Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how safe is it to remove front + rear bumper support?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how safe is it to remove front + rear bumper support?

I drive the car.. daily.. I removed just simple things... spare tire + jack but I heard you can drop 50ish lbs from removing bumper supports...

would it be really unsafe to do this? I want my car to hold up in a crash.. but I really want that extra 50lbs off... would it completely kill the safety to where a 40mph accident is lethal?

I dont care if its past 100ishmph on the street I dont drive that fast..
Old 08-29-2005, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't remove the rear impact bar on a street car, not much between the bumper and gas tank without it. As for the front, I think you'd be fine unless you hit a pole or tree dead center.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Those supports are there for a reason. Use a little common sense when you ask if removing bumper supports is safe, hahaha.

I've seen cars nearly totalled WITH the supports in a slow 30 mph crash. I'd be scared to see how badly they rip apart without the bumpers intact. You might find an LS1 in your lap, or a fuel tank on your head. OUCH
Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do it on a street driven car, too much risk. You may be able to control your driving, but you can't control someone from rearending you or worse.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:53 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

I got 29lbs. off the front including the washer fluid res. and paneling. I`m removing the rear next Sat. Don`t forget the side impact bars. They were 17 lbs. for the both of them including the insulation and bolts.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not safe for a car that sees street use but most of us dont run the front anyway. I have an aluminum I/C (frontal energy diffuser) instead
Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

good luck getting the front cover off. i got most of the bolts off, then gave up where the cover fastens to the fender for fear of damaging the looks of my nice car just to shed the bumper support.

im thinking you have to actually take the fenders off to get the cover off, which i don't think i'll do.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
good luck getting the front cover off. i got most of the bolts off, then gave up where the cover fastens to the fender for fear of damaging the looks of my nice car just to shed the bumper support.

im thinking you have to actually take the fenders off to get the cover off, which i don't think i'll do.

WRONG! LOL not tryin to be mean. Just look a bit more it takes like 10 mins to get that cover off!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Carbed4thGen
WRONG! LOL not tryin to be mean. Just look a bit more it takes like 10 mins to get that cover off!
You think you could give me a walkthrough? I'd like to pull that front bumper support off, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but a walkthrough would make it a lot easier and i'd probably do it my next day off, which is thursday!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
You think you could give me a walkthrough? I'd like to pull that front bumper support off, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but a walkthrough would make it a lot easier and i'd probably do it my next day off, which is thursday!
It's simple. In a quick nut shell, go under the car and pull all the little (7mm?) bolts out of the plastic and the 3 push clips in the back center (they are tucked up good. Then go up top, pull the upper support and healights. Then on each side there is a total of 3 nuts and 1 bolt, the bolt is at the front of teh fender facing out (can't miss it), and the three nuts are along the bottom edge of the fender. When you retighten the 10mm fender nuts, don't go to tight, if you do your seem will eventually become all wavy.

Then the foam is clipped to the impact bar and the impact bar itself is held on with 6 nuts.

Be very gentle with the cover, the paint will spider web very easily, it's nice to have another set of hands. If you do it yourself grab it front and center on the top and bottom.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks dude, and I don't have to worry about the cover, the damn thing is already spidered! Back in NY before I moved here while I was going to school some stupid *** ricer backed into it while I was parked and in class, came out to find my nose spider cracked scuffed in an upward motion (think he pretty much slid his rear bumper up the nose) and luckily his fart can didn't hit the car but had a 5 inch circle cut into my license plate (that's why i'm assuming it was a ricer)!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carbed4thGen

It takes 10 Min the second time you do it!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by libertine1015
It takes 10 Min the second time you do it!

Haha its true its easier the second time. I rushed the first time and got it off in no time
Old 08-30-2005, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Those supports are there for a reason. Use a little common sense when you ask if removing bumper supports is safe, hahaha.

I've seen cars nearly totalled WITH the supports in a slow 30 mph crash. I'd be scared to see how badly they rip apart without the bumpers intact. You might find an LS1 in your lap, or a fuel tank on your head. OUCH
My 89 Conquest TSI was totalled in a 30mph crash. The front bumber of the car folded right up to the tires

I didn't even feel the impact.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safe is a relative term. i feel plenty safe in my 2980 lb daily driver. i took EVERYTHING out.

Quick Reply: how safe is it to remove front + rear bumper support?