NHRA at it....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I just wish they had a more creative name than "diaper"

they do, oil retention device

and like mentioned above, the way i interpet that rule is it only applies to me if i'm an NHRA class racer, not your regular t&t guy or even regular local track quick 8 or index racer/heads up..as those types of things usually carry there own set of rules, set by the track there held at... i'm sure alot of tracks will start pushing this for everything they run as it will help them keep the maitinence down and help keep people from wrecking there ****... this has been a rule for import series racing for a couple years now i believe, cause those guy sure like to blow **** up...

jay
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
they do, oil retention device

and like mentioned above, the way i interpet that rule is it only applies to me if i'm an NHRA class racer, not your regular t&t guy or even regular local track quick 8 or index racer/heads up..as those types of things usually carry there own set of rules, set by the track there held at... i'm sure alot of tracks will start pushing this for everything they run as it will help them keep the maitinence down and help keep people from wrecking there ****... this has been a rule for import series racing for a couple years now i believe, cause those guy sure like to blow **** up...

jay
Pretty standard now in motorcycle racing I think too.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

but with a track that is nhra sanctioned wouldnt they require then on their test and tune nights that anyone running 9.99 and quicker have an engine oil retention device?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:39 AM
9 Second Club

I like the rule. I've spent MANY hours this year at Etown waiting in the lanes because a clean up was going on. It sucks. I think it should apply to ANY car that goes down the track. I intend to run 9's next season and I'll have no problem getting the diaper.
I have to say I've seen just as many 12 second cars oil down the track as the 9 sec and faster cars have and for the most part the faster more experienced racers are the ones that pull it to the side and get it stopped unlike the others that run it all the way down.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tektrans
I like the rule. I've spent MANY hours this year at Etown waiting in the lanes because a clean up was going on. It sucks. I think it should apply to ANY car that goes down the track. I intend to run 9's next season and I'll have no problem getting the diaper.
I have to say I've seen just as many 12 second cars oil down the track as the 9 sec and faster cars have and for the most part the faster more experienced racers are the ones that pull it to the side and get it stopped unlike the others that run it all the way down.
I dont think its for a clean up time change...its more for a faster car spilling its oil and slicks hitting the tires and wrecking the car...
Old 11-18-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

turbo's now have to be in the engine compartment too
Old 11-19-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
turbo's now have to be in the engine compartment too
is that for all cars? because if that is the STS guys are gonna **** bricks
Old 11-19-2006, 06:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
I dont think its for a clean up time change...its more for a faster car spilling its oil and slicks hitting the tires and wrecking the car...
I agree, yes but it also would cut down on the clean up times too which at least at Etown is a problem many a night.
Either way I think it's a good rule.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Folks,
"Comp" is for Competition Eliminator. I do not believe any of you guys are running in that class.

Not a bad idea. I hate being held up by a guy who blows up because their stuff is not up to par.

Now the guys who use antifreeze instead of water get me fired up. That crap is hard to clean up. If your are afraid of freezing use windsheild washer fluid.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94z28L
is that for all cars? because if that is the STS guys are gonna **** bricks

don't know

Stock
· Exhaust system for turbo applications, aftermarket header permitted. Turbo must be located in engine compartment.

· Crossmember may be altered for oil-pan removal.

· Weight of piston (without pin, locks, or rings) must be equal to or exceed minimum piston weight as listed in NHRA piston list.

· Roll bar mandatory on any car running 11.49 or quicker; permitted in slower cars. Roll cage mandatory in any car running 9.99 or quicker; permitted in all vehicles.

· Driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 mandatory on any car running 11.49
Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I just wish they had a more creative name than "diaper"

How about 'Engine Incontinent Device'...or, just 'Depends' for the race car!

I think that the diaper rule is long over due.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:11 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
One of the reasons (at least what I heard) was to make the live National event coverage easier to manage, two or three comp oildowns and you start getting behind schedule. Of course driver safety is one thing but I doubt the rule will afeect the sportsman ranks at all.

FWIW I assume the rear mount turbo rules applies to NHRA stock eliminator cars.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
FWIW I assume the rear mount turbo rules applies to NHRA stock eliminator cars.

Yes, That was my assumption also.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i think a diaper is a good idea. its not like many guys DD a car that fast. its a safety issue and not that inconvienent.

Hey Now..... some of us do.... LOL
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
7 Second Club

Definately agree that something needed to be done, but it seems it won't catch the half-assed racers that decided to oil the entire track even when they can safely pull off the the side and stop (mostly the slower-than-9's guys)

In my opinion, if you oil it (unless you have the tires coated and you can't safely pull off and stop), then you get out and clean it up to the satisfaction of those racing that day/weekend.

I've seen quite a few wrecks due to oil on slicks from a blown engine, and I'm sure this will help.

Derek