Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Run at Track, Help Analyse

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004 | 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Question First Run at Track, Help Analyse

Took my first trip to the strip EVER. First car I have owned with a manual tranny. Help me analyse my results!!! I know they aren't very good, but it was my first time and I did get better as I improved 0.22 seconds from first run to last run.

Track elevation: 2,710 ft.

Best ET:
Reaction: 1.193
60': 2.298
14.523 @ 97.800
14.087 @ 100.734 corrected

Best Trap: (totally bogged off the line)
Reaction: 0.814
60': 2.625
15.068 @ 98.438
14.616 @ 101.391 corrected

Why was my speed higher when my time was the slowest?

I was getting some hefty wheel hop and spinning real good off the line. This track is notorious for poor launches on non-event nights. Plus they have two dirt bike tracks adjacent to the strip that kick up alot of dirt that ends up on the track. Car was filthy after running.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-01-2004 | 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Your first mistake was running your car at LACR. Do yourself and your car a favor and never run there again. When my car was bone stock the best I could ever pull at LACR was a 13.9x. Three days later at California speedway I ran 13.4's pretty consistant. Not only is the track altitude a killer, the weather sucks normally, and all the dirt and sand will clog up a K&N filter in minutes. The DA was probably closer to 4000'.

Your car may have run faster the second time around due to better weather conditions. The DA might have dropped giving you a little more horsepower. Don't be dissapointed with your times at LACR, most people run 5 tenths to a second better anywhere else. Your reaction times could use some work, but that just comes with practice.

If you want to have a good time, and see what your car can really run, go out to Irwindale on Thursdays. It looks like you live in La Canada. Irwindale is half the distance of Palmdale, and 10X better.
Old 07-01-2004 | 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Irwindale is only an 1/8 right? How are the crowds on Thursday nights? By 9:30 out at LACR me and Rottluver were the only domestics left!!!

Does California Speedway every have weekday racing or just Sat/Sun?
Old 07-01-2004 | 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Irwindale is really cool. Yes it is 1/8 mile. The most kick *** track prep of any track I've run at, and they move the lanes quick. Very organized there. On an average TNT night the exhibition lane is full. Lots of fast cars and a ton of spectators.

On the most crowded nights I'll get no less than 6 runs in and that is stopping for about an hour to watch and eat. On a slower night i've seen as many as a dozen runs.

You don't get the regular "Fast and Furious" crowd that you see at California speedway. 90% of the cars are Domestic cars at Irwindale. If you ant to run 1/4 mile California Speedway is the Ideal choice, but they only have open racing every 3-4 weeks. An 8 hour day/night at California Speedway you only get 4 runs.

I used to have the "...it's ONLY 1/8 mile..." attitude but after running at Irwindale it changed my point of view. You will deffinately have a lot of fun. I'm actually headed out there tonight, so if you want to come out look for me. I've got a black SS with Convo Pros and a Performance Associates windshield banner.
Old 07-01-2004 | 11:46 AM
Motorboater

sounds like you should try a better track, that sixty foot is horrendous(sp?)

mph is part car, part weather/track conditions, and alot driving in a stock M6 car IMO, you may just need to get comfy with the car, play with shift points, etc.
Old 07-01-2004 | 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Cool, thanks for the help guys! I am sure practice will help alot!

I probably won't go out again tonight bad2000ss but I would definately like to try Irwindale! Much closer.

Here is a cool pic my friend took last night:
Old 07-01-2004 | 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats!

First - You want good ET's in SoCal??? Tires, Tires, Tires. You won't ever break 2.1 without them, even if you are John Force. Our only decent track for 60's is Irwin, but it's only 1/8th.

Second, rev the beech. Move the limiter out of your way, and shift at 6300-6500 on a stock motor depending on your dyno graph.

Third - Seat time. Nothing makes a M6 car go quicker than seat time.

<-- 12.17 @ 112 on a 1.68 60' at LACR - "But it wasn't my first day there!"
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, thanks McRat. I won't get gettin' sticky tires on this rear end especially since it is my daily driver! After I get a company vehicle to drive every day I am going to rebuild my LS1, etc.

I was reving to about 5950 on the stock tach and not powershifting. My dyno graph peaks right around there so I am not going to over rev if it isn't necessary.

And yes I know I need practice! I am just going out for fun now and having a good time. Eventually I'll get a little more serious about it, but just havin' a good time for now!
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by skytower31
I was reving to about 5950 on the stock tach and not powershifting. My dyno graph peaks right around there so I am not going to over rev if it isn't necessary.
That stock tach can be very decieving. At WOT the stock tach in my car is about 300-400rpm slow. If you start to get serious, you may want to invest in a shift light so you don't start pegging the rev limiter.
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, thanks McRat. I won't get gettin' sticky tires on this rear end especially since it is my daily driver! After I get a company vehicle to drive every day I am going to rebuild my LS1, etc.

And yes I know I need practice! I am just going out for fun now and having a good time. Eventually I'll get a little more serious about it, but just havin' a good time for now!
If your power peak is 5950, you NEED to shift higher. You normally shift about 500 rpm after peak for best ET with the LS1's. Give you an idea, my power peak is at 6100, but I shift at 6900-7000 for best ET's.

Nitto's aren't going to break parts on SoCal tracks, plus they make VERY good street tires. Granted, they aren't the quickest tires, but they will drop your ET about 0.3 seconds or more.

Oh, and if you have the stock shifter.... TRASH IT. Most vague feeling POS I've ever seen.
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

OPSS!!! The factory Hurst is fine.
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I have the factory hurst with Lou's Short Stick. I like it and have never missed a shift. Slammed against the division between 1 and 3 on a 2-3 shift...but that was as close as I have gotten to missing.

Next time out I'll try shifting closer to the limiter which is 6200 I think? I can see how that will help especially with my slow *** shifting!
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I have the factory hurst with Lou's Short Stick. I like it and have never missed a shift. Slammed against the division between 1 and 3 on a 2-3 shift...but that was as close as I have gotten to missing.

Next time out I'll try shifting closer to the limiter which is 6200 I think? I can see how that will help especially with my slow *** shifting!
Shift at 5900 on the tach. In reality it is probably right about 6200.