Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent, cheap rear shock for strip use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Decent, cheap rear shock for strip use?

I'm definitely in need of some shocks and I'm going to start w/ the rear (I know the front is more important). I'm saving for some good front shocks but in the mean time, I want some cheap replacement shocks for the rear that will work at the strip. I've done a few searches and found alot of conflicting info so I'm asking myself.

Last time at the track I tried jacking up the left rear wheel using the rear SFC point, but after the body being almost 2' in the air (yes, 2 feet) the wheel was still on the ground I'm not sure if this is a shock issue, but these are the original shocks on my '98 so I know it wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange has a good adjustable rear that is reasonable - sorry, don't have the part number though. I don't have them yet, but know several who do.

Another thing you might consider is a good rear swaybar. I have a Spohn 1" with the street type mounting and it helped even my launches out a lot. Suspension Techniques also has a similar bar. They are more reasonable than an all out drag bar. I put large heavy washers on all sides of the poly end link bushings to prevent the poly from being squashed and pulled through the bar - works like a champ!

I am cutting 1.56 - 1.58 60' times on stock front springs/shocks with front sway bar removed and stock rear springs/shocks, Spohn torque arm, Spohn swaybar, and cheap Lakewood lower control arms. Good 60' times are obtainable without spending a fortune, just need to get the right combination and tweak it in.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard good things about the Strange shocks, but never used them personally. I had QA1's on my old ride...

Billingsly sells the Strange shocks... http://www.billingsleyracing.biz/Cha...pension_GM.htm