Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weld Alumastar difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a brand new set of the the Weld Aluma Star 2.0 One peice frt rims(Same as the picture above from Lamb) for sale. I never ran them only used for chassis setup.

I had Strange Eng. frt brake and hub setup on my Camaro and my rims fit perfect without having to grind anything.

Lilke I said I have a new set for sale if interested $600.00 and I will handle shipping.

If interested give me shout,
Jim
Old 11-28-2004, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Jim, are they 5 on 4-3/4 lugs with 2-1/4 backspacing? If so, I'll take them.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you have to run drag brakes in order to use the Weld one piece Alumastar up front? I was planning on going with these up front with a spacer, and maybe a lil grinding, but dont want to get drag brakes!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

From the sounds of things the one piece Weld fronts will fit with a wee bit of grinding. I have been wondering this for a while.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:23 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a set back at the garage. I'll try them out on a stock front end and see if a spacer will help.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DERTY
I have a set back at the garage. I'll try them out on a stock front end and see if a spacer will help.
Cool! Let me know DERTY! I really want these wheels cause not only do they look BAD ***, but I am near the home of Weld Racing and I know some people who work there, and they can get me a good deal!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by a98ws6
So you have to run drag brakes in order to use the Weld one piece Alumastar up front? I was planning on going with these up front with a spacer, and maybe a lil grinding, but dont want to get drag brakes!
Read my last post..I already had my calipers ground for the old style alumastar, and the new one piece wheels fit without any spacer at all with the stock brake setup..I dont think you will have to take hardly any off of the calipers..

Phil
Old 11-28-2004, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am receiving quite a bit of questions regarding our rims for comparison. It can only be vague as direct comparisons have not been established between manufactures regarding FEI/lab tests. Companies to not liberally share testing results to others.

I will try to sum up some of the differences. to my best knowlege:

The differences in overall weight is small...WE have the lightest rim on the market.
Another consideration, how the weight is distributed (wheels center of mass), does also come into play...

Choose the rim that you like best, if you you don't care what either rim looks like and want the lightest then OURS is the choice...if you like one style over another, then choose the style you prefer...you can't go wrong as both are VERY good rims.

Some big considerations between our runner and theirs is:
1) OUR selling price is typically ~100.00 less PER rim!
2) Don't consider running EITHER rim on the street!
3) If you bend a weld alumastar 2 runner, you will have one large expensive paperweight. I don't believe they will repair their 1 piece rims...
4) If you bend our shells, we can repair them to like new condition!

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 11-28-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:57 PM
8 Second Club

Steve,
Are the bogart wheels SFI spec?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

They have gone through extensive analysis and pass specs...rims wouldn't be sold if they were hazardous. Bogart does not pay for the SFI sticker. This does NOT mean they are not stong, from testing they have passed stress analysis and durability with flying colors...

If it is important for the class that you run this sticker, then choose their rim. If you need this sticker for your class, more then likely, you will also need other SFI approved components i.e. chassis, cage etc. This sticker does not mean the weld rim is stronger then ours. As previously stated, both rims are VERY good high quality, I never stated the weld rim is inferior. Both rims are excellent choices. I am stating that ours is lighter, and ours is less expensive.

I did receive one comment stating that their alumastar 2 guaranteed to be the lightest, strongest and truest 1 piece rim on the market...they may be able to state this as to my knowlege, offhand, there is no other company producing high-end 1 piece 15 inch runners. Due to this, of course they can state this with certainty.

We are picking hairs, BOTH are nice rims. I certainly do not want to cause any arguements. Regarding appearance, rims can make or break a cars look...if this is a major concern, choose the rim you like best. Once again, if you want the lightest then our rim is the choice.

Regarding strengh issues...BOTH rims will deform under similar tests. Which will fatique first, I would not even begin to choose which will permanantly deform...we would be picking hairs once again.

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 11-28-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Weld one piece are like 6.5 lbs each I think. I'm still shopping around right now. Pro Stars have served me well but I'd like to drop 50 lbs from wheels and front tires.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve... why not just make a Bogart that looks like the alumastars for me Those damned aluma 2.0s are the BEST looking wheel on earth, in my opinion. makes me drool
Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bogarts..
Lighter.
Cheaper.
Can be repaired.

Sounds like a no brainer. I went with bogarts for race wheels.

- Keith
Old 11-29-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Weld Magnum Drag two piece wheels and I had to grind both front and rear calipers to make them fit without spacers. I know they aren't the Alumastars but they should fit about the same.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I have the Weld Magnum Drag two piece wheels and I had to grind both front and rear calipers to make them fit without spacers. I know they aren't the Alumastars but they should fit about the same.
Got any pics?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

search the wheel/tire section for "magnum" and you'll find some pics of his setup. it's what prompted me to look into some wheels cause i think the black inner anodized/powdercoated area would look great with my black car.

Chris
Old 11-29-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

a98ws6-Here are two pics. Sorry I can't find the close ups of the rims. These are the polished and gold centered two piece rims. I had the centers powdercoated black for a different look. I wanted Bogarts but they were a little pricey for me. I bought the rear used for $450 from a board member and bought the fronts new for about $460 from Jegs. I ended up saving some $$$ and plan on buying a set of drag brakes anyway so I didn't mind grinding the stock calipers in the meantime.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

How much were the front's each? How much do they weigh?

Neat paint scheme by the way, I would like to change your username to TwoTone if you are interested.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL! You are a funny guy John I'm not really sure what there weight is I can take one off the car and weight it but it would be the rim and tire I would be weighting. I'll try to find the invoice to see if maybe the weight is on there. They were no more than $230.00 each from what I remember.

By the way I'll pass on the new username.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

my opinion on the alumastar one one piece fronts....if it matters.

i have seen these wheels on many cars and i can say that ive only seen a couple that i think look good with em. ive seen them on fbodys and dont think they look good...but thats my opinion. the wheel itself is an awesome piece...looks great when you pull it out the the box. Its a little heavier than i thought it'd be...comparing to the bogart aluma-lites that my friend has.

I think it takes a certain color scheme, shape of the car, and stance to make them look good. i just cant put my finger on it...but i see them all the time...and most of the cars i see them on i dont like them. Most black cars i see them on they look good....maybe cuz my car is black

When i first installed them on my 91 black notch...i didnt like the way they looked. Then i polished the aerospace brakes and hubs, and painted the rotors...then they looked hot. so if you get them, be prepared to keep your brakes looking perfect to make it look best....and keep the rims clean and tires shinning...otherwise they looks like ***.

like i said...just my opinions...i would never put them on a car that wasnt a show or a track only car with nice looking brakes.

Quick Reply: Weld Alumastar difference?