Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust?

I'm getting a 98z hardtop and stripping the car as much as possible it will be track only.i've had a road race f-body but never anything for drags is it better to run exhaust or open headers?it's just a bolt-ons car.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a 12" piece of 3" pipe on the end of each collector. If it is too loud, put a bullet on each one like I used to have!

You need more pipe than open headers otherwise you will burn up your 02 sensors.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran some macs on my everyday with about over a foot of 3"pipe and a race muffler on each end with a turndown for a year with no problems .
Old 01-28-2007, 12:18 AM
9 Second Club

Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is just a bolton car, run true duals with an X pipe. You will actually see more power and quicker times then running open headers, or extensions right off the headers.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt D
If it is just a bolton car, run true duals with an X pipe. You will actually see more power and quicker times then running open headers, or extensions right off the headers.
lol. No. Do you have dyno graphs or timeslips to support that claim with only an exhaust change and similar weather?

Maybe a bit more power down low with true duals.....but I don't know about you, but when I drag race I'm NEVER below 4k rpms. I also happen to be friends with the creator of this thread and he bought this car with intentions of making it a stripper and cutting off every unnecessary pound.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

if it's a drag only car, tune it open loop and don't run any o2's at all, and run a set of turndowns off the headers... any more then that and you're wasting your time.

I asslume if it's a bolton car you are gonna make a run at the stock internal record? If that's the case, you'll benefit more from the weight loss then any bottom end tq that an exhaust would make
Old 01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
if it's a drag only car, tune it open loop and don't run any o2's at all, and run a set of turndowns off the headers... any more then that and you're wasting your time.

I asslume if it's a bolton car you are gonna make a run at the stock internal record? If that's the case, you'll benefit more from the weight loss then any bottom end tq that an exhaust would make
absolutly with a little help from vfn and a local shop that makes lexan and polycarbonite products it should be real light the car is hideous i'm not concerned about looks i am pulling out everything i can out but your advise sounds good thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

another ? is throwing on a set of 243 heads and ls6 cam in void of the stock internals list?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by ninetres
lol. No. Do you have dyno graphs or timeslips to support that claim with only an exhaust change and similar weather?

Maybe a bit more power down low with true duals.....but I don't know about you, but when I drag race I'm NEVER below 4k rpms. I also happen to be friends with the creator of this thread and he bought this car with intentions of making it a stripper and cutting off every unnecessary pound.
Time slips, and had it on the dyno but I will have to look for the sheets. It was on a cam only car though. You would lose more on a bolton car.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by crazy camaro
another ? is throwing on a set of 243 heads and ls6 cam in void of the stock internals list?
Yes. It has to have stock heads for the model year and the stock cam as well.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt D
Time slips, and had it on the dyno but I will have to look for the sheets. It was on a cam only car though. You would lose more on a bolton car.

I've heard different. Never actually tested it myself though.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Race your car!

I'd be very surprised to see even a stock motor with open headers run slower in a full on drag setup then it would with an exhaust... I just don't buy it.

I bet if magnus sees this, (one of the fastest SI cars ever) I'm sure he will chime in and answer the question.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Retired Street Racer

I'd be very surprised to see even a stock motor with open headers run slower in a full on drag setup then it would with an exhaust... I just don't buy it.

I bet if magnus sees this, (one of the fastest SI cars ever) I'm sure he will chime in and answer the question.
The Stock Internal record holder (Project_SS) has true duals with an X pipe, and I am pretty sure Keith (Magnus) did too. I am number 13 on the list under my old SN MDBlackZ28, and had duals with an X as well (11.49 @ 115) Almost all of the Stock Internal/Bolton guys will tell you to run an X pipe.

Here you go if you don't believe me:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/598343-new-stock-internal-record-10-92-121-mph.html (Project_SS)
Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 AM
Race your car!

I have read that before, but I still don't believe it.

I ever start another ls1 project car I will make a point to do the entire car first and leave a stock motor in it for at least a good part of a season to disprove this "theory"
Old 01-29-2007, 09:18 AM
9 Second Club

Sux2bu had a bullet on each header, and was just as fast as those cats when he was SI. The only reason he isn't on the list is because of his arp rod bolts. Regardless, I'm sure it isn't more than 1-3 whp. BFD.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Retired Street Racer

I have read that before, but I still don't believe it.

I ever start another ls1 project car I will make a point to do the entire car first and leave a stock motor in it for at least a good part of a season to disprove this "theory"
You can believe whatever you want, I could care less. It is a message board so take it for what it's worth. I am just telling you my cam only Camaro loss power throughout the whole powerband by getting rid of duals and going with bullets off of the collectors, then dumps. And the fastest SI LS1 (which HAS been proven) is running True Duals. It's not my car; do whatever you want.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Race your car!

I'm saying if you lost power taking the exhaust off.. it was tune related. I'm sure of it. I would bet that just dropping it off and not retuning for it would a loss.... but if tuned over for open headers it would make more power. For it to work right, you'd have to run it in open loop, I'm guessing that wasn't done, hence the power loss.

with roughly 350 rwhp (stock internal motor with all the boltons), I'm sure that even with a low end power loss, losing 40 lbs of exhaust pipe would be more beneficial then more power on a race car that is never below 5000 rpm the whole way down the track.