Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is all the weight at?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Where is all the weight at?

Well I broke down and finaly took my A/C out Only 31 Lbs came out with it so far. I guess I need to pull the dash out next and get the air bags and modify the heater box to keep just the heater.

Biggest problem is the car is already running 10.0s spinning. By the time I get what little weight out that comes with the rest of the heater and air bags I will have to stuff it back in with the rest of a full cage

Where is all the weight at? I have been tring for years to make this bitch lighter what the hell is it going to take?

Like I was saying the dash is coming out next and all the air bag stuff is coming out. Not really needed for my safety any more with a eight point and five point harness.

It seems like the more I take out the more I have to stuff back in and I never make up any ground.

Right now the car is at 3,590 with my fat *** in it. I swear I have been tring to get it under 3,500 for six years now. I was close a few years ago then had to put the Roll bar in.

Rules are car has to look pretty much stock save for safety Equipment
Old 02-11-2007, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dam, have you taken out the basic stuff? my car is down to 3060 and its 3200 w/ me in the car when its track prepped, granted i dont have a cage or k member, but you should have alot more room to take stuff out. unless you weigh 300lbs then theres more room to take stuff out.

i have either removed or replaced w/ lighter parts.

-brandon
Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we would need a LIST of all mods on car to really help....

i got my 99SS down to 3375lbs. by doing the following....]

-pulled a/c, egr, a.i.r
-headers, no cats, stock cat back
-added SFC, lca, phb, tq arm...

and thats it.... if i would have left the SFC off, removed stereo, and got lighter wheels,
light weight battery, it could have seen 3300...

it shouldnt be that hard to get the car down to 3300-3350lbs.

good luck.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
dam, have you taken out the basic stuff? my car is down to 3060 and its 3200 w/ me in the car when its track prepped, granted i dont have a cage or k member, but you should have alot more room to take stuff out. unless you weigh 300lbs then theres more room to take stuff out.

i have either removed or replaced w/ lighter parts.

-brandon
Dang man you got your t/a down to 3060??? Wow...that's crazy. What all did you take out?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Well the car is 3360 with out me in it. It is a LT1 car so add 100lbs for iron block with 14lbs of rock in it

We just checked the wifes car(95 Z28 street car) and it was right at 3,600Lbs with out her in it.

Lets see if I can remeber all I have taken out.

front bumper support
Rear Bumper support
Hal's all four corners
A/C Gone
Tube front K member and arms
Headers to single 4in bullet muff dump at axle(Lighter then TDs)
SSEFI lite CAI
Sound deadener in rear
Carpet backing (looking for GOOD light carpet)
Lots of sound deadener stuff removed.
Rear seats gone
Rear belts gone
Car is a Hard top

Lots of other things I can't even remember. The car has to stay street legal and safe. Gutted out strips car is a no go. Takeing out the A/C was a big step. Still not happy about it. NOT looking forward to putting in the rest of the cage.

The goal is to keep it comfortable. This means the wife and I getting in it and driving 500 or more miles with no support crew
Old 02-11-2007, 01:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Its a never ending battle, add another 100lbs for supercharger stuff and its even more fun. Every time I think I get under 3400 raceweight I have to put something else in lol. I could be 200lbs lighter if it wasnt for the cage, relocated big battery and other safety equipment. After a point you just live with the weight or make it look theft recovery

Putting a 10pt cage in the car pretty much ended the 'comfort' of driving this thing, even though I dont drive it anymore its still very driveable..
Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Its a never ending battle, add another 100lbs for supercharger stuff and its even more fun. Every time I think I get under 3400 raceweight I have to put something else in lol. I could be 200lbs lighter if it wasnt for the cage, relocated big battery and other safety equipment. After a point you just live with the weight or make it look theft recovery
I hear you. I looked at moving the battery but it added 15-20 Lbs! Of course the spare and jack are gone BUT replaced with a full N2O system that was even heavier
Old 02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I hear you. I looked at moving the battery but it added 15-20 Lbs! Of course the spare and jack are gone BUT replaced with a full N2O system that was even heavier
I gained 60lbs moving a light battery from the front to the rear, big battery, cables, box and switch. Its always something, class I am running this year says you need FACTORY headlights (driving lights a no go) so that was another 30lbs I just put back in. I have no idea where to take that out from
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
so that was another 30lbs I just put back in. I have no idea where to take that out from
Uhhmmm.... *cough* Jenny Craig *cough*
or.... helium in the tires
Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

why not take out the radio, then have one of those battery powered boom boxes on trips? haha.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ellis, I found most of the weight reduction list numbers to be b.s. The biggest things are brakes and front seats. Nothing else is a big deal. Seats and brakes are over 100 lbs. I weighed everything taken off and installed in mine, and seems like the brakes were 68 lbs counting what I cut off the fromt spindles. Seats, Seems like it was close to the same. My driver's seat (TA) was leather, with power lumbar, and the front part of the seal was adjustable up and down (behind your knees), and had the pump for both front seat's lumbar adjustment. The driver's was a good bit heavier than the pass. The car had stereo crap hidden all over it behind interior panels. The ac was dissapointingly light, as is about everything else you can take off. Mine is about 3025 with nobody in it. Bumper supports and door crash gaurds aren't much. That list showed the later model plastic fuel tank to be 18 lbs lighter than our steel tanks, which don't weigh about 18 lbs without the pump. That would have to make the plastic tanks lighter than air. I have a c.m. cage, which is lighter than a mig welded mild steel cage. My wheels are street legal Weld Pro Stars, because I liked their looks and was drivng it to work many days back then. I'm getting Bogarts next. Need 12" wheels now for the rear anyway, good time to change.
I have three pair of 10" X 15" Welds for sale, and one pair of fronts with front runner tires. I have two pairs of 10.5" X 30" slicks with very few runs also. Jeanie says "You need to sell some of that crap".
Have an NOS EFI nitrous kit also. 75 to 125 hp wet. Used twice.

Ed
Old 02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Old Drag Racer

I feel your pain being somewhat larger than the "Average Joe" at 6'2" and 350+ pounds. I have managed to get my 2000 SS A4 down to 3040 pounds sans driver with a 1/4 tank of gas (3000# no gas in the tank but you can't run it like that ) so far with a couple of hundred pounds more to go. It started out at 3580# w/o driver so I feel pretty good about my weight reduction to this point. Please realize however that mine isn't driven on the street anymore so a lot of what I've done should not be done on your street car. Forgive me if I missed something here.
1. No AC, bracket, lines, etc.
2. No exhaust except for 15" extensions on the Dynatech headers.
3. No passenger seat.
4. No rear seats.
5. No carpet. (This was surprisingly heavy with the padding)
6. No airbag or bracket.
7. No AIR pump or hoses.
8. No front bumper support.
9. No rear bumper support.
10. 10 pound snowmobile battery (150 CA I think) up front to start car. (This itty bitty battery needs a jumper box most of the time but hey, it's OK for me)
11. No radio, speakers, wires, amp or anything music related. The exhaust note is music to my ears.
12. Yank PT4000 converter. It's smaller than stock so it's got to be lighter, right?
13. Chromoly tubular K-member.
14. Bogarts with Hoosier 26 x 10 slicks on the rear.
15. All exhaust hangers and exhaust shielding removed.
16. Aluminum driveshaft but that came on the car.
17. Front and rear sway bars and brackets removed.
18. All plastic removed from front wheel well area.

Future plans when finances avail themselves include:
1. Chromoly tubular A-Arms.
2. Madman's manual steering rack.
3. Strange drag brakes front and rear.
4. Bogarts and skinnies up front to replace the stock tires/rims.
5. ABS delete to be replaced with manual brakes.
6. Replace (relatively) heavy stock hood with a lighter aftermarket version.
7. Replace stock posi unit in the 12 bolt with a lightweight spool and 4.30 gears.
8. Heater core, lines, motor, etc removal.
9. Windshield wiper and motor removal.
10. Door crash bar removal when the cage goes in.
11. Center console removal at some point.
12. Small fuel cell with external pump.

Things that have to go on to add weight include:
1. Chromoly 6 or 8 point cage.
2. Drag race rear sway bar.

This should be a recipe for a 2800# car w/o driver. Hope at least some of this can help you.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:09 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ed, are any of those Weld rims in less than stellar conditon? I'm looking for some cheap pro stars to powdercoat. 15X10 w/ 7.5 BS, 15X3.5 fronts. Don't wanna pay for nice rims when they will be refinished anyway.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have to run glasss all the way or can you use lexan?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
Dang man you got your t/a down to 3060??? Wow...that's crazy. What all did you take out?
when its track prepped

gone for good......
a/c
a/c condensor
rear seats
rear seat belts and brackets
front bumper support
heat shields
cruise control box(in front left fender) went to a single TB cable
air pump
egr
center console (but still looks clean w/out it)
sun visors
spare tire and jack
windshield washer reservoir

removed.....for track use
pass seat
carpet
interior rear panels
put in my camaro race seat,(cloth removed the motors, weighs 13 lbs)
side mirrors
radio and amp
air dam
floor mats
front sway bar

changes.....
z06 wheels to draglites all around

$ weight reduction.......
light weight race battery
ABS delete kit( not installed yet)
headers and TDs ( TDs weighed 27 lbs less then a y pipe and cat back, plus more power)
WS9 hood,functional also

thats what i can think of off the top of my head

i also still ahve the stock k member and A arms
no cage
theres still more to go

-brandon

heres a link of the stuff to do
Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/17319-weight-reduction-list.html
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Guys.

Smokin after looking at your list here is what I have done from your list.

1. No AC, bracket, lines, etc.
2. No exhaust except Y-pipe and 4in muff.(Saves 60Lbs)
3. No rear seats.
4. No AIR pump or hoses.
5. No front bumper support.
6. No rear bumper support.
7. Yank PT3800 converter. It's smaller than stock so it's got to be lighter, right?
8. Chromoly tubular K-member.
9. Bogarts with Hoosier 27 x 10.5 slicks on the rear.
10. All exhaust hangers
11. Aluminum driveshaft from LS1
12. Front sway bar removed.
13. Chromoly tubular A-Arms.
14. Bogarts and skinnies up front to replace the stock tires/rims.
15. HAL/QA1 DA coil overs front- HAL/QA1 SA rear shocks

On the List to do.

1. No airbag or bracket.
2. Heater core, lines, motor, etc removal.(23LBS with out coolant BTW, Just weighed tonight)
3. Light Carpet.

BTW anyone try one of these?

Thanks for the heads up Ed. I already put a manual seat in and I am now looking for nice light seats As for the brakes I am holding out for now I am using LS1 brakes which are(contrary to poular beliefe) lighter then the LT1 Huge iron spindles and calipers

Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 02-12-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Hey Ed, are any of those Weld rims in less than stellar conditon? I'm looking for some cheap pro stars to powdercoat. 15X10 w/ 7.5 BS, 15X3.5 fronts. Don't wanna pay for nice rims when they will be refinished anyway.
They all look fine. No scratches, etc. My rears are 2 pair 15X10 w/6" BS and 1 pair 15X10 5 1/2" BS.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 AM
9-Second Club

Ellis, mine @ 3025 still has factory carpet, console, two front seats, wipers and all the wiring. When people first see it they say "It's still got everything inside". Guess they expect it to be gutted. Couldn't stand to look at it gutted. As soon as I get it back it's getting re-wired, wipers gone and light carpet with no console. I'm putting everything (factory wiring, wipers, etc.) that comes out in a plastic bag to weigh when I'm done.

Good luck, Ed
Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had my Z down to 2720lbs without driver. That was eliminating everything the car didn't need which included all under dash parts and every little miscellaneous bracket in the car, full tubular supsension, car does have a heavy *** 12 bolt, factory glass, stock brakes and a 10pt chromoly cage. I recently cutout more stuff from off the front of the car I have front and rear aerospace brakes now. I could lose more by swithing to chromoly suspension instead of the mild steel.