Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black car + big burnouts + ET drags = big mess

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005 | 01:24 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I do the same burnouts all the time Until now I couldnt find anything that let me get the rubber off as easy. Problem with lot of this stuff, PAM, Pledge, Burnout gaurd etc is it leaves a film on the black thats almost impossible to get off once it bakes on in the sun. I'm still trying to get the PAM off from atlanta a few weeks ago, I didnt have any luck with that stuff 20 years ago and it still doesnt work for me Black sucks..

Looking forward to the pics Tony, made enough passes so I figured a couple would turn out well.
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
WD-40 is the best I have found to remove it
i use that stuff a few times a year. it takes about 90% of the rubber off. i go to a car wash., spray the hell out of the rubber on the fender, wait a few minutes, then use the gun and spray it. most of it comes off. the rest you can use with an "ugly towel"
Old 08-08-2005 | 06:16 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Problem with lot of this stuff Burnout gaurd is it leaves a film on the black thats almost impossible to get off once it bakes on in the sun.
No kidding, stuff works great but leaves a residue that's a PITA to remove. I use gas to remove big amounts of rubber, but simple green works well for every week removal

Derek
Old 08-08-2005 | 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

I saw you spraying something on yourcar Saturday, couldn't make out what it was. Thats good to know about. BTW I got some great video of your car.
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:06 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by matt94z
I saw you spraying something on yourcar Saturday, couldn't make out what it was. Thats good to know about. BTW I got some great video of your car.
Cool, post them up on the LS1tech video site if you get a chance.

First time I ever tried the stuff and I wasnt expecting it to work well, all I did was wipe it off the next day with a paper towel and the rubber fell right off - and as you seen I wasnt shy about doing burnouts
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use Geddex Burnout guard available through Jegs. It works great, you can either wipe it right off or it will just rinse off with water also.

For the rubber that is already on there, Goo Gone works pretty good. It is highly flammable though, kinda like lighter fluid. It just dissolves the rubber. It will dull up the paint though, but nothing a little polish and wax wont take care of.
Old 08-09-2005 | 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Cool, post them up on the LS1tech video site if you get a chance.

First time I ever tried the stuff and I wasnt expecting it to work well, all I did was wipe it off the next day with a paper towel and the rubber fell right off - and as you seen I wasnt shy about doing burnouts
I need an adapter to go from my camera to the computer. After I get it I'll post some up.

Matt
Old 08-10-2005 | 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey, just figured i'd show ya how much rubber she's got on her, a guy from a local club took a pic of her while I was sittin at a light on the way home from a meet. Probably gonna try and get it all cleaned off if I can after racing this weekend (she needs a bath anyways), hopefully it doesn't take me five hours!!!
Attached Thumbnails Black car + big burnouts + ET drags = big mess-devs-car1.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

devon i think i might have had more. wd40 works wonders. simple green as well. give it a try. you might be surprised. like i said i spray it, wait a couple of minutes, then hit it with the low pressure pressure washers at local car wash. then go home and use an old diry towel and wash it normally.
Old 08-11-2005 | 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't like removing my wax, and the actual time it takes to clean the whole mess up. What I have been doing lately is using the blue painters duct tape. At the end of night when airing my tires back up, I pull tape off in one big piece. Paint is fine and so is polish, also chips are no longer appearing.
Robert
Old 08-11-2005 | 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
devon i think i might have had more. wd40 works wonders. simple green as well. give it a try. you might be surprised. like i said i spray it, wait a couple of minutes, then hit it with the low pressure pressure washers at local car wash. then go home and use an old diry towel and wash it normally.
Yeah, i'm gonna try that. The picture doesn't really show it that great, plus there's a ton on the bottom of the quarter, but i'm hopin the wd-40 will work!
Old 08-13-2005 | 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert56
I don't like removing my wax, and the actual time it takes to clean the whole mess up. What I have been doing lately is using the blue painters duct tape. At the end of night when airing my tires back up, I pull tape off in one big piece. Paint is fine and so is polish, also chips are no longer appearing.
Robert

I saw it firsthand and it definitely works. Robert, i'll be using your method once i get my rearend and qtp's in.

Nate
Old 08-13-2005 | 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
I saw it firsthand and it definitely works. Robert, i'll be using your method once i get my rearend and qtp's in.

Nate
Hey ya Nate.
Robert
Old 08-14-2005 | 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert56
Hey ya Nate.
Robert

Hey hey.

Nate
Old 08-14-2005 | 01:25 PM
11 Second Club