Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any drag cars run the Baer bump steer kit? (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default any drag cars run the Baer bump steer kit? (pic)

hey guys..........

just like it says. anyone run these or anything like it? results? recommended?

here's a pic for reference. click it to slightly enlarge.

thanks,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails any drag cars run the Baer bump steer kit? (pic)-baer-bump-steer-adj.-tie-rods.jpg  
Old 12-05-2004, 09:24 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can't use those on a manual rack as is. The rods that thread onto the steering rack are made more for the power rack. However, I am running the tapered ends on my setup. It uses a 5/8" rod end. The taper is a perfect fit and doesn't wobble. It's a little pricier then running a 9/16" bolt. But, I'm giving it a shot anyway.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club

but.......is it worth getting? and i am going back to power steering anyway.

thanks,
Dave
Old 12-05-2004, 10:24 PM
The Bull

Technically, a bolt would do just as much if you can keep it a tight fit. Otherwise, the fit with this will be much nicer. I can't really tell you if it's worth it beyond that. It's a nice setup to work with though.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:32 PM
9 Second Club

forgive me Derty.......but i'm trying to find out if it's worth spending $154 +s&h for it? i'm not familiar with these, but i would consider getting it if it's better for my car.

thanks again,
Dave

ps- what do you mean by using a bolt, and keeping it tight? if that were the case, wouldn't everyone who needs to get rid of their bump steer problem use one?
Old 12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
The Bull

All of the manual rack kits use a 9/16" bolt. You drill out the taper in the knuckle and just bolt it in. A sloppy hole will lead to some sloppy alignment. The taper is used to help take the slop out and make everything nice and tight. Then the ends of the manual rack kit uses adjustable heim joints like a LCA. You adjust it all the same, it just costs less to make them this way because Baer doesn't offer this for the manual rack setup. Therefore, you'd pay about $100 for just the tapered bolts. However, if you do not have anything and are going back to power steering, $154 is not too bad. By the time you get tube ends, heim joints and some tubing you'll be right at that.

In total, it is a cheaper way to do this for a power steering rack with the exception of going back to stock. I'd say your decision needs to be more financial then functional. There are a lot of cheaper means to make this functional. Even the stock units will let you adjust the bump steer.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:38 AM
9 Second Club

ok, then it doesn't sound like something i need then. i appreciate your time Derty, as well as your patience.

thanks,
Dave
Old 12-06-2004, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,212 Likes on 775 Posts

I've got one of those kits sitting around which I would sell a lot cheaper than that Dave.