Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brakes really necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 03:10 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trailer brakes are a must. i've towed without them and regretted it. just last month they saved somones life. i was one the way to the track towing my 24ft enclosed with my car inside with a 3500 chevy dually pulling.driving at 50mph a deer ran out in the road a truck one car ahead of me hit the deer i applied the brakes when i saw the deer come across the median the woman following the truck slammed on her brakes and came to a complete stop. at this point i hit the emergency switch on the brake box and locked the trailer brakes i slid and left black marks for 183 feet before impact 183 feet is farther than recommended following distance so i wasn't following to close or speeding as the speed limit was 55. i folded the womans corolla up like a tin can pushing the backseat into the back of the front seats and sending her to the hospital. if it hadn't been for the trailer brakes she would be dead period and my wife and i may have been injured along with who knows what damage to my car. i recieved a reckless driving ticket because i rear ended her even though she is the one who came to a complete stop in a 55mph zone and the guy who hit the deer got off the road. i did everything i could to prevent the accident but still got the ticket. sorry for the long post.
p.s. a little food for thought a c5 requires 142ft to brake from 60-0 remember that a truck and a trailer with a car on it stop harder than a c5 so how did they expect me to get stopped.