Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the new wheels! But the backspacing, are you going to leave it like that?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 450 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
Love the new wheels! But the backspacing, are you going to leave it like that?
Unless I go to a narrower wheel thats all that will fit. The wheel is almost 13" wide being a double beadlock.
These wheels only come with a 5" backspace, no more than that.
Plus it tucks the wheel over two inches in the wheel well. Im not going that low because I still am street driving the car.

Wait until I set it on the ground and get radials on it. It looks pretty good.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Final phase is done. You know all the shitty fitting, removing, measuring, planning, guessing, and annoying parts. Time to go back together for the last time.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am falling pretty hard for her now haha. Damn it looks good.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks fantastic. Road trip? I'm sure you can't hardly wait to rip on that BMF.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Looks fantastic. Road trip? I'm sure you can't hardly wait to rip on that BMF.
Unfortunately I am going to try and save some money. Im sure there is a few things I need still but as far as parts to get it started. I really just need to mount the fuel pump and measure for the cable. Otherwise I think its about ready to go.
I ordered a new car trailer in december so still waiting on that.

Ive been on that every little last thing I need is $300. So ive been racking up a credit card to get it finished for spring. I probably have a good solid week or two of work to get it 100% finished. Basically all of the fuel system. Then just go over everything and get it scaled and measured out.

The dosent have any adjustment with the car this low. So Im going to rais it just a tad and weld up a set of lower control arm brackets to lower them a couple more inches.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gah this thing..... shebus.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitchin'Camaro
Gah this thing..... shebus.
its getting pretty serious over here for sure. lol
Old 02-28-2019, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
its getting pretty serious over here for sure. lol
That's no joke!!! Frickin insane. Every time I pop back into this thread it's another mountain of light *** weighed parts being installed. It's insane!!! I frickin love it. So awesome to see..
Not many builds let alone build threads are this in-depth. The fact you're still adding to it like you are just makes it that much better. Keep it up, Kenny!!
And I/we fully expect pics on this new trailer of yours too!
Did you decide to go back to an enclosed?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitchin'Camaro
That's no joke!!! Frickin insane. Every time I pop back into this thread it's another mountain of light *** weighed parts being installed. It's insane!!! I frickin love it. So awesome to see..
Not many builds let alone build threads are this in-depth. The fact you're still adding to it like you are just makes it that much better. Keep it up, Kenny!!
And I/we fully expect pics on this new trailer of yours too!
Did you decide to go back to an enclosed?
Its fun for me to track most of the things I do and put on the car. Ive always been weird. I take a lot of pictures for the memories. One thing I learned from my parents. My dad always had stories of all these old fast cars but only a couple polaroid pictures of them lol.

Plus if it inspires a couple people along the way then its cool for me. Ive spent most of my life dreaming to do this stuff.

Yes I did order another enclosed. Its all white and seamless. Aluminum frame 26 foot. Its 1,360 pounds less than my 24 foot. A little more V than my old one.
Im hoping it gets a little better mileage.

The denali 6.2 towed the old one just fine. It just got **** poor mileage. About 7.5-8. If for whatever reason it gets even 9-10. That would be great.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Time to step up to a Duramax. It took me a long time to give in. Always thought my gas job did just fine. That is until I finally broke down and bought one. Wow what a difference. You can't even tell its behind you. I have a 2013 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab sb I bought new. It gets 16 pulling our car in a 24ft enclosed and 22 highway by itself. 18-19 around town. With unbelievable power. I have a small 15,000lb finish dozer I put on a tag trailer and it pulls that 19,000lbs(with trailer) like a dream. Its amazingly quiet in the cab not at all like the competition. The leather seats in this thing are like sitting in your lazy boy. Incredibly comfortable. The new rear ends they have in them are insane big. They did away with the 14 bolt and now have an Eaton rear end. Mine is bone stock and one day at the track there was some guy running his mouth about his 2012 6.7 power stroke F250 4x4 crew cab saying he eats Duramaxes for lunch. Had enough, unhooked the trailer and told him to get up to the line I want to see this thing take out my Duramax. Lined them up. He had a full aftermarket exhaust, tuner, down pipe, pick up pump, and cold air intake. Had to put it in 4wd to keep from blowing off the tires. He was able to spool his up but I could not probably cuz it was stock. Let my foot off the brake, just had it in drive to let it shift itself, and never saw him the whole time. Took him out by eight truck lengths. Freakin thing cut a 1.98 sixty foot. My friend rode with me and when we were on the return road he starts laughing and says look you forgot to shut the A/C off. I guess I didn't need it. LOL Then we get back to the pits and hes crying saying I'm lying that I have a lot more stuff done to my truck than I'm admitting. Priceless and typical.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Time to step up to a Duramax. It took me a long time to give in. Always thought my gas job did just fine. That is until I finally broke down and bought one. Wow what a difference. You can't even tell its behind you. I have a 2013 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab sb I bought new. It gets 16 pulling our car in a 24ft enclosed and 22 highway by itself. 18-19 around town. With unbelievable power. I have a small 15,000lb finish dozer I put on a tag trailer and it pulls that 19,000lbs(with trailer) like a dream. Its amazingly quiet in the cab not at all like the competition. The leather seats in this thing are like sitting in your lazy boy. Incredibly comfortable. The new rear ends they have in them are insane big. They did away with the 14 bolt and now have an Eaton rear end. Mine is bone stock and one day at the track there was some guy running his mouth about his 2012 6.7 power stroke F250 4x4 crew cab saying he eats Duramaxes for lunch. Had enough, unhooked the trailer and told him to get up to the line I want to see this thing take out my Duramax. Lined them up. He had a full aftermarket exhaust, tuner, down pipe, pick up pump, and cold air intake. Had to put it in 4wd to keep from blowing off the tires. He was able to spool his up but I could not probably cuz it was stock. Let my foot off the brake, just had it in drive to let it shift itself, and never saw him the whole time. Took him out by eight truck lengths. Freakin thing cut a 1.98 sixty foot. My friend rode with me and when we were on the return road he starts laughing and says look you forgot to shut the A/C off. I guess I didn't need it. LOL Then we get back to the pits and hes crying saying I'm lying that I have a lot more stuff done to my truck than I'm admitting. Priceless and typical.
dang. Thats really good. How fast are you towing with it? I live several hours from the track so when we all roll out together we cruise 82-83mph there.
I have friends with All of my friends with diesels are getting 14-15 towing flat trailers that fast.
Ive used my step dads 6.7 ford and my buddies 17 high country when I towed my enclosed. Before I bought my truck. They seemed to both do 10-12 towing my trailer on the highway. So that couldnt justify the difference in $10,000 more with rebates, losing some features, and the average mileage difference.
I am extremely happy with the 6.2 8 speed combo. I only tow the trailer 16-20 times per summer tops. So the added fuel cost there isnt worth the difference elsewhere.
My truck gets 23.x at 82/83 with the cruise set. Itll get between 25-27 at 55-60mph. I average 16-18 city depending on how I drive it.
I really like that thing.

If I towed more or anything a little heavier Id definitely get a duramax Denali. But I really cant justify the price and service difference.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Brother I run 85 with 19000lbs of trailer and bulldozer hooked to it. LOL My wife has the Yukon Denalli with the 6.2 and am very impressed with the power. But it is still nothing like the diesel. 100 degree day going through the Tenn. mountains on cruise. Trans never down shifts or goes over 150 degrees pulling the car and trailer. The trans itself is unbelievable. Always in the right gear. I can honestly say you will never go back to a gas job for pulling anything again. Its that much of a difference. The big blocks don't even touch it either. Even better part is over 750 miles on a 36gal tank of fuel. I have a 100 gal tote in the back. You could drive to Florida and never have to stop for fuel. How I did it was did't get the SLT or the Denalli. I got the SLE. Then I had them add the Denalli wheels chrome grill. They charge you like 5000 for the Bose system. I got the stock system. You can upgrade to an Alpine with amps and sub later for half of that. On my year the SLT and the Denalli had dashes that stuck out farther and you loose a compartment up front on the consul. I hate those fake wood grain dashes too. So mine is all blacked out. Didn't like the painted door handles, mine are black. Hate those 2 way mirrors. Mine has the big singles and are black. I had them upgrade to leather heated seats too. I have the towing package and plow package too. Came with Dual batteries and dual 240 amp alternators. In the winter it fires right up with out plugging it in. It has one but never used it. I only use Lucas fuel treatment nothing else. No problems. I only paid 58,000 out the door and dam near got everything without the 75000.00 price tag. But if your patient and look around you can get a used one that's like brand new with 80 to 100.000 on it for 25 to 30. They say the 13 and 14 were the best years for them but I have no Idea because I'm not really into it like the car. I can tell you that I will never mess with it because it has all the power I will ever need stock. It smoked my sons 2010 GMC 1500 with a 5.3 that had a programmer on it and I was pulling a 3600lb empty tag trailer. LOL. He was pissed.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right on. Ive drove and used quite a few myself. outside of the power of them cruising and staying in lock up I still havent been in one that made me wow the mileage.
But Ive heard a lot of people say theirs does this or that. There are certainly a lot of variables. thats sweet that yours does that good on fuel. they certainly pull better and never kick down. I just dont think I could tow enough to need one.
Ive just never seen anyone get the mileage they claim. Its always inflated numbers. Ive borrowed quite a few trucks.
I drove my buddies 2007 6.6 duramax. It was stock with 90k miles on it. I towed my car to the track a couple times and it would get 14.2-14.5 pulling my flat trailer with car at 82/83. I dont know what his gear ratio or what was. but I wasnt impressed with the mileage. It towed great. Thats when I still had the avalanche so I was testing different things.
HE ended up deleting it and tuned it. Really woke it up but still didnt do overly impressive for mileage. 14.5 towing a flat trailer and 17/18 highway unloaded.

My step dad has 2017 6.7 ford and so far thats been the best towing and mileage truck Ive seen so far. He gets 21/22 highway and it got 14 towing my enclosed. Im not much of a ford guy because of the interior and seat feel. but the 6.7 impressed me with how it pulls.

My step dad took his to the strip one time and ran a 15.2@92.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-05-2019, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-05-2019, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last edited by BlackSS4thgen; 03-08-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Facebook Post
Old 03-08-2019, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quick Reply: 1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car