Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J-hook or t-hook?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

The only way to tie down a vehicle unsuspended, would be to tie off to the control arms in the front. Or those wheel straps. Which in an enclosed trailer there would be nowhere to tie them down. And if there was, your still hooked to the control arms. There is no way I would ever do that to our chrome moly control arms. Your putting a lot of tension on there with ratchet straps. Drove a truck hauling cars for many years. All the multi car hauling trailers I used Had J hooks, on chains, on a ratcheting wench set up. The clearance underneath is very minimal. If you didn't pull down the suspension. The cars would beat themselves to death under there. In our enclosed trailer. The tie downs are so far out in front and back, on a car anyway. That in no way, are you going to be pulling straight down anyway. By angling the straps, and having them long. The car moves very little, in a controlled manner. While, from it being in a long angle. It lets the car move up and down minimally, and does not allow the straps to come loose, or beat up on your suspension.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yes I'm asking about those. My problem is the ones I'm seeing im questioning whether my car strap will hook to them. The hooks dont have a very wide opening.
Yep I have I think 2" straps with the big hooks and they work on the j hooks.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Alright im gonna pick up a pair.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you guys post some pictures of the t hooks connected to your car while it is connected to the trailer. I am looking for a set of straps and I want to tie it down with the frame holes. Also, just to confirm, you are using T hooks and not J hooks? Thanks

Looking at this set but need to know if i need to get J or T hooks.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...ct-hook/Towing

Last edited by 1slowbusa; 03-06-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

All 3 kinds worked on my car, just tried them Friday.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Using t-hooks here on the back. I can get pics next Saturday if you need them.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, that would be great. What are you using for the front?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
Yes, that would be great. What are you using for the front?
Sorry forgot to get a pic this past weekend. The front I use I think it's the k member. I can barely reach it extending my arm out.

This way makes strapping the car down 100 time easier! I can try to get by the shop if you still want pics.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, if you can get pictures, that would be great. You would be the first to post pictures. I ordered the straps that I posted earlier. Waiting to receive them. Going touse the stock holes in the frame to strap her down.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, if you can get pictures, that would be great. You would be the first to post pictures. I ordered the straps that I posted earlier. Waiting to receive them. Going touse the stock holes in the frame to strap her down.
Not sure how this is going to look. Tried getting pics with my phone while it's on the trailer in storage and I'm wearing slacks lol.

Hope this helps. Front and back pics.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Never realized the holes in the k member were for that. My stocker is long gone and I been using the holes back towards the door.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Those pictures are perfect, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Never realized the holes in the k member were for that. My stocker is long gone and I been using the holes back towards the door.
Ha, not sure if that's what they are for but I use them. I think the previous owner told me that's how he strapped the front.

Those pictures are perfect, thanks for sharing.
You bet.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm using hooks in my enclosed trailer but I have to say, what a pain in the *** crawling under it in an enclosed. I'm thinking about using the tire straps. Also, is anyone using a tow hook on the front? I have a winch in my trailer to pull the car in because doing the Dukes of Hazzard out the window with a 12 point cage really sucks, there just isn't much room. But there isn't anywhere to put a hook on a fourth gen. What about towing to the pits for nitrous guys? How is everyone working this out?
Old 05-05-2016, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

When I use an enclosed I don't use j/t hooks. I use axle straps on the back and on the front I hook into the k member.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TXCatfish
When I use an enclosed I don't use j/t hooks. I use axle straps on the back and on the front I hook into the k member.
Ya before I got the hooks I did that too but the back especially was a pain. Climbing under there and trying not to get the strap wrapped up in the brake lines, what a mess. There has to be an easier way. Maybe welding some hooks to the axle housing for the rear. I haven't had to transport the car too much yet but once it's back together and I'm doing it more often I'll need to sort out an easier way.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Shart
Ya before I got the hooks I did that too but the back especially was a pain. Climbing under there and trying not to get the strap wrapped up in the brake lines, what a mess. There has to be an easier way. Maybe welding some hooks to the axle housing for the rear. I haven't had to transport the car too much yet but once it's back together and I'm doing it more often I'll need to sort out an easier way.
Why not throw the axle straps around the axle before you get it up in the trailer?
Old 05-06-2016, 05:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Why not throw the axle straps around the axle before you get it up in the trailer?
It really wouldn't be any easier. I did do that a few times with the hooks but sometimes they would fall out because they drag a little when the car goes over the dovetail. Maybe I'm just being a sissy.

Quick Reply: J-hook or t-hook?