Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 450 Likes on 235 Posts

And I do dumb **** like this at all of the car shows and ****. For the fans.
The following users liked this post:
biketopia (07-05-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
The oil filter and oil has been getting changed every two weeks. sometimes with 50 miles. sometimes with 300 miles.
There are signs of main cap movement. Which is what feeds the rods.

I spun quite a bit at the last track outing and hit 8,770 a couple times on accident. Im going to measure all of the rod ends and bolts for stretch.

It just went 155 to the 1/8th. On a 5.2 pass while spinning at 1 second out. 32 psi of boost. I figured if I couldnt et Id atleast get some bigger boost data for the first time.

No biggy. **** happens. Its been doing good. Everything will be here by weds to replace and get balanced. Ill have it running next weekend. With a new converter and a few odds and ends.
I hear ya bro. And nice burnout above

About the main cap movement, I don't want to be a party pooper but it makes me wonder about the aluminum dart next ls block not being a skirted block with cross bolted mains. That a cast gm Lsx block wouldn't have did this and still be going strong. Not saying anything as a certainty, but i just wonder how proven is that dart block with as much HP as you have. Aluminum flexes, and when you don't have cross bolted mains it can be an issue. I know of a very quick turbo SBF (in the high 6's) he tried a dart aluminum block and had similar issues and went back to cast iron. Just food for thought if this happens again. Cast iron can get away with not having cross bolted mains because it's more rigid.

Typically I will keep my mouth shut about things like this to not start bs or offend anyone, but I want to see you car go 6's, you deserve it for the effort you put in. I'm really not liking seeing an aluminum block at over 2000hp with 4 bolt mains hanging in the breeze compared to a proper skirted cross bolted design block. You can hate me if you want for mentioning it but I'm honestly trying to help.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Launch
I hear ya bro. And nice burnout above

About the main cap movement, I don't want to be a party pooper but it makes me wonder about the aluminum dart next ls block not being a skirted block with cross bolted mains. That a cast gm Lsx block wouldn't have did this and still be going strong. Not saying anything as a certainty, but i just wonder how proven is that dart block with as much HP as you have. Aluminum flexes, and when you don't have cross bolted mains it can be an issue. I know of a very quick turbo SBF (in the high 6's) he tried a dart aluminum block and had similar issues and went back to cast iron. Just food for thought if this happens again. Cast iron can get away with not having cross bolted mains because it's more rigid.

Typically I will keep my mouth shut about things like this to not start bs or offend anyone, but I want to see you car go 6's, you deserve it for the effort you put in. I'm really not liking seeing an aluminum block at over 2000hp with 4 bolt mains hanging in the breeze compared to a proper skirted cross bolted design block. You can hate me if you want for mentioning it but I'm honestly trying to help.
You are absolutely right. The main caps are moving. Dart recommends this block to not be used past 1,500hp for a reason. The cast can only take so much.
I will start taking better care of it as far as heat and letting it recover before whipping on it.

I really like the lsnext design so I would definitely go back to an iron version if and when I have another issue.

I really wish I could afford a dry sump at the moment. Ive bought quite a bit for the car these past few weeks and now with this repair I couldnt swing it if I wanted to.

But yes, couldnt agree more. I would benefit going back to an iron block. It would probably aid in my wheelies. Just sucks to get it back 400 pounds more than fox bodies in my league
Old 07-03-2019, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

You are absolutely right. The main caps are moving. Dart recommends this block to not be used past 1,500hp for a reason. The cast can only take so much.
I will start taking better care of it as far as heat and letting it recover before whipping on it.

I really like the lsnext design so I would definitely go back to an iron version if and when I have another issue.

I really wish I could afford a dry sump at the moment. Ive bought quite a bit for the car these past few weeks and now with this repair I couldnt swing it if I wanted to.

But yes, couldnt agree more. I would benefit going back to an iron block. It would probably aid in my wheelies. Just sucks to get it back 400 pounds more than fox bodies in my league
Will a dry sump help though at all, I guess it wouldn't hurt but it could be an expense not needed if the mains are moving it won't get much better. I hope for your sake it lives again for a while. I hear you on the weight, if only our cars were fox body weight.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-04-2019, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good hell!!! I swear every time I go a few weeks between checking back in, you have done something crazy, fast, broke something, bought a grip load of parts, got it back together and back to the track for the same shenanigans lol
Meanwhile I still haven't finished my turd since like your tenth page
Keep it up Kenny.. seeing your determination is such a motivator. You deserve so much more publicity than you get!!

Love from Utah
Old 07-04-2019, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitchin'Camaro
Good hell!!! I swear every time I go a few weeks between checking back in, you have done something crazy, fast, broke something, bought a grip load of parts, got it back together and back to the track for the same shenanigans lol
Meanwhile I still haven't finished my turd since like your tenth page
Keep it up Kenny.. seeing your determination is such a motivator. You deserve so much more publicity than you get!!

Love from Utah
Im clearly not worried about my well being or retirement lol

Ill have it back together next week. Getting balanced right now.

Still kind of bummed. Everything was going good. Just like last year when I wrecked it. Seems like its the nature of the beast. Something has to hold me back.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's how the car game goes I suppose. At least yours runs between breaks! That small moment of joy is what keeps you doing it.
People who don't get the satisfaction between are the ones who either give up, or slow down between times spent spinning wrenches. Sad to say, over time you forget the joy in it and why we do what we do!!
Happy 4th, hopefully you're still enjoying America's birthday lol next week you'll forget this even happened and you'll be haulin *** somewhere and giving yourself reason to smile!
Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitchin'Camaro
It's how the car game goes I suppose. At least yours runs between breaks! That small moment of joy is what keeps you doing it.
People who don't get the satisfaction between are the ones who either give up, or slow down between times spent spinning wrenches. Sad to say, over time you forget the joy in it and why we do what we do!!
Happy 4th, hopefully you're still enjoying America's birthday lol next week you'll forget this even happened and you'll be haulin *** somewhere and giving yourself reason to smile!
You as well man! Thank you!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took awhile, but I finally finished reading this whole thread in some spare time. Man, what a story and build to follow. Super impressive to see you do it all on your own, stuff most people would say hell no to trying to do. So many times you could have given up and turned it out for the better. I have no doubt you'll hit every goal you set with the car after seeing what it's been through already.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itSSlowZ28
Took awhile, but I finally finished reading this whole thread in some spare time. Man, what a story and build to follow. Super impressive to see you do it all on your own, stuff most people would say hell no to trying to do. So many times you could have given up and turned it out for the better. I have no doubt you'll hit every goal you set with the car after seeing what it's been through already.
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I definitely put more time in to this than I should. Im getting to the point I might need to reach out to a chassis shop if I cant tame the wheelies. I dont want to admit defeat but it might save me some time.

They are all saying the same thing though ... add weight to the front.

The engine thing sucks but I guess I cant complain too much for how many 7 second passes, near and 200mph hits, and thousands of abusive street miles it has.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally broke down and bought a 55gpm pump. Whats another $600 at this point right?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Trying an overly tight converter since Im starting to see a bit of slip. They say the ringless input shaft powerglides seem to have less converter charge pressure. Hopefully it keeps my back half rpm down a bit without hurting the short track.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Finally broke down and bought a 55gpm pump. Whats another $600 at this point right?
Right ! Post some pics when it’s in.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I definitely put more time in to this than I should. Im getting to the point I might need to reach out to a chassis shop if I cant tame the wheelies. I dont want to admit defeat but it might save me some time.

They are all saying the same thing though ... add weight to the front.
The thing is with that, the more far forward you attach ballast, the less weight you need to add to the car to keep the front end down. I seen other turbo guys with still stock chassis up front they attached ballast weights to the very front where the bumper bar is and it kept the nose down (See vid below) is what that guy did over in Australia which eventually got him in the 6's I think don't quote me on that but seen a 7.1 @ 202mph. He could dial more power in with the ballast up front. You had to cut your rails out for the turbo gear but maybe you can fab some bars or something where you still have the factory chassis rails and attach some weights at the furthest most forward point you can.

He's also the guy was breaking dart aluminum blocks and now has world (cast iron) I think but id have to confirm if its cast or alum. I know it's a Ford but same basic **** applies when you're at these levels

Last edited by Launch; 07-14-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 75 pounds of options in 5 and 2.5 if needed. So now just need some cool weather. Ill have the engine back together this week.
It went from cold and rainy to hot as hell. so now the track has been way to greasy. I tune a few big tire cars that have been tough to get down. Ill make a break through soon. I promise!
I think I did all I could to keep it from wheeling where it was. so if 15-25-40-50 pounds works. Ill be ecstatic.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you for the videos. Definitely went as far forward and below the crankshaft as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 AM
11 Second Club

No worries man just trying to help but looks like you have it figured out. I was actually trying to find a different vid of that car to post where he actually mentions adding the weights near the front bumper after his chassis guy recommended it and how much they helped. But I couldn't find that specific vid but it does exist.

Also as some motivation after seeing a 3900lb sbf going low 7's, you gotta beat that car now. LOL
Old 07-15-2019, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Launch
No worries man just trying to help but looks like you have it figured out. I was actually trying to find a different vid of that car to post where he actually mentions adding the weights near the front bumper after his chassis guy recommended it and how much they helped. But I couldn't find that specific vid but it does exist.

Also as some motivation after seeing a 3900lb sbf going low 7's, you gotta beat that car now. LOL
LOL Those guys are wild. I just watched that video again. Makes me laugh. All over the place.

Ill give it a go man!

Quick Reply: 1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car