Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is "big gear/big tire" combo better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Fixed for you guys.
Funny. That is why the closest person behind me in NA SI is over .2 away and in NA CO its .1..

You're such a jealous hater.

Madman, all my passes are datalogged. I have an in car wideband.. I've tried everything. IMHO you need to get over the fact that suspension does not fix everything. It is not the end-all be-all of racing. While it is a big part, if you just do not have enough tire for the current track conditions, you will not fare as well.

In response to others,

To have the attitude "because 9 second cars can do it on that tire, so can you" is a very ignorant attitude to have and shows that you have little drag racing experience.

Not all setups are created equal. Everybody is trying to do something different here with different cars, chassis, powerplants, etc...

I try to help out here when I can but I often see people who really don't know what they are talking about chime in and give advice as if it is the holy grail of drag racing advice.

A good PSJ friend of mine who will remain nameless once said, "look at the people who are giving you advice.. How fast are they? What kind of 60's do they cut? Where is their advice coming from and can they back it up?"...

I'll say this again. My best 60' to date on an NA LS1 with a cam only is 1.31

If you know what you want to do with your car and you're not the first, find someone on this forum that has done it and examine their setup. If you think you can make changes to improve your desired results, go for it!

The problem is people are always giving advice that would work great but don't always apply to the original posters setup.

Just because a 9 second car hooks on a 10.5" tire does not mean anything slower than that can do it as well.

And for all you big mouths, come to US 41, bring a lot of cash, a lot of it.. I'll bring my car out. I'll bring a tire that will be larger than a 28x10.5" ET Drag, you bring a 28x10.5" ET Drag.. I'll make my passes with the larger tire, you make them with the smaller tire.. put your money where your mouth is, i'd even let you drive my car. Pay for it if you wreck it. You'd see how much just 1/2 revolution of tire spin will hurt your ET. If you call in advance and pay 41 to prep the hell out of the track I'll slap you.

/rant off
Old 07-21-2005, 10:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus
A good PSJ friend of mine who will remain nameless once said, "look at the people who are giving you advice.. How fast are they? What kind of 60's do they cut? Where is their advice coming from and can they back it up?"...

I'll say this again. My best 60' to date on an NA LS1 with a cam only is 1.31
/rant off
I made that statement after the last big tire thread. I saw guys not even in the 1.4's making comments about two combos going low 1.3's.

I don't think we'd deny that chassis tuning makes a huge difference but around here 26's + low 10's are rare. and inconsistent as hell.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keith i do see your point.

1) these outragous cars others are talking about are race cars custom built with BIG bucks invested on race preped strips on LADDER bars.

2) there is a huge difference b/w a TNT night and a big traveling event which the prep is always perfect. the tire DOES make up for the track conditions. while MADMAN might be going all over the country on "shitty tracks" i will bet that big money races in the south are only going to be run if the track is preped like a PRO event (because it is).

3) dont get mad or take it personal what some jackass thinks. i agree with your statement of look at WHO your getting advice from. MADMAN - not taking any credit away from you. it just seems that sometimes you dont see how the rest of us race at TNT type nights.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yea, and then when people recomend 28x10.5" tire for you John, they forget to mention they 2-step the car.

Launch under full boost at redline, hook the car.. and be a man.

Gator, I'd like to add that I too think Madman does know a hell of a lot about f-body drag racing..

I've had great track prep days and my car does a lot better with the smaller tires, but on average the track prep is average as well.

I guess it depends on the type of racer you are. Do you race hard core and replace your tires every other weekend, or do you just race for fun when you have some time?

I wrench on my car more than I race it.. I'd rather buy a bigger tire than spend months tuning suspension and replacing the tires every other weekend.

Gator, your comment about TNT nights can pretty much sum up the biggest reason why we have these debates about what tire is enough. We all race a different race.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I know that Magnus' car is set up based on the stuff he's read on here and other boards over the last five years, so he's not hatin' at all, but the reality is that if he went out and raced on 26" slicks up here he would spin the tires for 100 ft. He's too lite too hook them anymore. I doubt he would cut 1.3 anything on 26's up here...

Our best hookin' times at the tracks up here at private track rental or RSD (GLD) and SCC (US41) events. And like at RSD TuffEnuff VHT's the track like he works for the NHRA.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suspension can only do so much.It's the initial hit when you let go of the Tbrake where
the tire does it's best.It's much easier to run a little bigger tire than try and fine tune
you suspension all the time. Trust me.

There is BIG difference between saying "you CAN hook a 28x10.5 tire", and saying
"you can dead hook a 28x10.5 EVERYTIME at any track".

Remember, the 7 second guys get the utmost track prep.That makes a BIG difference.

See, I complain when I 60' a 1.38, and most people say "I'd kill for that 60'".
the difference between a 1.32 and a 1.38 is about 1/2-1 a revolution of a tire.
I'm not happy with that. I'm a perfectionist, sue me.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres a little food for the argument. Why do most chassis tuners try to lightly haze the tires at launch???

225-343-9029
Old 07-22-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, so their cars don't do what my car did in my signature

David
Old 07-22-2005, 07:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Davi you are learning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSJ if you had a new set of tires on your car I could make the 60ft with the best of them all on a 28 tire.

225-343-9029
Old 07-23-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Heres a little food for the argument. Why do most chassis tuners try to lightly haze the tires at launch???

I was watching the NHRA "thrills and spills" on ESPN the other day. They had a very high speed camera running at the rear tire of a pro stock car during the launch. The tire turned over one revolution and then the car took off.

Is that what you are hinting at?
Old 07-23-2005, 05:31 AM
Launching!

I wanted to contribute the info from my former car:
99 Camaro 3000 lbs 5.7L LS1 with Heads/cam/nitrous/Glide/28tire/3.73gear/spool

1.32 60ft (hooked everywhere with 1.32 to 1.36)
9.81 seconds @ 133mph(I had to slow the car down to 10.00 in competition, no NHRA license)
about 60 passes in the 9.80's
about 15 passes in the 6.teens with 26 inch tire(1/8th mile tracks)

Stock rear springs
Stock rear shocks
Stock rear sway bar

Jay Johnson
Old 07-23-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MADMAN
... had a lot of cars win or loose at the tree by only a few thousandths. The last thing I want to do is pop out of the beams or wad up a tire and give the race away at the tree.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I like your thinking Maggie. Your thinking shows your experience. Thanks for chiming in.

225-343-9029
Old 07-24-2005, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Maggie
... had a lot of cars win or loose at the tree by only a few thousandths. The last thing I want to do is pop out of the beams or wad up a tire and give the race away at the tree.
Excellent thinking because I know as soon as I release the brake in my car whether its going to be a good one or like last night just a stinker...
Old 07-24-2005, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well the track I race at (Houston Raceway Park), the track prep isn't that great on Fridays which is street night. Too many ricers go out there and I assume they dont want to waste they're money on prep work for someone just testing. Sundays not too many people go out, but it just depends. Wednesdays are probably the best as there's bracket racing I believe and its a little better. Anyhow, I dont race in any events, but would like to soon once I get my car the way I want it and get used to the new setup. The gear tire combo is the last thing that I have yet to decide on, that's why I'm posting here. I'm stumped between a 28x10.5 and a 29.5x10.5 and what gear to match it with. 26s I'm not even gonna play with anymore. I will be having my suspension fine tuned, but that still doesn't mean that it will gurantee that I'll hook every time with a set of 28s. I'll will be leaving off the brake at roughly 5000 rpms, so I'm gonna need the traction for sure.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

The 29.5" will be a more forgiving tire and will be more consistant than a 28", especially on the nights when the track prep is sub-par.

Last edited by KingCrapBox; 07-24-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is "big gear/big tire" combo better?