 11.5" tire, why would a 13 second car need it? lol

Take a scan and lets see what that says... about how the car is running...

lol ye I know what you mean. I didnt see this the last time I posted. Its hard to imagine that a tire that is preventing me from spinning out of the whole and into 2nd would cost me half a second or more. I should try the tires that came with the car again.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
lol ye I know what you mean. I didnt see this the last time I posted. Its hard to imagine that a tire that is preventing me from spinning out of the whole and into 2nd would cost me half a second or more. I should try the tires that came with the car again.
well if the tires are the only change from running the faster times to running the slower times... that is the only logical explanation...

Tires can make a huge impact on times...that is why guys invest so much money in drag tires and rims.

We saw this in the v6 work a lot, guys not doing much to add power, but putting in a posi and grabbing radials after they went to the track and spun a hair, and then going back and running incredibly slower to.

and If you're spinning at 25psi in those radials running 13.1, your radials are probably old and hard.

My 6 with a stall converter ran a 13.4 and it leaves the line much harder than my LS does and I had 26x11.5 tires (which was wayyy too much tire, but what I had at the time) and I didn't spin them when I was running 30psi. And that 6 should have run in the high 12's if I didnt lean out all the way down the track.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran the 13.1 with street tires the first time. With the nittos I ran a 13.1. pulled my interior out, kept the tires on, came back and ran 13.3's. My 60 ft is now 2.05 to 2.07 (Ive lost a whole tenth of a second here). my 1/4 et is pretty consistent around 13.45 @105
Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im losing track of what took place at each event.

I went to the track, ran 13.1

Came back the next week with a tune, ran slower

came back with all the same **** except took the seets and some plastic parts out...ran slower.

Came back with nittos, ran slower

Came back with slicks, ran slower lol. I think its the transmission OR temperature. Im sure the tires can be slowing me down but I would think my 60 would be faster. Not lose a whole tenth. I went to the track without the tune and made 2 passes. one was a 13.71 the other was 13.69. Put the tune back on, ran a 13.42 and stayed pretty close to that all night
Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

I think you're just seeing the effects of how much the DA can change your times at the track. Once fall comes around your times will go back down. Also, are you staging the same spot every time? You can lose a tenth or so just staging a little deeper, on a 13 second car maybe even two tenths depending on how deep you stage. For running all out best ET's you want to just barely trip the second light, this will give you the longest possible running start.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I think you're just seeing the effects of how much the DA can change your times at the track. Once fall comes around your times will go back down. Also, are you staging the same spot every time? You can lose a tenth or so just staging a little deeper, on a 13 second car maybe even two tenths depending on how deep you stage. For running all out best ET's you want to just barely trip the second light, this will give you the longest possible running start.
explain? You have about 3" or less to move the car on the beams while staging, it should not effect your time at all when talking tenths...maybe hundreths or thousands

Im losing track of what took place at each event.

I went to the track, ran 13.1

Came back the next week with a tune, ran slower

came back with all the same **** except took the seets and some plastic parts out...ran slower.

Came back with nittos, ran slower

Came back with slicks, ran slower lol. I think its the transmission OR temperature. Im sure the tires can be slowing me down but I would think my 60 would be faster. Not lose a whole tenth. I went to the track without the tune and made 2 passes. one was a 13.71 the other was 13.69. Put the tune back on, ran a 13.42 and stayed pretty close to that all night
This is your biggest problem lol...you need to keep a log if you are going to compare runs...what was done to the car, what the DA was, and what lane you ran in.

If you ran different after the tune, and the DA conditions and track conditions were the same...maybe the tune is junk. You have lots of variables here.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a log and I write small notes like what i did to the car. But Ive thrown so many slips away from nights where the car was either inconsistent or too much spinning....

How can I find the DA and BP? I usually only keep track of the temp. I feel the car should run 12.7's. I find it hard to believe I would lose a second from anything other than a mechanical issue.....but if I knew, I wouldnt be here asking.

Thanks guys. I plan on running friday and saturday. Ill try to write the DA, BP and humidity on my log
Old 06-01-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

download an app called autodensity
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 AM
10 Second Club

explain? You have about 3" or less to move the car on the beams while staging, it should not effect your time at all when talking tenths...maybe hundreths or thousands
Just Google deep staging and the effects on times. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=573933
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Just Google deep staging and the effects on times. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=573933
Interesting- I still have a hard time seeing how it can cost you a tenth given how little the roll out on the beams are, but good read nontheless...get's me thinking anyways.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Interesting- I still have a hard time seeing how it can cost you a tenth given how little the roll out on the beams are, but good read nontheless...get's me thinking anyways.
Next time you go to the track try it, you will be a believer. I bump just a tad after staging. My reaction times are soo much better but everything else suffers.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats just a tenth or so. Im losing a tenth at the 60 foot and a half a second at the quarter. Im at the same spot every time.

A dude in my club hasnt made any changes this season except take his seats out. He started by runnin 12.9's. He started doing better burn outs and ever since he has been 12.4 one week to 12.3 the next week. He gets faster every week. I think Its the trans.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Next time you go to the track try it, you will be a believer. I bump just a tad after staging. My reaction times are soo much better but everything else suffers.
I haven't raced the LS1 yet but I would always shallow stage the six- albeit I never bracket raced so it is probably irrelevant anyways...I used to just try to touch the stage light...I used to always cut .100 - .200 reaction times pretty consistently which I always thought was good considering I'd take the car to the strip maybe 3-4 times a year and make about 3 passes each time.

Reaction time was just good at inflating my ego and burning guys off the line all the time

I really really wish I still had that car!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

(y) Thats Thumbs up on face book lol.

If you get a chance go bracket race! With my last Camaro I was gettin .0 reactions. Wish I could do that in this bird. I'll figure it out.

This **** is just depressing lol
Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Track tomorrow night! lets see if it gets worse or stays the same. No changes
Old 06-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Banned

let us know the results

Quick Reply: 60' is getting worse :( killin my ET