Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolfe minitubs are available for Fbods.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69vette
in order to use the extra space gained, would you need to cut the front and rear of the wheel opening to get enough clerance. I've seen alot of people cutting the bumper and front of the fender opening...for a taller tire i guess??
If you are minitubbing just for extra width then you wouldnt need to cut the fenders, if you are going taller and wider you will need to cut, on my 29.5x10.5x15 I had to trim the front and the back to get the tire to fit saftley
Old 07-16-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
Here's a stupid question, but will these still fit under the stock interior plastic?

My home mini-tub is not close to fitting, and man what a pain to trim and fit, I have the passenger side panel done. took 4 hours to do, went to a stereo shop and got some grey speaker box carpet(it stretches) I will use that to cover the tub where it sticks through the panel. Matches pretty good to.

David
Old 07-16-2005, 12:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those that have mini-tubbed already and didn't get a chance to get your hands on the kit from Wolfe, if you had to do it again, would you have bought the kit? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth buying the kit and saving myself the hassle trying to fab something up or it the kit is definately worth the money. The price doesn't seem too bad, but I'm sure one can fab one up for much less. How much are you guys spending on a homemade kit? Also, if I were to buy this kit, would I need it assembled or unassembled? Thanks.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

IMO you can do it cheaper without the kit, still gonna take the same tools about the same amount of time, still has to be fit and welded. On a street car I would definately do it myself so I could run the stock diameter rear springs. The rear subframe is stronger with the stock spring perches in place.

If it was a full out, no street driving racecar I would consider the kit.

David
Old 07-16-2005, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does the kit require you to relocate the springs or is that dependent on what wheel size, backspacing, and tire you use? I want to narrow my rear end and put the correct backspacing without having to relocate the LCAs and springs.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

well this has me thinking. i just picked up Nine ***** old 1LE car and was looking to start mini tubbing it real soon. i like the price of the Wolfe kit, but what all is involved in the offset LCA? is there more fabrication or is the offset LCA a bolt in deal with built in offset? What about the springs? do they have to be moved also?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing has to be moved.

The offset LCA's. Normally when you buy solid LCAs, they come with a set of machined spacers that the heim joint fits into. Normally they're equal widths and center the joint. Offset spacers just mean they're different sizes and locates the joint nearer the middle of the car, still within the stock LCA mounting points. nothing has to be moved.

The spring issue. You do not have to MOVE the springs anywhere. You merely use a smaller diameter coil-over spring. They're about a 2-3" outer diameter versus the 5-6" outer diameter of your stock springs. Wolfe now makes an adjustable peice for this that is very nice, and is still in the center of the stock location, just not as big around. nothing has to be moved.

Did I mention that nothing has to be moved when doing a minitub?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

thanks. thats what i needed to know.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

From the way it was explained to me is if you have sperical rod ended LCAs, then you just get different offset spacers for the rod ends. So if you have 3/4" spacers on each of the rod end and offset it with 1/4" on one side and 1 1/4", then you would move it over 1/2". On the springs, I'm not really sure if its a must, I believe it depends on what wheel size, spacing, and tire, but you could go with a smaller diameter spring and may not have to relocate it. I dont have first hand experience, so I can't speak for it 100%. Hope it helps though.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

well i am gonna put in my order for the mini tub kit and offset LCA's right now. saves me some work in the long run. thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I bought the aluminum set of 3 off of E Bay but popped for the chrome moly heim ends, all I did was stack the spacers to one side, went to a machine shop had an insert made so the bolt actually fit the spacer and is not loose AT ALL, cost about 20 bux.

David
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

well it is all ordered. mini tub kit and offset LCA's. now to the fun part, cutting up a 38k mile 1LE car. i will take plenty of pics along the way with this build so i can post up my progress...