Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight is saved with a manual rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:21 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much weight is saved with a manual rack?

Referring to the Madman manual rack. Also, does anyone else offer a manual rack, or is Madman the only one? Is this a direct bolt-in rack? I have a BMR k-member and lower/upper a-arms. Do I have to change or modify anything whatsover to install and use this product? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll have to modify the k-member to accept the different bolts i believe... BMR sells two different k-members. One for stock rack and one for the manual rack. The bolts locations are different i believe.....

I think pa racing might also sell a manual rack if I remember correctly....
Old 07-24-2004, 02:58 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Referring to the Madman manual rack. Also, does anyone else offer a manual rack, or is Madman the only one? Is this a direct bolt-in rack? I have a BMR k-member and lower/upper a-arms. Do I have to change or modify anything whatsover to install and use this product? Thanks.
Look at the PA they have them at thunder i have one it come with all the stuff to do it it will cost you around 800 but it is worth it you can take the oilpan off easy and makes a crap load more room. with the kit you get all the hardware and it is lite as heck i can get you some pics if you want my engine is out so i can take some pics if you like. also the one i have is chrome moly. The only thing i had to buy is 4 bolts (i think) is where the k member bolts to the car had to get shorter ones hope this helps . if you have skinnes i have seen alot of guys just take the ps pump res. off and pipe the inlet to the outlet and run the stock rack. have to figure a way to do you belt we all drop the alt. and have no a/c i sale the alt brackets and harware.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well according to the description, it will work with an aftermarket or factory k-member. I have the BMR tubular k-member. I just want to clarify if the Madman rack will bolt right in as it says it will. Also if anyone else makes a manual rack besides Madman. Lastly, the weight savings. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:10 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

my .02, keep the power steering! for ten or so pounds! i had to due to valve covers on lt1, due to jesels. i miss my power steering! especially with 275's on the front! doh!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:00 AM
9 Second Club NA

Weight was not the only reason for me considering doing this mod, I dont wanna screw up my stock rack. I havent gotten around to driving the car right now with the stock rack and no pump, but if I dont like it, then I might do the manual rack thing. I just wanted to know what the weight savings were and if its a direct bolt in with a BMR k-member.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I have a PA k member... The stock rack fits fine and the Madman fits fine too. I have not weighed both but the difference in weight is probably like 5-7 lbs. I had to permanently remove my p/s for my blower setup. I have been running a stock looped rack and I don't daily drive the car and I do not like it.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club NA

Those running the Madman rack, have you ever had problems with it? How close is the feel to a stock rack with power steering? Can it be driven on the street?

Those that have looped their stock rack, do you have a problem with it leaking? I do because I dont have the tubing that was originally in there, so I just welded some new tubing (just some straight pieces) and looped it with some rubber hose.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

I have a Flaming River Manual Rack on my BMR K-member, works great and drives VERY well not as easy as the power rack but it is negligable to me....to someone 50 it might be annoying.

I love it, i can work in my engine bay. No A/C No PS, No egr/emissions crap Tubular K-member and a-arms

Andy
Old 07-27-2004, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I should clarify... I have been driving around with a stock looped rack and I do not like it. I have not been able to run the Madman rack since my blower setup is custom, and the rack and the blower make contact. Hopefully by the end of next week I can reinstall the Madman rack which I hear has a much better ratio and it's much easier to turn.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

yeah the madman rack is cake to turn... still a small pain from a dead stop with stock size tires. Skinnies make it easy from a stop.

MUCH better than a stock rack with no PS.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Madmans rack it awesome. Its easy to turn and the ratio is much closer. I would give him a call about daily driving but all of the hardware he supplies including a support plate that welds on is all quality stuff. www.madmanandcoracing.com
Old 07-27-2004, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1 ANDY
I have a Flaming River Manual Rack on my BMR K-member, works great and drives VERY well not as easy as the power rack but it is negligable to me....to someone 50 it might be annoying.

I love it, i can work in my engine bay. No A/C No PS, No egr/emissions crap Tubular K-member and a-arms

Andy
Can you provide details about using the Flaming River Rack? Is this something you put together yourself? I know Flaming River sells a kit for Mustangs, but wasn't aware of one for F-Bodies. What did you have to do to make it work? Was it completely custom or could it be duplicated very easily?

Dave
Old 07-27-2004, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

VERY EASY to do, and less expensive than the (very nice) MADMAN piece. Can even be less what it cost me depending on what manufacturers you used.

Competition Engineering Billet Rack Mounts(VERY NICE)
Flaming River 71-73 (i believe) Pinto Rack (expensive)
1 26spline to 3/4 DD Flaming River conversion U-joint (expensive)
1 3/4-3/4 Flaming River U-joint (expensive)
30" of 3/4 inch DD shaft
Conversion Tie rod ends and sleives from F.J. Smith (stock eliminator company/racer) to make everything work together, they also have a bump steer kit also.

You can do it cheaper than i did the Flaming River Rack and Steering joints are very expensive compared to others. You could probably do it for 100 bucks cheaper than me, but with steering stuff i dont try to go cheap.

Andy
Old 07-27-2004, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club

I am pretty sure if you do the complete swap it is 15lb off the front. The rack is lighter, no more hoses, no more pump or hardware. I have one at the shop but have not weighed it. This is just hear say from my buddy that put his on and weighed everything.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

I really dont want to bother with building my own, but how much money would I be saving if I was to build it myself? Is there anyone else besides Madman that sells a manual rack that bolts right in? Lastly, those who have one, guesstimate how close it feels to a stock rack with power steering. Thanks.

Quick Reply: How much weight is saved with a manual rack?