Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Steering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016 | 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Default Manual Steering Questions

Yes, I did use the search feature and I couldn't find the answers I'm looking for.

You guys that have manual steering in your 4th gen FBody's how is it on the street. Looking to save some weight on the car. Car is still some what a street car its not a full blown race car yet.

Pro's & Con's
Old 06-01-2016 | 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

The first time I took the stock rack and removed the lines and drained it. ran it with the holes open so air could escape and wouldn't build pressure. It didn't drive too horrible. definitely harder to turn but didn't bother me. low speeds in parking lots and backing into parking spaces is where you will be fighting the wheel. rolling 10mph or more you wont even know you don't have power steering. Few years later I bought a K member and manual steering kit. Car drives the same. Then I bought a Grant prostock removable steering wheel which is 2" smaller diameter and boy that was a bad Idea for driving on the street. your really fighting it trying to pull in and out of parking spaces. the larger stock steering wheel helped alot.
Old 06-01-2016 | 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

My manual steering rack drives fine on the street. The only difficult part is turning the wheel at a dead stop. But luckily.... I'm a man. lol
Old 06-01-2016 | 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Thanks for the replays.

It's something I'm going to have to think about.
Old 06-01-2016 | 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

I don't regret going with manual steering. It does drop a good amount of weight and gets rid of leaking rack and pump. Since I have a spool now it's not nearly as fun. Next time I swap gears I'm gonna swap out the spool with the strange s trac.
Old 06-01-2016 | 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Also if you keep the rack, do not just leave the line location open to the air so it moves easier. You need to make yourself a hose with fittings and run it from one to the other, leaving fluid in the rack. You will thank me later. No its not easier to turn, but it will save the rack from getting debris in it and also helps keep it lubricated.
Old 06-01-2016 | 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
I don't regret going with manual steering. It does drop a good amount of weight and gets rid of leaking rack and pump. Since I have a spool now it's not nearly as fun. Next time I swap gears I'm gonna swap out the spool with the strange s trac.
I've been thinking about going with a spool in a 9inch also
Old 06-01-2016 | 07:27 PM
On The Tree

The manual rack is a little lighter also. A big thing on the steering is the size front tires, with skinnies you'll be fine if not you are a woman or transgender.

Quick Reply: Manual Steering Questions