Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few launch questions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few launch questions....

I am currently on 26x10.5-16 ET streets running 1.61-1.63 60fts launching from an idle without any tire spin (on a prepped track). I am wanting to use my t-brake, but when I do the car just lights the tires up. I now have some 15" telstars and need suggestion on a good tire for them that would handle the t-brake with out dragging me down on the big end.

Last edited by kevredz; 07-19-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Teching In

any suspension mods? id go with a taller tire also
Old 07-17-2005, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sixpackmotorsports
any suspension mods? id go with a taller tire also
Not alot. I have 1LE rear parts (control arms, panhard Bar, sway bar), relocation brackets, WS6 front springs, removed front sway bar, Spohn body mount tq arm w/ spherical end, Spohn subframe connectors.

Why would I benefit from a taller tire? Wouldn't that create a higher gear ratio and slow me down?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would give u more gear, and ideally give u more MPH.

i would go with an ET Drag, or something similar....if youre blowing ET Streets away, step up to a softer tire, and see if that helps.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The LT1 That Could
it would give u more gear, and ideally give u more MPH.

I would go with an ET Drag, or something similar....if youre blowing ET Streets away, step up to a softer tire, and see if that helps.

I have tried a taller tire (28x9-15 Hoosiers) before and lost 2 tenths and 2mph in the 1/8th mile (haven't tried the 1/4). I think it was because either a) the taller tire wouldn't allow weight to transfer with it being so much taller in the rear causing slower 60ft's or b) the overall gear ratio was much higher, thus accelerating slower.

Am I the only one that experienced a ET loss from a taller tire?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kevredz
I have tried a taller tire (28x9-15 Hoosiers) before and lost 2 tenths and 2mph in the 1/8th mile (haven't tried the 1/4). I think it was because either a) the taller tire wouldn't allow weight to transfer with it being so much taller in the rear causing slower 60ft's or b) the overall gear ratio was much higher, thus accelerating slower.

i would say that was the problem, but not totally sure. i may just be talking out of my ***, lol.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The LT1 That Could
i would say that was the problem, but not totally sure. i may just be talking out of my ***, lol.
LOL...

I wish I had as many slicks as my wife does shoes, then I could just try different ones until it ran the best.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 AM
Launching!

Litlle more info might be helpful.
a) What gear ratio are you currently using?
b) Still have the stock 10 bolt?
c) What shocks?/settings?
d) What stall? (Brand) (RPM) (STR if known)
e) Do you plan to run 1/8 mile only?

Sounds like you have a pretty serious motor/trans, you might need to go with some more serious suspension mods, and maybe a few other things, including a lower (higher numerical) gear ratio. Depends on your goals for the car, is it still daily driven, etc.

Last edited by ChevyGoldfinger; 07-18-2005 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
Litlle more info might be helpful.
a) What gear ratio are you currently using?
b) Still have the stock 10 bolt?
c) What shocks?/settings?
d) What stall? (Brand) (RPM) (STR if known)
e) Do you plan to run 1/8 mile only?

Sounds like you have a pretty serious motor/trans, you might need to go with some more serious suspension mods, and maybe a few other things, including a lower (higher numerical) gear ratio. Depends on your goals for the car, is it still daily driven, etc.
a) I am running 3.73's
b) Still running the stock 10 bolt
c) Stock shocks (I put a set off an 02 ws6 because the 98's were wore out)
d) Edge Racing Converter (custom), 3800rpm stall, 2.45 STR
e) I run the 1/4 mile the most. 1/8 mile every once in a while.

I plan on staying N/A, and my car is drove on the street around 200-300 miles a month so I don't mind sacrificing driveability. I am crossing the 1/4 line at 121mph and taching around 6200-6300 rpms on the current setup. As for the converer, Jason at MTI drove the car and said the converter was a little on the tight side. Thanks for the help.

-Kevin

Last edited by kevredz; 07-18-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Not alot. I have 1LE rear parts (control arms, panhard Bar, sway bar), relocation brackets, WS6 front springs, removed front sway bar, Spohn body mount tq arm w/ spherical end, Spohn subframe connectors.

Why would I benefit from a taller tire? Wouldn't that create a higher gear ratio and slow me down?
A taller tire will not help you, unless you had nitrous out of the hole or turbo/supercharger. Those 1LE pieces are fine for Road Racing, but not for Drag Racing. I would get better aftermarket pieces. What do you run in the 1/4 mile? What is your burnout technique? I would not go to a bigger tire unless you have 4.10s or higher gears (numerically). The larger tire will cause your 3.73s to drop to (for example) 3.23 gears. The proper way to fix a traction problem is to fix the suspension, not just throw bigger tires on it. That is a band-aid fix.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
A taller tire will not help you, unless you had nitrous out of the hole or turbo/supercharger. Those 1LE pieces are fine for Road Racing, but not for Drag Racing. I would get better aftermarket pieces. What do you run in the 1/4 mile? What is your burnout technique? I would not go to a bigger tire unless you have 4.10s or higher gears (numerically). The larger tire will cause your 3.73s to drop to (for example) 3.23 gears. The proper way to fix a traction problem is to fix the suspension, not just throw bigger tires on it. That is a band-aid fix.

I bought the 1LE stuff a couple years ago just to replace the stock wore out bushings. Last time I went to the 1/4 I ran high 11.3's at 121 with 1.7 60fts (Full weight). I had the car re-tuned for the Th350 and the 2R heads, put fresh stock shocks, and skinnies on it then ran it again at Abilene 1/8th mile, and ran low 7.3's with low 1.6 60fts (which was a 2 tenth improvement for me at the Abilene track).

On my burnout, I roll through the water, start the burnout in 1st, shift to second, when I white smoke them (not very long) I roll out of it.

I can hook when I flash the converter, just not when I use the t-brake. I guess because of the fact that flashing pre-loads the suspension.

Last edited by kevredz; 07-19-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by kevredz; 07-27-2005 at 02:01 PM.