Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Dart SHP LS Next block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Dart SHP LS Next block?

Hi guys, what kind of power will the SHP version of the LS Next block hold? I'm going 6 bolt heads where lifting heads wont be as much of an issue and am getting a really good deal on the SHP version..so I want to make sure before buying it. Thanks!

Last edited by SN95+5.3; 07-05-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Hello SN95+5.3. While it is tough to assign a general a specific horsepower capability to this new block, it is quite strong. And, there are some variables which can affect the estimate. With that said, our tech adviser says that he would expect it to handle 1500+ horsepower in a reasonable situation.

How do you intend to use it?
Old 07-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Hi..Thanks for answering! I plan on making about 1500-1600WHP using a 150 shot and a PTE Pro Mod 88 on E-85..I asked this question on Turbobullet and got flamed for wanting the Dart block over the LSX block, when I think you guys in fact have a better block!

Last edited by SN95+5.3; 07-05-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I personally feel the dart ls next block is in fact a stronger platform than the lsx block, they are not seeing the core shift issues the lsx blocks do, windage and whatnot are substantially better than the lsx design as well allowing for more race orientated pan designs and the like.

If I were to build an lsx motor tomorrow the tall deck version of the dart ls next would be the way I would go, no question.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:37 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I personally feel the dart ls next block is in fact a stronger platform than the lsx block, they are not seeing the core shift issues the lsx blocks do, windage and whatnot are substantially better than the lsx design as well allowing for more race orientated pan designs and the like.

If I were to build an lsx motor tomorrow the tall deck version of the dart ls next would be the way I would go, no question.
What this guy said
Old 07-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I went to darts website to see what all they are offering now.

What exactly does "SHP" mean?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
I went to darts website to see what all they are offering now.

What exactly does "SHP" mean?
Special High Performance.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:03 AM
8 Second Truck Club

...and what exactly makes it "special high performance"?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The block is skirted like standard blocks are. But keeps the 4 bolt splayed type main caps. Also has all the bolt holes for the ac compressor etc, basically a drop in deal where the LS next wasn't.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Race your car!

So the SHP version is a drop in deal whereas the ls-next is not, is that the only difference?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:05 PM
8 Second Club

So the SHP version is a drop in deal whereas the ls-next is not, is that the only difference?
Unless I was not getting solid information the Dart rep I spoke to about it said the casting density or material(sorry cant 100% recall) was not as strong. Although he also said it was not intended for over 1000hp which does not align with the above statements.

Also I had a lot of questions on the center counter weighted crank offering but was also told it was not meant for high hp applications but could not get an answer why.

I ended up buying a 427 LSX due to my frustrations with their tech service honestly.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Race your car!

Sounds like the ls-next would have been the way to go and not the shp version.

If I had to build an ls style motor tomorrow, tall deck ls-next block, and a ccw crank would be the first 2 things on the list, allpro casting would be next on the list. But that's me.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM
8 Second Club

Sounds like the ls-next would have been the way to go and not the shp version.

If I had to build an ls style motor tomorrow, tall deck ls-next block, and a ccw crank would be the first 2 things on the list, allpro casting would be next on the list. But that's me.
Sign me up for the wish I just went BBC crew honestly after this whole ordeal.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Race your car!

Lol you mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails Help! Dart SHP LS Next block?-image.jpeg  
Old 07-13-2016, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SN95+5.3
Hi..Thanks for answering! I plan on making about 1500-1600WHP using a 150 shot and a PTE Pro Mod 88 on E-85..I asked this question on Turbobullet and got flamed for wanting the Dart block over the LSX block, when I think you guys in fact have a better block!
1500 horsepower is about our recommended limit for the SHP block. It may take far more than that and I am sure people will push it past that, but that is our official recommendation right now.

If going beyond 1500 horsepower, we recommend our LS NEXT block. We believe it is the strongest LS block made.

We take great care and have great pride in our casting quality. We have also engineered in areas of extra strength in our blocks design. Combine that with the oiling improvements and we feel it is the best platform out there.

Originally Posted by Blown06
...and what exactly makes it "special high performance"?
The SHP platform means that it is a direct high performance replacement for factory blocks.

It has all of the provisions necessary to allow racers and enthusiasts to step up to a stronger, better block with no other retrofit provisions needed.

The LS NEXT block can be used as a direct replacement in most applications with the use of the oil pan spacer/adapter. This spacer now even has the provisions for the A/C compressor mount and the extra power steering bolt hole.

Cases like the CTSV where they have a low mount alternator may prefer the SHP block as the oil port is directly behind the alternator on those low mount alternator applications.

Originally Posted by ablakez28
Unless I was not getting solid information the Dart rep I spoke to about it said the casting density or material(sorry cant 100% recall) was not as strong. Although he also said it was not intended for over 1000hp which does not align with the above statements.

Also I had a lot of questions on the center counter weighted crank offering but was also told it was not meant for high hp applications but could not get an answer why.

I ended up buying a 427 LSX due to my frustrations with their tech service honestly.
The SHP block is cast with 30 grade iron whereas the LS NEXT blocks are cast with high nickel alloy. Because of this, the LS NEXT blocks are stronger. If you want the ultimate in strength, we believe the LS NEXT is the strongest, best engineered block you can buy.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not get the information you needed from us to make your decision. Please let me know next time you need technical information. I want to assure you have all the information you need to make the best choice for you.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Race your car!

Thanks Dart for clearing things up. Ls-next is IMO the absolute best option out there for a cast block, your billet being the only superior option.

I understand a lakes thoughts on just going BBC though, as I did that myself, options are just too plentiful, and I did the same myself, but I committed to this before the ls next amd out.

Don't worry though there's a big M between my frame rails, and when I eventually upgrade that Pascal Lecompte will be sourcing the alum 10.4 block and 11 degree big chief castings from you in sure ;-)
Old 07-13-2016, 03:31 PM
8 Second Club

Lol you mean like this?
Ha exactly like that! I might retire this 427/TT Nova to street duty after this season and get into another chassis with BB/TT. We will see my motivation levels come winter.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Teching In

I have an lsx454 now, it's an early block. I'd love to reuse the rotating assembly (callies setup)

Anyways I'm looking for 1k rwhp with a procharger and it's gonna get driven most days in Florida and will certainly spend a lot of time in traffic

This realistic to expect the block to handle this? Car is used for roll racing
Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPA_E
I have an lsx454 now, it's an early block. I'd love to reuse the rotating assembly (callies setup)

Anyways I'm looking for 1k rwhp with a procharger and it's gonna get driven most days in Florida and will certainly spend a lot of time in traffic

This realistic to expect the block to handle this? Car is used for roll racing
The LS NEXT blocks can handle that easily.

Quick Reply: Help! Dart SHP LS Next block?