Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two front bolts on these damn door bars driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having the same problem, I messed with just the drivers side door for 5 freakin hours yesterday and alll I accomplished was hacking the back side of the bar away from the bracket , got the back bracket out and now the bar is just hangin there connected to the front. Cant figure out for the life of me how to get behind the bar and door skin. Once this is done I dont for see me doin the passengers side. This is unbelievable..lol.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:42 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done both camaros and firebirds, firebirds take 10 minutes, camaros take 10 hours it seems

Only way I was able to get the front bolts on a camaro was to grind a 10mm socket to almose nothing, then use a short 10mm wrench like 1/16 of a turn at a time. Here is my tools of choice for door bar removal.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stroked--that's what i've been saying, what a stupid project i got myself into lol. damn camaros.

i haven't had a chance to touch the car but i did get a few stubby wrenches and stuck one in there quick and it def fits way better than a standard wrench. looks like from Kp's pic i still need to get my hands on a 1/4" breaker(home depot i stopped at for the wrenches didn't have one)..can see it looks much thinner than a ratchet.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did my driver's door tonite. I was able to get the very front bolt with a 10mm ratchet wrench no problem. The other front bolt I had to cut a 10mm ratchet down...then I ground 2 flat spots on it. I would reach up in and put the socket on. then put a 1/2 wrench on the socket and get about 3/8 of a turn. To finish up I put the ratchet wrench on facing the front of the car and was able to get about 2 or 3 clicks per turn but it came out. On the passenger side I'm going to see if I can start with the ratchet wrench. I took off another 1 or 2 lbs if you could all the skin and blood I lost on this project. My wrists are all beat up.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a very slim 1/4" ratchet that swivels. I got it from the MAC truck for $65.00. It works well without cutting a socket.

Daren