Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro parachute mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016 | 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Default Camaro parachute mount?

Does anyone make a Camaro parachute mount that lets you retain the license plate with out cutting the plate.

I realize this is easy on Firebird/TA because the bumper but on a Camaro they all pass through the plate area.

If all else fails I guess just get a standard kit from a vendor and a flip up plate holder.
Old 02-16-2016 | 08:03 PM
Race your car!

Why not just notch the plate to go around it?
Old 02-16-2016 | 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Why not just notch the plate to go around it?
That will get me a ticket everything else cops largely ignore
Old 02-16-2016 | 08:13 PM
Race your car!

You're worried about getting a ticket for a notched plate and you're going to drive around with a chute on the car? I honestly don't think the plate is going to be their main point of focus at that point do you....

The height of where the chute is pulling from, has a lot to do with whether the chute tries to lift the back of the car up in the air when it comes out which can be VERY dangerous. You do not want that happening, general rule is you want the chute pull point on the chassis close to the crank centerline of the car. That being said that is why you see all the Camaro ones where they are, because if you tried to put it a bunch higher it would be pulling from too high a point and would be an unsafe deal.

I'd make an alum bracket that will lower the plate if that's what you have to do. Or put the bottom edge of the thing on a belt sander and just take some off the bottom of the plate, little off the top and then the notch may not have to be as bad... trying to come up with ideas to help here but having the place completely in the stock spot with no notch at all is likely not possible.
Old 02-17-2016 | 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Rock solid motor sports makes one exactly like that.

Old 02-17-2016 | 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Most everyone that makes a parachute mount for the Camaro is going to go through the license plate because of the design of the bumper.
Old 02-17-2016 | 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Most everyone that makes a parachute mount for the Camaro is going to go through the license plate because of the design of the bumper.
This is pretty much what I was looking to confirm. Got a cage from you guys a few weeks ago will probably be ordering the chute mount from you shortly.
Old 02-17-2016 | 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You're worried about getting a ticket for a notched plate and you're going to drive around with a chute on the car? I honestly don't think the plate is going to be their main point of focus at that point do you....
Feel free to explain that to the cops around here lol

It's a concern because I know people who have done it and got tickets for modifying license plate and not for any of the other race car stuff lol

I don't have any issues throwing in the mount at the track and using a flip down plate was just curious if anyone made one that sits a bit higher for the camaro.
Old 02-17-2016 | 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

It is acceptable here to cut your plate and run the chute all the time. Lots of ppl here do it. It will depend on what city you live in.
Old 02-17-2016 | 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by mshadow
This is pretty much what I was looking to confirm. Got a cage from you guys a few weeks ago will probably be ordering the chute mount from you shortly.
We appreciate it.

Keep in mind our parachute mount includes a built-in bumper support and is not made of multiple welded joints for a lightweight design and superior strength. Our mounts are also designed to keep the back of the car on the ground unlike some of the others that will lift the car and cause sever ill handling when the parachute deploys, usually resulting in a crash.
Old 02-18-2016 | 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Get a flip down plate bracket.
Old 02-19-2016 | 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
Rock solid motor sports makes one exactly like that.

I believe that chute is mounted too high. We got ours from Burkhart Chassis. It comes with the bumper support as well. Not sure about the others, but Burkhart's actually have the bumper cover support rods also. The cover is rock solid. By the looks of it. Ours is mounted about four inches lower than that. Which is even with the crank center, and what you want. That is, unless its just hanging there for decoration. It came with a Stroud chute. Stroud deploys easier and doesn't beat you and the car when it comes out. It is a patented design. Its all moly too. So its very light. Came with all mounting hardware and everything you need. Very nice set up. I believe it was 700 for the complete kit.
Old 02-22-2016 | 10:32 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TTur1996
I believe that chute is mounted too high. We got ours from Burkhart Chassis. It comes with the bumper support as well. Not sure about the others, but Burkhart's actually have the bumper cover support rods also. The cover is rock solid. By the looks of it. Ours is mounted about four inches lower than that. Which is even with the crank center, and what you want. That is, unless its just hanging there for decoration. It came with a Stroud chute. Stroud deploys easier and doesn't beat you and the car when it comes out. It is a patented design. Its all moly too. So its very light. Came with all mounting hardware and everything you need. Very nice set up. I believe it was 700 for the complete kit.
I have been 170mph with my TT Trans am with the chute mount in the exact location with no issues.

My chute mount is also from Rock Solid Motorsports.
Old 02-23-2016 | 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Our Camaro bumper support is lower than the one pictured and stays behind the bumper support so you can put your plate back on and you would never know it was there. It also has a bumper support built in and comes with all necessary mounting hardware. Can be purchased as a bumper support with a stand or we can sell it as a complete kit with Stroud chute, cable, & handle. Everything needed to go racing.

We make them for all fourth gen F-Body vehicles.

Quick Reply: Camaro parachute mount?