Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting a Steering Wheel Airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to post this.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm confused and not being insulting. you saved two pounds and a lack of safety but still have the factory wheel.????????????????????????????????????
Old 10-04-2017, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I'm confused and not being insulting. you saved two pounds and a lack of safety but still have the factory wheel.????????????????????????????????????
None taken - The main reason I did it wasn't to save the weight, but because I don't like the idea of having an airbag (basically just an explosive) that's no longer being controlled by the module. I wasn't just going to unhook the airbag or cut the wires and leave it in there because I'm paranoid it could go off in some freak accident with a spark or static electricity.

Since this still really doesn't answer the question - I did it because I will have racing seats and harnesses paired with a roll bar for safety measures at the track. The airbag would be useless and could potentially do harm in some instances. If I wasn't using a roll bar, I'd just use the factory seat belts and retain the airbags on both sides. No sense in compromising safety.

But the weight savings factor is a nice bonus.

Quick Reply: Gutting a Steering Wheel Airbag?