Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NMCA Car Craft Street Race...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006 | 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Default NMCA Car Craft Street Race...

As the boring days go by, I find myself always going to the PRO Forums and reading the "Fastest Street Car" Magazine.

So I ventured into the "rules" section figuring that my car would fit that the best, or atleast with a few minor changes.

First question, and I'm assuming it's a NO, but anyone on here running in that class?

Second question and most importantly...

Could an LS1 be competitive in that class? What would it take? I'm seeing the AFR 205's being accepted, but not much else. So I'm assuming that maybe next year a few more of the new casting LSx style heads will become available or become "legal".

So what do you guys think? Would it be possible? Or are the F.I. fords too hard to keep up with?
Old 07-14-2006 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe Brian Edwards from Billingsley Racing is going to be running this class. I've thought about it, and it's going to be rather tough for an LS1 to compete in it.

Any Factory style, and AFR head up to 221 CC's are legal so you would be able to take a stock, LS6 or AFR casting and take it out to that port size. It's really a class where you need to have a combination that works together. IIRC The throttle body size restrictions and the EFI weight penalty make it even harder unless you go with a carb'ed LS1.

Under the current rules I'd build a Nitrous based entry 36X CID, Carb'ed LSX motor with a set of AFR's ported by a REALLY GOOD porter. If everything worked correctly and you could get the right tune and chassis on it you'd be looking at a chance to compete.
Old 07-14-2006 | 07:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

It wouldnt be that tough, toughest part is the tires. I would have to weigh 3400, I'm right at 3400 now and the car will run 9.40s or so in the heat as it sits, 9.20s in good weather. I have already cut some 1.40x 60's on 10.5 x 28 ET streets and those tires are legal, just take a little more suspension tuning.

I would have to swap my heads (dart 225s) for a set of ported AFR 205s and I wouldnt lose anything there I'm sure. Plus I could do a speed density tune and run C16 with the stock PCM. Plus I can go up more on the camshaft duration as well.

I may try a couple close events next year if I swap heads, I'm not going to purpose build the car for it though. Its never a bigf field and a consistant low 9.40 car would do pretty well right now IMO.
Old 07-14-2006 | 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

That's what I keep seeing. That's the reason I ask. There's no way in the near future I'll be building a low to high 8 sec car. To even just go a couple rounds would be fun. The latest magazine has the Bradenton event in which only 9 people showed up for the class i think it was. Would make it kind of interesting just to see. And I guess everything is all about "combination" but i just didn't know if we were seriously outclassed. That 80mm TB is kinda crappy since it seems the 90mm is THE norm.
Old 07-14-2006 | 10:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I'm running a 78mm TB..

Go to fasteststreetcar.com and check out the results from the last few races, I wouldnt care if I won but it would be fun to hit a couple races. Like most series though you better make sure the car 100% in the rules, if not another racer will turn you in quicker then you can say 'I didnt know it was illegal'
Old 07-15-2006 | 08:03 AM
7 Second Club

It's a fun series, as I ran it last year in Nostalgia Muscle Car at 2 events. With the exception of 1 Camaro, Street Race is all Mustangs right now. Planning a combo for a heads-up class is hard b/c you always have to be looking for more while staying within class rules. At the beginning of last year's season cars were running low 10s and winning. End of the year, 9.40s were the record. This year looks like the class could hit 8's in good weather and track conditions.

Good luck if you choose to run it, would be nice to see something different!

Derek
Old 07-15-2006 | 09:58 AM
I ruin the end of films...

From the standpoint of owning a turbo car, I don't like the PRO series. It's GREAT to watch, but unless you've got a backhalf, it's no fun to race with a turbo car.

X-street, Pro Stock and Mean Street don't allow turbos, True Street is an index class (no faster than 10.00), and Street Race is limited to a 72.5mm inlet on single turbos. Also, other than X-Street, they don't pay **** to win.

I'll stick to ORSCA and NSCA. WIsh I didn't live on the wrong side of the Rockies. I'd love to PSCA's Wild Street or Real Street.
Old 07-15-2006 | 01:37 PM
7 Second Club

Winning one race in Nostalgia Muscle Car (not even a heads-up class) can net you $2-3K in winnings ($750 to win purse plus contingencies), and I didn't even have half of the contingencies they pay, so I can't understand the "they don't pay **** to win" argument.

Pro Stock and Mean Street are naturally aspirated catagories, so why bring them up when complaining about turbos? They don't allow the other power-adders either, so look at other classes.

True Street is not an index class, it's a 30-mile drive and 3 laps back-to-back class, and they've had cars in the 8's win it. The winner gets $250, runner-up gets $100, and the closest to each second catagory (10 sec, 11 sec, 12, 13, 14 and 15) gets $100. Plus you get a free entry into the bracket races on Sunday for $85, not a bad deal if you ask me!

IMHO, there have to be limitations on stuff, especially in the lower classes otherwise it becomes what the big boy classes are, a money fest! But looking at your sig you're running 8s so I'm sure you understand that point.

Guess you can't accomodate everyone, but I'm glad the series is back, considering what NMCA was under Primedia/Peterson Publishing/EMap

Okay, I'm off the

Derek
Old 07-15-2006 | 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

See, that's how I'm looking at it. A FUN and competitive heads up class that you are pretty much guaranteed a spot to qualify. So it has some sort of chance to actually get in to the real racing and go a round. WOuldn't do ALL races, but there seems to be a good number around this upper midwest area.

The biggest weakness I can see is what MUSTANGEATER stated in regards to the EFI stuff. I don't like the idea of spraying a 250 shot(which is what the .093 jet is from my understanding) through the stock style intake. just the uneven distribution you hear so much about. So a carb setup with a plate might work a little better. Then again, I don't know the first thing about carb tuning, haha.