Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear coilover vs shock

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rear coilover vs shock

At what point is a coilover needed over a shock? Currently I have a strange single adjustable rear shock and BMR springs. I am selling the shocks to upgrade to AFCOs double adjustable shocks or the coilover setup. its a turbo auto car that does mostly 1/8th mile. So with the people that went to coilover at what 60' did you make the switch and how much did it help? I don't see my car doing better than low 1.3.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I dont know that there is a solid advantage other then ride height adjustment.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott there is really no magic number for a break point, but what I can tell you is none of the real quick cars are on stock spring location. When you are making the wholesale switch on the rear shock package then the coil overs are a great idea. The benefits are far better than any drawbacks so it just becomes a point of why not, not why.

Get with me on the rear Afco shocks... you know I will hook you up with the right stuff and best price!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I know that I have personally worked with a local guy here in our area that consistently went 1.25-1.26 60ft times with QA1 double adjustable rear shocks and our BMR lowering springs. I have also talked with guys that have gone higher 1.1X 60ft times with springs in the factory location. Now with that being said if it was me personally and I was swapping out my rear shocks on my car I would go ahead and spend a little extra and do the coil-overs.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get the full advantage you would need to be able to adjust spring mount height on the chassis too as well as the coilover or you could put the shock out of its ideal travel range.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eric I will give the shop a call Monday. I think it was Kevin who gave me some prices for a coil over setup already but I would like to talk the setup over to see which would be a better route to take.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I know that I have personally worked with a local guy here in our area that consistently went 1.25-1.26 60ft times with QA1 double adjustable rear shocks and our BMR lowering springs. I have also talked with guys that have gone higher 1.1X 60ft times with springs in the factory location. Now with that being said if it was me personally and I was swapping out my rear shocks on my car I would go ahead and spend a little extra and do the coil-overs.
I think me and you have talked about that car before when I was ordering my front setup off you. And that's what was making me thinking just a shock would do for me. As a simple setup is a plus for me
Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Had coilovers and switched over to this. Here is the setup I built.

See post #224

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-build-12.html

Easy to tune, quick spring rate changes and shock adjust.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been 1.25 with a stick on double adj afco shocks and eibach lowering spings in stock location on a 28x10.5s. and my buddy has been 1.18 with single adj qa1 stock location springs and 275 drag radial. both all mwc suspension. went to coil overs this year but been fighting other issues haven't got to make many good hits on a good track
Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ability to change spring rates with the wide variety of springs available vs what you can get for stock location would be one.

If you want to mini tub and get way into the frame rail, coil overs moved inwards where the stock fuel tank is, mounted behind the rear end housing will make for a lot more available real estate for fitment if you're willing to move the control arm in as well.

Moving shocks behind the rear, by the nature of them getting further away from the pivot point will increase the amount of movement the shock sees with a given amount of suspension travel. Is this advantageous, debatable but it's also something to consider.

In the end if I were going to upgrade from a single to double going to a coil over is an obvious choice.

Quick Reply: Rear coilover vs shock