Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on anti roll bars please

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on anti roll bars please

OK, I have heard of these anti roll bars here and there, but am unsure about how helpful they really are. What are the main benefits of running one? I haven't really had any problems launching in a straight line. Is there any one better than the rest out there? What makes it better?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my old camaro with a stock rear sway bar and low 1.4/high 1.3 60's. Here is my T/A with a Spohn rear drag sway bar and the same 60' range. Pretty easy to see the difference. Both cars had the exact same roll bar and subframe connectors. Both on stock rear shocks.

If I were to do it over I wouldnt do another 'factory' style bar though and would do a Wolfe or something similar. Problem with the Spohn bar is it sits right against the shocks so a DA shock with ***** on both sides or just larger diameter wont fit. The BMR bar is bent around the shocks a little so its probably a little better then the Spohn in that respect but a Wolfe or other 'real' race bar would be the best solution IMO, especially if you plan on narrowing things up in the rear. I ended up making some offset bushings to move the Afco shocks to the outside but now they are pretty close to the LCAs and the **** just touches them - I'm just about to bolt the stock rear shocks back on..
Old 08-23-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I couldn't have said it any better. I have the Sphon and i had to turn my QA1s where the **** is to the outside.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
here is my old camaro with a stock rear sway bar and low 1.4/high 1.3 60's. Here is my T/A with a Spohn rear drag sway bar and the same 60' range. Pretty easy to see the difference. Both cars had the exact same roll bar and subframe connectors. Both on stock rear shocks.

If I were to do it over I wouldnt do another 'factory' style bar though and would do a Wolfe or something similar. Problem with the Spohn bar is it sits right against the shocks so a DA shock with ***** on both sides or just larger diameter wont fit. The BMR bar is bent around the shocks a little so its probably a little better then the Spohn in that respect but a Wolfe or other 'real' race bar would be the best solution IMO, especially if you plan on narrowing things up in the rear. I ended up making some offset bushings to move the Afco shocks to the outside but now they are pretty close to the LCAs and the **** just touches them - I'm just about to bolt the stock rear shocks back on..
Good post... I like the before and after photos! My drivers side also comes up more than the passenger side... and I am thinking about get the BMR bar... did your sixty foot improve?
http://s97997631.onlinehome.us/temp/...h%20launch.jpg
Old 08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by vmax1500
Good post... I like the before and after photos! My drivers side also comes up more than the passenger side... and I am thinking about get the BMR bar... did your sixty foot improve?
Two different cars so I cant say if the 60' would be any better just changing the bar but the T/A leaves straight as an arrow and is solid going down the track with the bigger bar, the camaro was a little weird off the line. I would imagine anything that makes the car go forward instead of twisting will help 60' and putting some extra weight on th LR tire off the line sure wont hurt..
Old 08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kp

Another good benefit to the Wolfe type bar's over the BMR/Spohn types is weight. My Wolfe bar came in at 16#'s where the others are in the 35# plus range.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JeffT
Another good benefit to the Wolfe type bar's over the BMR/Spohn types is weight. My Wolfe bar came in at 16#'s where the others are in the 35# plus range.
Yep, the Spohn is 35lbs + with the hardware. The weight really isnt in a bad place though but 20lbs is 20lbs. I would switch but everything is welded now so it just stays
Old 08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
8 Second Club

It looks like I will be going with the Wolfe single sway bar! It should be worth it just for the better launch photos alone
Old 08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

The bars that are welded on in all four corners handle like crap on the street... Think ladder bars on a 68 Chevelle. Been there.

I run the Spohn drag bar, and it's just a little tighter feeling than stock around corners or up slight inclines. My friend has gone 1.32's with his (Magnus).
Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
8 Second Club

The handling factor is not that important to me... would you reccomend the Spohn over the Wolfe?

So what's it going to be?

BMR
Spohn
Wolfe

The car is 80% track and 20% street... on the street I just cruise with the car... no crazy handling manoevers
Old 08-23-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess it is what your looking for. Weight reduction do the Wolfe. My car is like yours when it comes to the street. I am about 80% track and 20% street. I like the Sphon so far. Car leaves straight as to it used to go right. All three are good products.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

It looks like I will be going with the Wolfe single sway bar! It should be worth it just for the better launch photos alone

Your avatar is freaking me out man.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:24 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Your avatar is freaking me out man.
What's wrong with avatar? I think I look better now than I did a couple of years ago!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy **** dude. That's a Transformation there.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Wow that's a lot of shaving for that transformation. But damn dude you certainly took a hold of your situation.

It still freaks me out though.

Nate
Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 PM
8 Second Club

Don't feel bad... it freaks me out too
Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I think your head is growing! Oh, wolfe bar. I've driven thousands of miles with that style rear anti-roll bar and a spool.. You've got to keep in mind that the car will definately act differently going around corners.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

My personal goal is to hit your 2002 look vmax, I think I'm almost there

The wolfe is a little noisier on the street but I would say the anti roll characteristics of the wolfe single, BMR and Spohn is probably similar - the 1 5/16" solid spohn bar doesnt deflect much I'm sure.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

What's wrong with avatar? I think I look better now than I did a couple of years ago!
It takes a hard core racer to lose weight like that. J/J
Old 08-24-2005, 08:47 AM
7 Second Club

im calling BULL ****

I've lifted for several years and know several guys (whom i lift with) that have trained and won several body building divisions.

for you to change like that from '02 - '03 is almost nearly impossible...

it takes body builders alone about 20weeks to get ready for a body building show.... and for you to get bulky and ripped like that after coming from the 2002 picture is bull ****...

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but if you really did that then go do some shows because no body else in the world can change that fast in one year