Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan for drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan for drag racing

Is anyone have a oil starvation problem with the stock pan and pickup with cars that carry the front tires? I never had a problem with my old setup with 1.39 60' and lifting the wheels slightly over a foot but I don't want to find a problem with the new setup the hard way. I could find much talk about a aftermarket pan or modifying the stock pan and pickup.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm putting a moroso setup on my new build to try to alleviate oil starvation at launch.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At what point is it an issue? Bumper draggers or above 12-16" or what?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned

What has all the fats guys been doing for the past few years?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personaly would not run the stock pan on any drag car without moving the pickup to the rear of the pan or using the Moroso stuff. I think that the canton is a total waste of money, they don't even make billet rails for it. There is another place that also builds pans called Fasttimes fabrication, they do a lot of Nascar pans also.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:00 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had three Cantons on my LT1 (They keep hitting the ground. ) and they look more like a road race pan inside to me. I have owned a ton of drag race pans. Last two Cantons have had pin hole leaks in welds.

Can't say I have ever had bearing problems with them. Ran mine all year and put new rings in it after the season was over, and put the same bearings right back in. Could hardly tell they had been run. I have never seen my oil presure drop.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

i made a thread about this in the internal engine section & no one was any help.

i noticed my oil press gauge dropps slowly to 40psi on hard acceleration (1st & 2nd gear only) its like the g-forces are pulling the oil away from the pump/pickup. i had 5.75qts of redline 10w40 and the bigger oil filter in also.

if your just accelerating mildly then it doesn't do it, just when you let her rip hard in 1st & 2nd gear!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

I ran 6 to 6.5 qts of oil in the pan when I had the stock one. It could be as simple as a bad sender. I have little faith in the stock oil pressure guage. I put a autometer guage on mine and noticed that the stock was 15lbs higher than the pressure actually was. I have also heard that it is possible for all of the oil to be pumped to the topend and does not drain back fast enough. That is usually why the extra oil helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Ed,
Have you ever tried any of Madmans SYA bars, they might save your oil pans. I have had some hits to them and for the most part they have saved my pan and headers. My first set of sya bars lasted for 100 plus passes. The second set lasted 10 passes, due to a little laps in the function of my 2-step, and the extra 125hp.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Just add a extra quart of oil. Do it the ghetto way.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Ed,
Have you ever tried any of Madmans SYA bars, they might save your oil pans. I have had some hits to them and for the most part they have saved my pan and headers. My first set of sya bars lasted for 100 plus passes. The second set lasted 10 passes, due to a little laps in the function of my 2-step, and the extra 125hp.
No, I heard about them. I'm trying urathane control arm bushings stacked on top of the shock (slid over the shaft) so that should bottom before the pan hits the ground. (Thanks Rick!) Guess I'll know if that works next time it looses it's mind. I've started begining with the front end tied down tight for the 1st pass of the day. Wheel spin just hurts your feelings, not your parts. May have to hang some training wheels on it. I'm looking into going NHRA/IHRA Super stock racing. Tranny brake might agravate the wheel stands, even with less torque. Getting tubs and the rear end narrowed right now to make room for more tire. Wife says (So it will do bigger wheel stands) Thinks I'm nuts, probably correct. I'm not going to cover it with decals, and would prefer to not have to go to wheelie bars. Tranny brake may make the later needed.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's some pics of the Moroso that will be used in a drag application. Does yours look similar Joe?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...k/HPIM0650.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...k/HPIM0649.jpg
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Ed, I have some of the same bushings on top of the shocks, they are about 3 inches thick. They stil did not save the pan on the 2-step mishap. I am sure that they help as f-bodies have no bump stops. Mine colapsed so far when I crunched the oil pan that the upper ball joint mount hit the inner fender well at the top.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Ed, I have some of the same bushings on top of the shocks, they are about 3 inches thick. They stil did not save the pan on the 2-step mishap. I am sure that they help as f-bodies have no bump stops. Mine colapsed so far when I crunched the oil pan that the upper ball joint mount hit the inner fender well at the top.
My buddy Rick Abare put me onto these, said he hasn't hit since. I have learned to lift and get right back on the gas to keep it from hitting so hard. I have jerked the shock out of the rubber top mount twice, just pulled the steel insert right out. Stuck the shock shaft through the side of the spring once. Now, my top mount is all steel.

Big weather changes (for the good) and different track prep have been my biggest worries. I have decided the Tulsa track puts down more VHT for the Clash of the Titans than weekly shows. They were here twice last summer, rained the 1st one out. About turned it over backwards first pass both times. Thought the first one was a fluke, I'll know next time.

Mine usually runs the quickest just pulling them up about a foot. Still carries them past the 60' beam, so my 60' times don't look as good. Low 1.30s most of the time unless I'm bracket racing where I have to run bias slicks. Mid 1.30s on those. Can't buy a green light on radials. Can't seem to teach myslef how long to stare at the last amber before leaving. Old dog learning new tricks deal. Bias tires react slow enough I can usually get by.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Here's some pics of the Moroso that will be used in a drag application. Does yours look similar Joe?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...k/HPIM0650.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...k/HPIM0649.jpg
What pan is that one?

I searched for moroso LS1 pans and just came up a billet one... $700 aprox..
Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
What pan is that one?

I searched for moroso LS1 pans and just came up a billet one... $700 aprox..
Thats a pan that is unique. It started off as Moroso billet unit and was modified by Ray-Mac and then sent back to Moroso to weld up and keep on file. It fits aftermarket K-members only and holds 8.5 or 9 quarts. Lemme know if you are interested and I can give you contacts for it via PMs.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Thats a pan that is unique. It started off as Moroso billet unit and was modified by Ray-Mac and then sent back to Moroso to weld up and keep on file. It fits aftermarket K-members only and holds 8.5 or 9 quarts. Lemme know if you are interested and I can give you contacts for it via PMs.
Im just asking around looking for options.. why was the pan modified? capacity?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
Im just asking around looking for options.. why was the pan modified? capacity?

Thanks!
capacity was the main issue, yes. Its obviously spinning 8500+RPMs and oil starvation wasnt on the agenda to happen in order for this motor to live with a wet sump setup. At idle, oil pressure is rock solid at 70psi.