Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light weight wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Light weight wiring harness

Those of you that modified your stock wiring harness for all the crap you took out was it worth it? I've deleted the ac and hvac the abs is gone and so is the cruise control and maf sensor. How difficult was it? Where are the unplugging points? Does the abs and cruise and hvac all connect together to the engine harness? I just need a starting point for attempting this?
Old 12-28-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I plan on doing is buying a spare harness and following each wiring and just taking out the ones I don't need and clean them all up and 're loom them. Whether it's a weight difference or not, probably not that much but it's less clutter under the hood and just less stuff that go wrong.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be a good winter job.
Not hard at all, start by taking your fuse boxes out and go from there.
You will see all the connection plugs. There's a big black junction box that goes through the driver's side firewall, that's the one that will be a bitch. Once the wires go into that junction box you can't tell which wire is which on the other side. You will have to ohm them out. The wires don't change color but you may have 3 blue wires in and 3 blue wire out. You can't tell which blue wire goes to which blue wire.
Or you just leave the junction box and cut you wires at the box.
Just takes some time. Sure cleans up your engine bay.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a very time consuming project. For the bulkhead connector that goes through the firewall, just put it in some hot water and the glue will come off.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something I was also planning on doing this winter. I was thinking of starting with the engine bay harness, then move on to the engine harness, and then move on into the interior. Removeing abs, traction control, cruise control, wheel sensors, washer pump, AC, air pump and EGR circuits. Moving on to the inside, when I do my cage since and the interior will be gutted anyway. I will remove the air bag, seat harness and what ever else I can fine. I will also take the time to rewire some other stuff like the nitrous, wide band and t-brake at the same time. I'll collect all the wiring and weigh it and post it here.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
It's a very time consuming project. For the bulkhead connector that goes through the firewall, just put it in some hot water and the glue will come off.
Wish I'd known that when I did mine.
Great tip!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

^^ +1!! I sat there with a razor blade and pulled it apart one wire at a time, took like 1/2 hr lol
Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I relocated my underhood harness inside the car and under the dash. It is a major pain in the ***, but with that being said, I am still very glad I did it. Not only did I delete a TON of things that my car was not using (A/c, hvac, radio, power seats, etc, etc) but if you bring the loom inside the car, you basically get to cut about 10ft of wires out of a loom that contains about 20-25 wires. End result? I literally lost 20lbs of weight out of the car in wires/connectors alone. And the engine bay looks much less cluttered, and much more purpose built. Glad I did it, but would never want to do it again, haha.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have any pics of your setup under your dash? I was thinking with the passenger airbag removed I would have alil more room to mount stuff there and it will be hidden.

Also thought about mounting some things on the glove box door and making slits for the wires to go through so when the door was opened it wouldn't pinch or stretch any wires. So many things can be done with the wiring if you have the time and patience.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

For the engine, I think its worth paying for an aftermarket swap harness without EGR, AC, blah blah blah.

For the other engine bay harnesses and interior, TIME CONSUMING.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCott5
You have any pics of your setup under your dash? I was thinking with the passenger airbag removed I would have alil more room to mount stuff there and it will be hidden.

Also thought about mounting some things on the glove box door and making slits for the wires to go through so when the door was opened it wouldn't pinch or stretch any wires. So many things can be done with the wiring if you have the time and patience.
Sure. It is not the cleanest setup in the entire world, but it is functional. I decided to solder every connection when I did mine, and so that is what takes a bunch of time.
Attached Thumbnails Light weight wiring harness-20140327_181439.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Sure. It is not the cleanest setup in the entire world, but it is functional. I decided to solder every connection when I did mine, and so that is what takes a bunch of time.
That looks very purpose built. What did you do about closing the firewall?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
That looks very purpose built. What did you do about closing the firewall?
Yeah I have had the firewall delete done for quite a while now, but I just had it off to run the wires through. Here is a picture of it. I just took cardboard to get the shape and size, and then I used two pieces of aluminum sheet riveted together, and just bolted her on in. (One piece was not sufficient in thickness by NHRA standards for a firewall)
Attached Thumbnails Light weight wiring harness-20140409_181136.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like that dipstick setup.

And that is basically all wiring from the front?

Did you unpin the items you were not using anymore? I guess I need to just buy a spare harness and start this project.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dumb question but are the fuse blocks tied into all wiring harnesses or does one box go to say body harness and the other to the engine harness?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

98s have a completely different engine harness right? I've got a junked 98 T56 car.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to bump this up because I am starting this project. Deleted enough stuff out of the front of the car finally to make this a very reasonable mod. I don't want to relocate the fuse boxes yet. Just want to get rid of the unnecessary things that I have deleted. cc, abs, ac, went speed density, evap and other little things.

So any more tips from people who have done this? Am I wrong in thinking I can buy a spare engine harness and follow all the wires to where they pin into the connector and un pin it and then with the wires I have left just unplug my current engine harness and plug the new one in?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCott5
So any more tips from people who have done this? Am I wrong in thinking I can buy a spare engine harness and follow all the wires to where they pin into the connector and un pin it and then with the wires I have left just unplug my current engine harness and plug the new one in?
Tips? I can sum it up in one word. BEER

Layout the complete harness and label BOTH ends of all wires. Then start marking PULL or STAY. From there it makes it an overall easier and cleaner process so you can buy replacement loom, sleeves, cable clips, etc. Then you pull them exactly like you said, unpin from PCM side and start working it out from there to the end. Clean up all grounds while you have it out.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If you spend the money you can call race wire solutions and he can build a harness for you I bet.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Old thread bump. I ran out of time to do this last winter but there is some weight savings to be had. For now I just cut the stereo/amp/antenna wire that runs along the passenger door all the way to the back of the car. Easy to delete and was worth around 4-5lbs IIRC.

Quick Reply: Light weight wiring harness