Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hoosier slicks. Squirrely up top??? Scary

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Hoosier slicks. Squirrely up top??? Scary

My friend took his new 408 to the track today. His Camaro was running dead on 12 at 118 mph, and he was having to let off up top because it was getting really "squirrely". His tire pressure was 18 psi. I don't know if that was too high, or the fact that he mixed the Hoosier bias ply with radials up front. Anybody got any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bias ply with radials up front will get you squirley for sure. Been running like that for years. Just went to 8 bias ply up front so it should be smooth sailing from here on.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:26 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine are mixed the other way, bias up front and radials n the rear. Drives fine.
I have also run normal street radials up front and bias slicks on the rear also with no problems, is that what he had?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Before the iron 408 he ran 120+ mph with street radials and MT DR's no problem. The extra 80# up front would not make a difference would it?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if he has never raced on slicks that explains it. the sidewals are nothing like the radials. its a ride and you cant over correct for sure.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Veteran

If your buddy is running 12's at 118 with a 408 then I would say he has other issues to worry about other than his car getting squirelly with Hoosier slick!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

He only got 4 runs in, and is getting things dialed in. In addition to letting off the gas up top, he is bogging off the line. He'll get the launch worked out, it's the end of the run stability that is of concern. We just started running at Gainesville Raceway in Florida and they put down so much VHT it's unbelievable. Yesterday, a kid went out on the track to push a car back to the line and every step he walked out of his shoes. I mean sticky. We used to go to Orlando Speed World, like no traction. I had MT DR's that I thought were for **** because I couldn't launch over 3,000 rpm and at that I'd spin all the way through first gear. So we're getting used to the new engine and track.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs up Video..

the car, at the other end, at various points..IE: while still "stable", and look at the ft end attitude.
It can be a combo of bias/radials, and it could be the ft end alignment w/ the ft end up...
Had the same problem[s] with my turbo Buick..
At 141, it was raising my "pucker factor" x 10.
Took the car to the alignment shop, and had it lined with me in the seat, and the ft end up 3". Caster was FUBAR!!
We corrected to max + caster...At 141, drove like it was at 100..NP.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with ET Streets in the back and regular radials up front. I switched to MT Drag Radials and it cured the problem, as well as made the car hook better and was more consistant.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matt D
I had the same problem with ET Streets in the back and regular radials up front. I switched to MT Drag Radials and it cured the problem, as well as made the car hook better and was more consistant.

It will do the same thing with a full slick out back... ie ET Drags, or Hoosier slicks.....

You never want to mix a Bias ply with a radial esp with the radial tire up front.....
Thats asking to reck....
Many may have done it before..... and were fine... but all it takes is once...
Old 01-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
if he has never raced on slicks that explains it. the sidewals are nothing like the radials. its a ride and you cant over correct for sure.
I agree with that 100%. If you impart a little sideways energy to the rear of the car and watch what happens to the sidewalls, you'll see what gives you that loosey goosey feeling. He'll soon learn to ignore it. At least untill he races with a swirling cross-wind.

Quick Reply: New Hoosier slicks. Squirrely up top??? Scary