Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollbar Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rollbar Question

Hey guys, I have a question about rollbars, but it is not related to drag racing. This just seemed to be the best place to ask.

I want a rollbar in my stock vehicle just for extra protection and it will not see track use so it doesn't have to meet ANY regulations.

Question is: Is there a way to make it so you don't lose rear visabilty?

Maybe the top hoop could go up into the headliner or maybe drop it down and have a double hump style bar? I don't know. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G2 makes a non NHRA legal one. Check out SLP's website in the interior section for '98-'02 f bodies. Wolf also makes some nice bars. I had their bolt in one for a while, it was very nice and fit well.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RK Sport makes one too (I think it is the same as the G2 one though) You can get it without the crossbrace which should help out.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, I checked out LG, RK and SLP and I did not see a single mention of roll bars or roll cages at all. Wolf just has the regular bars that block all the rear view so that's no good.

Even without seeing one, what is it that allows you to see out the back? Did they flatten the top tube or mount it above the headliner or did they have that double hump shape?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Ok, I checked out LG, RK and SLP and I did not see a single mention of roll bars or roll cages at all. Wolf just has the regular bars that block all the rear view so that's no good.

Even without seeing one, what is it that allows you to see out the back? Did they flatten the top tube or mount it above the headliner or did they have that double hump shape?
My bad, it's LMP.
http://www.lmperformance.com/2944/1.html

I can see just fine out the back with my 10pt and when I had the wolf it was fine also. You should try and meet up with someone who has one installed and sit in it and see for yourself.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

All of the ones that have the bar across the roofline block my vision. That top 2-3 inches are where all the view is at.

I could lower my rear view mirror, but the wire is kind of short, but mainly it would then block my forward view. So I can't do that.

I'm thinking something like this might work:

http://store.miataparts.org/doublehoop.html

Or something like this as far as the top goes.

Another idea was to cut out the middle of the top hoop and replace it with dual smaller diameter tubing and run it above the headliner. I'm just trying to get ideas.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

I get what you're saying, but those are hideous (IMO).
I'd hate to see something like that in an fbody, especially when there are quality bars available for it. You may just have to deal with the blocked view or lower the seat or mirror or just duck a little when you look out back.
Good luck man.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

If I can't keep the rear view I won't put it in. Simple as that. I need to find a workaround.

Even those quality bars you speak of are not designed for daily driving as the top hoop is too close to your head. I'm going to built it to my specs anyway.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

there is no way to put an effective rollbar in a car that will not restrict some rear view.

Besides... putting a rollbar in a car that doesn't need one and never will =
Old 12-27-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
there is no way to put an effective rollbar in a car that will not restrict some rear view.

Besides... putting a rollbar in a car that doesn't need one and never will =
I think your wrong on both accounts.

I didn't ask for your ricey opinion, either.
You can either help out or move on.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Race your car!

your car, do what you want, but you put a rollbar in the car that is legal, and there is zero chance it won't restrict some view.

I hope you're not ever planning on having someone sit in the back after it's in either.. you ever get in an accident and the car catches fire... you're gonna have a cookout in the back seat because they will never be able to get out.

Honestly, if you don't have a NEED for it, don't do it, unless you have a history of flipping cars over and are just very prone to having disasterous accidents, there is no need.

As for the comment.... all I can think of is the kids with mom's old honda that put a big tach in the car and then think it's fast. Trust me, if your thinking behind putting a rollbar in the car is to make people think it's fast, they wont. You put something in the car like you're talking about wanting (that would never be legal) and anyone that is in the know about stuff will spot an illegal cage, and immediately start asking questions.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Launching!

very well put jlws-6, i have my 6pt bar in my car and it doesnt restrict any view. but as jlws-6 said........backseat bbq will happen if someone is back there.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Race your car!

It's things like that people don't think about until after it's in the car... they never realize how often someone is in the back seat until it's out/can't be used anymore.

I just want to caution the guy that started the thread, that if it's not needed, not to do it..... it's one of the things that commonly pushes people over the edge, and makes them end up hating their car.. maybe it's the forced realization that once you have a rollbar/rollcage it's a race car, maybe it's the inconvenience of it, maybe it's the first cop that pulls them over and gives you a bunch of crap about it I dunno.... but I can think of several people that have started building up a car, got to the rollbar/cage point and wished they had stopped before they got that far with it. Personally I can't wait to get mine in, but I think it's more the fact that it has to have it (fast enough) in order to run it anywhere now.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The top of the bar touching the headliner is about as far up as you can go due to the roof structure on the other side. The headliner is going to look like crap if you cut it too.

For what your trying to do, your best option is going to be getting a wolfe 4 point and getting the rear bars that go through the speaker holes. Dont put your cross bar in and thats going to be your best priced/fitting/function. As the others have said, a crossbar is going to trap those inside. Its still dangerous having the rear bars going beside the passengers head. I dont see any other safe option. A custom cage is going to get you the exact same thing at a higher price. Heres the 4 point.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=226

I have a wolfe 6 point in my 02 camaro. I have black vinyl that stops at the bottom of the dots on the back glass and from there down its tinted. Sitting in the seat and looking in the rear view mirror, I can see the vinyl/tint line even with the roll bar in the car. its not blocking the "viewable" clear area of the back glass in my application

the double hump thing is going to prevent back seat entrance and escape.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by promod1955; 12-27-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

One other option is to just have a 1 3/4" main hoop in the car, and off the back side of the hoop,carry a 1 3/4" piece through the speaker hole in the sail panel (b-pillar) and weld that to a 6x6x.125 plate thats welded to the car.

That would be the safest for the passenger and not realy restrict anything.I'm sure that would be better then nothing.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Hey guys, I have a question about rollbars, but it is not related to drag racing. This just seemed to be the best place to ask.

I want a rollbar in my stock vehicle just for extra protection and it will not see track use so it doesn't have to meet ANY regulations.

Question is: Is there a way to make it so you don't lose rear visabilty?

Maybe the top hoop could go up into the headliner or maybe drop it down and have a double hump style bar? I don't know. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Check out the shots of this bar we put in a TA. The kit was from Art Morrison

More shots...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/477501383oROccU
Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I didn't realize everyone would start assuming so many things. Let me clarify. There will never be rear seat passengers so that is completely irellevant.
One of the big reasons for the rollbar will be for the sound system. If it helps, think of this as a show car that will have a big sound system in it. There will be a huge 13x33" amplifier across the back seat area and sub enclusures behind it and on the rear deck. The subs are very heavy and I want to use the rollbar to help bolt them into place. Check my sig for more stereo info.

The car will never see any shows as it's my daily driver, but I do drift it (don't ask) and believe me flipping at high speed is a very real possibility. I keep hearing how safe these cars are in big accidents, but I would like to add some extra strength, just in case.

For daily driver use the top hoop would be about 9"+ from my head just to make sure I don't bump it in an accident. The whole main hoop part will be further back than the legal bars so as not to interfere with getting in or anything else. It will be completely unnoticable on a day to day basis.

My other idea was to just have a non-functional bar and instead make a mini rollbar from mandrel bent 1-2" tubing strictly for the sound system that did not extend much above shoulder height. It would be chrome plated as well. That would get the job done, but offer no rollover protection. It just makes more sense to me to make an actual, fully functional rollbar for safeties sake.

One solution I thought of was to mount a rear view camera on the back and replace the rearview mirror with an LCD screen. Either this or some type of double hump setup.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-28-2006 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

So its a show car that wont see any shows?? And whos assuming? I think people are trying to help you out and give you different options.

For what your doing, I'de just put a regular 4point cage in it.

You've been given many options on how to go. Its your choice on if you want to use the good info posted in this thread.

The exhaust tubing idea is somethin that would belong in a civic. I'de stay away from that.

A well fit cage wont be in the way. A sub enclosures on the rear deck is going to be far more blocking your view then a 1 3/4 roll bar tube.

Last edited by promod1955; 12-27-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

Off topic, who's the hottie in your sig?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by promod1955
So its a show car that wont see any shows?? And whos assuming? I think people are trying to help you out and give you different options.

For what your doing, I'de just put a regular 4point cage in it.

You've been given many options on how to go. Its your choice on if you want to use the good info posted in this thread.

The exhaust tubing idea is somethin that would belong in a civic. I'de stay away from that.

A well fit cage wont be in the way. A sub enclosures on the rear deck is going to be far more blocking your view then a 1 3/4 roll bar tube.
No, it's not a show car. It's my daily driver and I want it to look nice, like a show car. Does that make sense?

People were assuming I would have rear passengers, that is not the case.

I haven't been given ANY options in this thread. Remember, I wasn't asking about putting a rollbar in my car, I was asking about how to do it without blocking the rear view. I basic 4 or 6 point is no problem, I could drop one in without too much difficulty, but I wanted to find a way to do it without hindering my view. That is the basis of this thread.

And finally, no, the subs will not be blocking my view at all. If they did I would not be putting them there.

Why are you so biased against civics? The type of car should not matter. I don't see a problem with using tubing at all. It makes for a very custom install.