Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Santhuff spindle mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Wasn't aware that the santhuff stuff was a race only setup. Sorry.

As for that aje setup, the strut setup looks good, but I question teh strenth of that k member, that thing looks just a little too fragile. Plus, with struts on teh car like that, a strut tower brace might be needed to stop the front from really flopping around, at least if that k member is gonna be used.

you want the best of both worlds and its just not gonna happen... people who are interested in having strut front ends, normally would'nt care about how much abuse the setup will be able to take under normal driving conditions and that aje setup drops the front end 2 inches, which is deffinetly not helpfull on these cars for street driving.. that was another reason I did not to get it....

jay
Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
http://www.ajeracing.com/camaro.htm

I was tempted to go with this set up... didnt feel like spending the 2000.00 bucks and once this is in the car it wont fit into stock suspension classes..if by chance someone takes a look under the front of the car..

jay
As of now, that's the direction I was leaning towards as well (depending on the cost of these Santhuffs). The decision will be a little harder since I'm an AJE dealer too.

AJE's setup should be legal to run ORSCA (EZStreet), PRO (X-street), and the local races. I've got other things besides a front coil-over setup that will DQ me from most race series (twin 67mm turbos = not legal in most classes).
Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those pics on AJE's website, if I'm not mistaken, are pics of Steve Quinns car.

I was tempted to go with this set up... didnt feel like spending the 2000.00 bucks and once this is in the car it wont fit into stock suspension classes..if by chance someone takes a look under the front of the car..

jay
Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you want the best of both worlds and its just not gonna happen... people who are interested in having strut front ends, normally would'nt care about how much abuse the setup will be able to take under normal driving conditions and that aje setup drops the front end 2 inches, which is deffinetly not helpfull on these cars for street driving.. that was another reason I did not to get it....

jay
If it weren't for the drop, and if the K member had a little more meat to it, or maybe adding a strut brace would probably solve alot of it. I don't really put alot of miles on my car, when it's up and running for a whole easeon, I'll get about 2500 on it for a whole year.... and I'm VERY careful about where I drive it road wise.

I only plan to keep the car on the street for 2 more summers then it's off for track only use, at that point I won't have to worry about it... it's just a matter of what I can do between then and now that I can live with. A 2 inch drop on the front, I don't think I can live with.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by csjta2
Those pics on AJE's website, if I'm not mistaken, are pics of Steve Quinns car.
From what I remember when talking to Steve is that he took it off because it wasn't available w/ a 90/10 cartridge. I talked to AJE @ World Ford Challenge last month and I'm pretty sure you can get whatever you want now, in addition to upgrading to double or single adjustable.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:08 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm using the Santhuff spindle setup on my car with a separate shock. That will keep the stock front geometry as far as a upper and lower control arm, separate shock and steering knuckle setup. This is far closer to stock than a actual fixed top strut setup like the AJE piece. There is a nice photo of this kind of setup on Ray Sanchez's Camaro as well. Like it was mentioned, it's race only. If we like how it works, we'll likely package it up and sell it as a kit. The Santhuff spindles are $800 alone with no control arms. Custom control arms are required, especially if you want to put in the extra caster needed for this style of suspension.

There is nothing wrong with using the stock knuckle and shock setup with travel limiters on cars that see the street. If you want a spindle mounted wheel, buy a Strange front brake kit with the spindle. It bolts in place of the factory wheel hub and gets you close enough. The only issue is that you don't want to drive a spindle mounted tire on the street for much more than a cruise night.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the AJE setup a bolt in deal or is there fabrication required.

From the pics it looks like a bolt in setup but just trying to confirm.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sscam68
Is the AJE setup a bolt in deal or is there fabrication required.

From the pics it looks like a bolt in setup but just trying to confirm.

I believe its a bolt on...
Old 06-10-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by DERTY
I'm using the Santhuff spindle setup on my car with a separate shock. That will keep the stock front geometry as far as a upper and lower control arm, separate shock and steering knuckle setup. This is far closer to stock than a actual fixed top strut setup like the AJE piece. There is a nice photo of this kind of setup on Ray Sanchez's Camaro as well. Like it was mentioned, it's race only. If we like how it works, we'll likely package it up and sell it as a kit. The Santhuff spindles are $800 alone with no control arms. Custom control arms are required, especially if you want to put in the extra caster needed for this style of suspension.

There is nothing wrong with using the stock knuckle and shock setup with travel limiters on cars that see the street. If you want a spindle mounted wheel, buy a Strange front brake kit with the spindle. It bolts in place of the factory wheel hub and gets you close enough. The only issue is that you don't want to drive a spindle mounted tire on the street for much more than a cruise night.
Thanks for the info. I figured the spindles would be in the $800-$900 range since that's what the Mustang stuff goes for. More than likely, I'll just use the AJE setup since I can get the whole front setup for $3000 ready to rock. Of course, the chassis shop that will be doing the setup on the other is a Santhuff dealer. Just depends on how streetable this thing will be.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

How does dropping the front of the car 2" help with the chassis and weight transfer?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The AJE setup is a bolt in, but it eliminates the upper control arm and uses a fixed upper point. Arguably, that wouldn't mean that it's a stock style suspension unless you owned a 3rd gen.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

The AJE setup is a bolt in, but it eliminates the upper control arm and uses a fixed upper point. Arguably, that wouldn't mean that it's a stock style suspension unless you owned a 3rd gen.
I don't plan on racing in any events other than local stuff and those are roughly put together. They have a hard enough time getting cars to fill the classes let alone get nitpicky about this stuff.

I'm trying to knock as much weight as possible and if that means eliminating the upper A-arm so be it. I just don't know if dropping 2" in the front would cause any problems in terms of chassis dynamics during launch. I'm hoping some of you more experienced guys can chime in. Shooting for high 9 second car.

Sorry to get off topic.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCHWEET! i win for once. go thirdgen!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Sweet Cheeks

So would you say a stut kit wouldn't be strong enough for limited street use?

I'm sure you could save upto 45-50 lbs with something like that.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Damage Inc.
So would you say a stut kit wouldn't be strong enough for limited street use?

I'm sure you could save upto 45-50 lbs with something like that.
If you mean can you take it down the Dan Ryan for a 20-30 mile jaunt...wouldn't advise it. Take into account how much a spindle-mount wheel costs and I wouldn't want to try it (this from someone who has no problems w/ driving Bogarts on the street all the time). The short travel of the struts would tear up either the mounts or the strut itself. That's why the only thing you see it on is track cars and not Wild Street/True Street cars.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

about what does the AJE setup cost? this sounds interesting. does the AJE require a spindle mounted wheel?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
about what does the AJE setup cost? this sounds interesting. does the AJE require a spindle mounted wheel?
AJE's is a spindle-mount setup.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Originally Posted by mongse
If you mean can you take it down the Dan Ryan for a 20-30 mile jaunt...wouldn't advise it. Take into account how much a spindle-mount wheel costs and I wouldn't want to try it (this from someone who has no problems w/ driving Bogarts on the street all the time). The short travel of the struts would tear up either the mounts or the strut itself. That's why the only thing you see it on is track cars and not Wild Street/True Street cars.
Right, but what about a non-spindle mounted wheel with the strut setup?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
8 Second Club

Guys I know a lot of you say you don't race in stuff that doesn't check rules like that. But it's very simple, if you are in a race that does require stock suspension up front~ Outlaw 10.5, Limited Street, EZ Street, True 10.5, Drag Radial, Super Street, etc..... you will not be allowed to race, even with a weight penalty. Yes you can have a 4 link in some classes, but you better have stock suspension on the front. The front suspension is a critical tuning device, that's the reason it's so important.

Rick
Old 12-05-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Made a few calls today about spindle/steering knuckles

Santhuff makes set for $945 but also requires custom A-arms to be made to fit their spindle/steering knuckles

AJE makes a set of stock replacement spindle/steering knuckles for $699 that will fit stock A-arms, but will need a 3rd Gen style brake kit, like Aerospace or Wilwood.
He custom makes them and can go ½ to 2” drop (Minimum is ½ drop).

Quick Reply: Santhuff spindle mount