Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who knows anything electrical inside please?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok as of now the car will crank when i have the remote starter switch hooked up (jumping from the power terminal to the solenoid terminal)

when i unhooked the starter switch and tried to start it by key i got nothing, before i started playing with the remote switch the key would make the starter click (which was my previous problem)

when i turn the key over as to crank it it doesnt even click now and i have no power at the solenoid wire. have a poped a fuse or burned a relay or somthing?? i switched the relays out with ones i knew that worked and still got nothing.

im thinking about just wiring a push button starter switch somewhere in the car and call it a day. thanks guys
Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Have someone crank the the motor with the key while you get a 12v tester and check the voltage WHILE they are cranking it. My guess is that the gauge of the wire needs to be bigger. Let me re-read your first post cause I think it's wire wrong somewhere. I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be a faulty ground. -Mark
Old 11-02-2006, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Your starter should be going through the dist box then from the dist box back to the battery. Your alt should go directly to the battery. OR check your iginition relays and your starter relays in the engine bay fuse box. They're are cubed shaped. Take them out and swap them in each others place. If it turns over but doesn't fire you have a bad relay. Cause probably now the bad relay is in the starter connection (hence it not turning over). My wifes LS1 did that. -Mark
Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

when i put my bat in the back i ran a ground from the bat to the chassie in back, then took the ground that was up front and grounded it to the chassie. used my old 4 gauge that was in car for the power wire from front to back hooked up to the battry, conected it front to the factory + wires. havent had a problem starting the car. my next step is to hook up a cut off switch in back. but right now dont have one
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i can get the car to turn over again but now it wont fire, it acts like it wants to but the nothing, i think im still loosing voltage somewhere and it causing it not to have enough juice
Old 11-02-2006, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1998TA__1991RS
ok i can get the car to turn over again but now it wont fire, it acts like it wants to but the nothing, i think im still loosing voltage somewhere and it causing it not to have enough juice
Did you swap the relays in the engine bay fuse box? I almost guarantee it's those relays. Swap them and see if you loose the cranking. I bet you do. Sounds like you have a bad relay. But IMO 4g to run from the front to the rear is a little thin.

Do this take the battery out of the rear and get a set of jumper cables. Bypass the + cable that goes from the front to the rear and hook up the cables to whatever the 4g + wire connects to upfront. Try and start the car. If it starts then your cable is too thin. -Mark
Old 11-02-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

im using a remote starter (not going through the cars circuits) it just a jumper wire with alligator clips that goes from the power terminal to the solenoid terminal on the starter and when you press the switch it puts power from the batt. terminal to the solenois terminal without using the key switch. \

i did try swapping the relays around and cranking by key and i got nothing, not even a click.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw..i have 2ga running to a junction box up front then 4 ga from the junction to the starter and the fuse box
Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1998TA__1991RS
i did try swapping the relays around and cranking by key and i got nothing, not even a click.
Ok. So before you swapped them it would crank but not fire and now when you swapped them it wont crank? Both of those relays are your ignition and starter relays. One goes bad car wont' start obviously but the other would still do what it's supposed to. Which makes sense on why the remote starter works cause you are bypassing the relays. It sounds like the wiring is correct. Do you have a factory or aftermarket alarm? -Mark
Old 11-03-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Ok. So before you swapped them it would crank but not fire and now when you swapped them it wont crank? Both of those relays are your ignition and starter relays. One goes bad car wont' start obviously but the other would still do what it's supposed to. Which makes sense on why the remote starter works cause you are bypassing the relays. It sounds like the wiring is correct. Do you have a factory or aftermarket alarm? -Mark
No. Before i solved my voltage problem the key would make the starter click. not i have the starter trigger wired in with the clips to bump it over from the engine bay and it will turn fine.

now when i disconnect the starter switch and try to crank it by key it will do nothing

as of now i have 2 problems:

1. no crank problem from the key switch
2. no start problem when the remote starter is hooked up.

i have the factory alarm
Old 11-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

It might be a ground or wire that is causing to much voltage drop...But try hooking it back up they way it was stock (battery in front hooked to starter,) try turning it on with the key and then the starter button if that works than it is a wiring problem somewhere...If not then then reply back and i'll suggest something else
Old 11-03-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

the stock wiring is all cut up...for the battery that is