Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 questions concerning DS loops

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 questions concerning DS loops

now that the car is done, I am going to take it to the track more often...
Its heads/cam 9090 etcetc and a possible shot sometime in the future...so I believe I need a DS loop...correct?

I dont have one...I am concerned with any specific unit fitting with my TD set up...

Question 1: Does anyone fabricate their own DS loops with custom mounting points that is NHRA legal, or do you have to buy one from a manufacturer??

Question 2: I noticed that most DS loops only prevent the forward most part of the DS from coming out and hitting the ground...but what happens if the DS break further down the DS, say in the middle or end of DS towards the rear?

Sorry is these are dumb questions, I want to get more into racing and I guess I have to learn here..

Erik
Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that the loop prevented the driveshaft from entering the cabin under the driver and lopping off his nuts or something like that. If the driveshaft fails further back, there is no danger to the driver.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

it does but doesnt it also prevent it from catapulting the car if it breaks and hits the track..or is that an urban racing myth?
Erik
Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
it does but doesnt it also prevent it from catapulting the car if it breaks and hits the track..or is that an urban racing myth?
Erik

Mythbusters!!!

Seriously though, they did test the "myth" that a driveshaft could catapult a car into the air. ANYTHING is possible, but more likely than a catapult, you're looking at ALOT of rear end/suspension damage from a DS that breaks in the fashion you are describing.

Probably wouldn't take much to fab up a extra non-NHRA legal one (which i would assume is fine as long as you have a NHRA spec one up front) that will just hold up the DS in case something goes wrong. The front DS loop is more for keeping the broken DS in check and not beating the **** out of the car and the driver if it wasn't there.

I hope this helps!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 PM
CARTEK Racing

Even in the myth the DS breaks at the front. If you broke it at the rear yoke or in the middle, the portion facing forward is not enough to pole-vault the car. Plus, I would rather know my ***** are safe then the passiger seats.

NHRA says you need a DS loop at 12.99
Old 02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Anytime slicks are used a DS loop is mandatory. The once you get under 12.99 it is required regardless of the type of tire used. A home made one would be fine. I think NHRA will look more so at where the loop is placed then who made it. They sell both one piece kits and 2 piece kits that are legal. -Mark
Old 02-15-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

ok cool...I will check my options...any regulation as to how thick the steel has to be?

Erik
Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/4 inch I think
Old 02-15-2007, 08:16 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

everyone I know with any power or brains run front & back, cheap cheap insurance.

get the kind with a bolt or pin on 2nd piece so pulling shaft is easy.

must be 6" or less from the u-joint and be a complete 360 degrees, page 201, 2006 nhra rule book

I've seen guys get broke leg, broke arm, hit in helmet, and lots & lots of damage, so spend the time and money now. Good luck, be safe.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

i could not agree more....
thanks a lot....for now I will go with the one, I may need to modify it JUST a bit with my TD's but thats ok, I can weld sooo
If i ever decide to build a race car ill prob go with 2, you cannot be TOO safe!
the last thing i need is a DS whackin my nuts haha