Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 Weight Reduction!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Reduction!!!!

So after reading 8 pages of bs in the streetracing forum between Mach 1s and Ls1 drivers...ive come to the conclusion i need to loose 600 pounds and still keep a clean street car that doesnt look like its been stripped. daily driver is this possible?

i mean all there slips have the running low 12s and 11s only with 296hp...

i have a 94z28 with ttops Automatic...with a 100 to 150 shot of nitrous.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what does this car weight stock? 3800?

the spare and jack has been out for ever so not sure how much weight that was...but of course ive added a 10lb bottle of nitrous. racing seats, but didnt help weight cause i modified the stock brackets.

airbox lid is out..maybe a 1pound

so about 599 left to go!
do they sell light weight carpet? im going to buy some new black anyways...lol

oh i have the muffler cut off too....so maybe 15 pounds there!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

First off, if they are running low 12/high 11s with that hp, they must be trapping pretty low. They must be pulling some LOW 60's to achieve that.

Second your car weighs between 3400-3500 lbs. Our engines are about 80 lbs heavier than the all aluminum LS1s.

Check out this thread for weights of various pieces of your car:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/17319-weight-reduction-list.html
Old 08-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

No way in hell your gonna get 600 lbs without stripping it. Things I have personally done are, spare tire and jack, rear seats, front swaybar, air and egr components, 22lb battery, traction control stuff, and soon to be abs stuff.

After that your gonna have to get rid of your ac, lightweight carpet, remove front and back bumper supports, And then you will start getting into the money mods pretty much unless you wanna strip it....Ie: Lightweight hood, aftermarket k-member, lightweight wheels...etc, etc....
Old 08-21-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

600 pounds? Not a chance in the world, unless you plan on a street car that has no engine, transmission or rear end.

200 MAYBE, but thats about it.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Launching!

best way is get some really light forged wheels
all the HVAC junk is alot of weight too
spare tire and jack
if you have leather interior with power seats you can swap out to a nice set of racing seats and loose some weight also

but to loose 600 lbs its isnt goin to happen without making your car a tin can
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so whats the lightest black 18s? i can get? that look good...i was thinking the vette wheels with the chrome lip. not sure if they are heavier or lighter then stock.

where can i get some lightweight carpet...ill be buying some this week anyways and a battery...

22lb battery? what kind? what does stock weight in at?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AnthonyConstant
so whats the lightest black 18s? i can get? that look good...i was thinking the vette wheels with the chrome lip. not sure if they are heavier or lighter then stock.

where can i get some lightweight carpet...ill be buying some this week anyways and a battery...

22lb battery? what kind? what does stock weight in at?
If you wanna do weight reduction, don't go buy 18's.

If you just wanna take some bs out of the car... take the back seats out, spare tire, some sound deadener and clean the car out. If you wanna keep going it's gonna be the k-member and all that other jazz that was listed... if you're wanting your car to be light 24/7.

If you wanna do it for racing at the track... a set of skinnies and some 15 wheels for slicks is a real good place to start and it won't affect the car when you just want to drive it on the street.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattybz28
If you wanna do weight reduction, don't go buy 18's.

If you just wanna take some bs out of the car... take the back seats out, spare tire, some sound deadener and clean the car out. If you wanna keep going it's gonna be the k-member and all that other jazz that was listed... if you're wanting your car to be light 24/7.

If you wanna do it for racing at the track... a set of skinnies and some 15 wheels for slicks is a real good place to start and it won't affect the car when you just want to drive it on the street.
im creating this car to win money...to hussle it as a v6...so it would need lots of weight removed while keeping it looking stock, ya know? so back seats is a no go.

Is there not any 18s lighter stylish that are lighter then the stock 16s perhaps.

whats the lightest battery? and carpet?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can get some 18's that are lighter, look into the 3 piece wheels, they will only be a few lbs lighter but that really counts on your rotating assembly.

also,
look into a lightweight aluminum ls1 driveshaft
Old 08-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Launching!

HRE wheels
maybe some Fikse or whoever they are
Old 08-22-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight+reduction
Old 08-22-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
you can get some 18's that are lighter, look into the 3 piece wheels, they will only be a few lbs lighter but that really counts on your rotating assembly.

also,
look into a lightweight aluminum ls1 driveshaft

thanks! im going to look into those wheels! im not having anyluck yet finding prices...but ill keep looking.

so its a complete swap the ls1 driveshaft to lt1? whats the weight difference?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

rip the a/c, heat, air bags, sound deadining, crash suport, back seats, jacks, back seat belts, get some drag lites, ditch the front sway bar and its mounting crap, all the egr crap..get prety light
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
rip the a/c, heat, air bags, sound deadining, crash suport, back seats, jacks, back seat belts, get some drag lites, ditch the front sway bar and its mounting crap, all the egr crap..get prety light
But the whole point is to keep it looking stock...so back seats, and drag lights are a no go.

Sound deading where at?

and more info on this 22lb battery, please dont say you mean the dry cell batterys...i had the yellow top optima in my old car the thing would NEVER start...always getting jumped.

website to get light weight carpet???
Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnthonyConstant
im creating this car to win money...to hussle it as a v6...so it would need lots of weight removed while keeping it looking stock, ya know? so back seats is a no go.

Is there not any 18s lighter stylish that are lighter then the stock 16s perhaps.

whats the lightest battery? and carpet?
Just curious, but doesn't having no muffler on an LT1 make it hard to pass off as a v6?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PGM95Z
Just curious, but doesn't having no muffler on an LT1 make it hard to pass off as a v6?
LOL...glad you ask my reply to why is it so loud? is

" man yo i found this could mod on you take the bolts off your exhaust manifold, and it runs open..Doesnt it sound cool it really sounds like a v8 next im going to get some z28 badges! i can make your car sound the same way!"

works everytime.

But reason its off is cause im working on a way to quiet it down and only run one outlet out the back, and running the thoughts of if i do have two outlets to have the right one on a motorized switch where itll come down to place or raise out of site. but ill need the rear valence.

im also thinking of leaving the muffler and extra weight off, and running 2 resonators...thinking that will quiet it down?????? but restrict flow quit a bit, not sure. and on this im thinking of running a cut out before or after the cat right before the two resonators....

just not sure!
Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car is stripped and I street race.....get tinted windows and roll your windows up.

I don't even have carpet......

I run 17in rims w/ Mickey T DRs. That is about as sleeper as your gonna get with big rims that will still hook. 18s are going to be HORRIBLE.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

I have 17" fikse wheels up front and 18" out back, their definitely slightly lighter than stock, and look a hell of a lot better. However, the rotating mass is farther from the rotation point than 16" wheels, so I don't think they are any easier to accelerate even though they are lighter. I agree with fastenough, tint the windows and gut the interior.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Either you are racing complete idiots, or you aren't fooling anyone with the V6 claim. I think just about everyone can hear the difference.

Might wanna check out some lighter front brakes. I know they make them, but I don't know how streetable they are. Probably $ too.

I was told O'Reilly carries a lighter carpet. Sound deadening located under carpet, possibly behind the plastic panels, and on the underside of the hood.

Possibly aluminum radiator, not sure how much this will get you.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I would think headers would be lighter than stock manifolds, but more importantly they actually add power.

Pull the back seat out, but trim a panel and cover it in carpet so it looks like the rear seat is folded.

Loose the power steering and get a lightweight manual setup.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevy42083
Either you are racing complete idiots, or you aren't fooling anyone with the V6 claim. I think just about everyone can hear the difference.

Might wanna check out some lighter front brakes. I know they make them, but I don't know how streetable they are. Probably $ too.

I was told O'Reilly carries a lighter carpet. Sound deadening located under carpet, possibly behind the plastic panels, and on the underside of the hood.

Possibly aluminum radiator, not sure how much this will get you.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I would think headers would be lighter than stock manifolds, but more importantly they actually add power.

Pull the back seat out, but trim a panel and cover it in carpet so it looks like the rear seat is folded.

Loose the power steering and get a lightweight manual setup.
i actually won a 240sx and sold it back to him that night for 500bucks. He was stupid and worked at taco bell, felt bad. lol.

Ill look into oreilys website.

On the aluminum raditor, most aftermarket radiators carry alot more water so the weight would still be there1