Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension questions. Torque arm & rear swaybar related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:02 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suspension questions. Torque arm & rear swaybar related.

I currently have the chromoly Spohn torque arm and chromoly 25mm (1") rear swaybar. As far as I know, I have every piece of suspension out there. Well my question is, is the torque arm that I'm running the best for drag use or should I consider another one? This is a drag only car and would like the best piece out there strictly for racing. Its a pretty heavy piece, even though its chromoly. Not sure if it was hurting me or not. I'd also like to run a X true dual setup with the exhuast, as I currently have H setup. Secondly, how much could my rear swaybar be hurting me? I would like to upgrade to the Wolfe anti-sway bar, but I dont want to spend the money until I need to. There has to be a way to determine when it is needed. Here's a list of my suspension components:

BMR-

Upper & lower a-arms
K-member
Relocation brackets

Spohn-

Chromoly adjustable lower control arms (poly/heim)
Chromoly adjustable panhard rod (poly/heim)
Chromoly adjustable torque arm (poly)
Chromoly tubular sub-frame connectors
Chromoly 25mm (1") rear swaybar
Aftermarket rear end sway bar kit

Hal R series front shocks
Hal rear shocks
Hal 275 lb. front springs
Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

as long as your car launches straight you don't need a better sway bar.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:28 PM
9 Second Club NA

I also have an airbag in the rear passenger spring set at 15 lbs. The car doesnt leave perfectly straight, but for the most part yes. I have been told that its a little crooked. When I launch, it does feel like the front left (driver's side) comes up higher.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You could try preloading the sway bar. I'm running the same rear bar and tq arm you are... I seem to like it. I can't say if the other setup would work better, but I know that by preloading the rear swaybar it made my car take off dead strait. I just need the shocks to get the fron tot stop falling back down and unloading the rear/boging the motor and I'll be all set.

Try setting the preload on the bar so that the right rear quarter is sitting about 1/2 inch higher then the left rear.. Eastside set my car up on scales, I don't know what weight was where, but I know that with noone in the car, that's about where the car sits. I'm not running an airbag either.

Again.. I'm no expert.. but it's something to try.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

How do I set preload on a factory replacement swaybar? There's no adjustment. Thunder is having a sale this weekend and the Wolfe anit-roll bar is on sale. I might have to jump on it.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jump on that Wolfe sway-bar. Pre-load can only be added to a sway-bar that uses heim joints. The amount of pre-load will be determined by overall vehicle weight, power, converter, and the like.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The spohn 1 inch solid chromoly is preloared on my car. The end link on one side needs to be made longer/other needs to be made shorter... actually pretty easy to do. Works the same way as a wolfe, or any other swaybar... just adjust the end link lenth of the swaybar, making one longer/shorter then the other is gonna do the same thing, make one rear tire sit lower/higher up in the suspension travel with teh car off the ground... same effect regardless what bar you use.

But, the wolfe bar is a proven performer... if a swap is what you think you need... go for it. I just figured I'd toss out there an option for you to try before spending $$
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
I ruin the end of films...

How's the car setup? Pinion angle, LCA angle, shock settings, etc. The most expensive suspension parts in the world won't help if they aren't setup correctly.

The 1" Spohn sway bar really isn't ideal for straightline improvements. The Pro-Series bar is what you're needing

Much easier to set preload on it than on the 1"
Old 06-20-2005, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club NA

I havent checked lately, but I set it a 2º of pinion angle, the LCAs are in the most bottom hole on the relocation brackets, 5 setting on the rear shocks and 3 on the front shocks. If I do swap swaybars, I'm going with the Wolfe.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would try taking the driver side end link out and cutting 1/2" or an 1" and then replace, this will preload the swaybar and might help you out on launching straight.
If $$ is not a problem then get the Spohn bar shown above or the wolfe.

If it is not rolling over too much then you should be able to set the load up enough to compensate, suprised though the air bag doesnt help....
Old 06-20-2005, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

The airbag probably does help. My car leaves just a tad crooked. I'm sure if I didnt have an airbag, it'd be worse.