Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prep for Cage.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Prep for Cage.

Over the years I have had just about every nut, bolt and screw out of my car save for the A/C box. Caught the car on fire back in 2000 outting in SFCs but never had to take the box out.

So it is time to install the rest of the roll cage. Been popped trapping 136MPH more then once trying to get into the nines.

So to off set the new wieght of the front half of the cage I have been taking stuff out. I figured out how to ditch 80% of the heavy on the HVAC system and keep the Heater. While I am at it there is a bunch off little stuf that could come out to like the Air bag system.

What I did NOT expect was the PITA it would be to get that damn box out! I got it tonight and tomorrow I should be able to get the rest of the heavy crap out and start putting it back together enough to get the front section in.

Here are a few pic's

Old 03-07-2007, 03:29 AM
JUICED96Z

My guys are just pulling the heater, to much of a headache with the cage and dash bar.

No ducting to nothing.

I figure with no HVAC, race carpet, no rear seats/rear belt brackets, passenger airbag, no front sway bar, no spare and jack, ect ect that it should come close to making up for the added weight.

Had my guys pull my dash and bag and all.... they HATED it lol!!!!!!!!!

Pick it up Saturday. Will get pics up Sunday or so.

Half interior pulled plus full WOLFE 10 point cage install (molly) painted, harnesses, heater and ducting pulled, HVAC plate made, and all put back toegether and back in my driveway in TWO WEEKS

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 03-07-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow That looks familiar. I just got my dash back in. Nothing behind it at all.

Last edited by Steve Burger; 03-07-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Well I want to at least keep the heat. We have some pretty cold nights...and days at the track To me the heater is a Must if I can save it

More wiring then I remember that is for sure...and I have had it apart alot
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets cold here too, but a three layer jacket, pants, helmet, collar, and gloves keeps you nice and warm.. I'd rather have A/C then heat, lot more hot days then cold ones but if you are driving the car to the track on them cold days heat would be nice
Old 03-07-2007, 11:23 AM
7 Second Club

Nice gutting work Ellis! I'm doing the same for the Nova at the moment as she's undergoing paint this year, and the "snowballing effect" is happening as I tear into stuff!

Derek
Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Nice gutting work Ellis! I'm doing the same for the Nova at the moment as she's undergoing paint this year, and the "snowballing effect" is happening as I tear into stuff!

Derek
I know what you mean by the snowballing effect.
http://one8thmile.com/camaropics/camaropics.html
Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I know what you mean by the snowballing effect.
http://one8thmile.com/camaropics/camaropics.html
Yours is more like a blizzard.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Hey I like the new racing seat you have there!!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Hey I like the new racing seat you have there!!
Yeah its from dollar general do you think it will work well with the 5pnt

You might as well get rid of some of those extra wires while your in there lol. Thats was I was doing and one thing led to another and next thing I knew the whole car was apart.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 AM
JUICED96Z

Is it pretty easy to pulls ome not needed wiring while the dash is in from under the dash with the HVAC?

Like the HVAC wiring?

Found out my car cought on fire while the rear bars were being welded, just burnt a fuel line the think that they are going to fix if it needs it. From what they are saying they had their MIG turned down really low and it was still to hot to be safe so they are tiging those plates.

They went to pull out the fuel tank some so they could slide a welding blanket up in there to make it safer and found out I have a locking gas cap LOL!

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 03-08-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

JUICED let me guess...front left coner in drivers foot well? That is where I melted mine back when I put the roll bar in

BTW I have more pictures I will post up later. I got to the fire wall finally. I had to take out all the peddles and every thing else bolts up under the dash I started bolting stuff back in last night. I will be going through the wiring and eliminating at least all the Air Bag Stuff
Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Is it pretty easy to pulls ome not needed wiring while the dash is in from under the dash with the HVAC?

Like the HVAC wiring?

Found out my car cought on fire while the rear bars were being welded, just burnt a fuel line the think that they are going to fix if it needs it. From what they are saying they had their MIG turned down really low and it was still to hot to be safe so they are tiging those plates.

They went to pull out the fuel tank some so they could slide a welding blanket up in there to make it safer and found out I have a locking gas cap LOL!
Heh, I caught those plastic lines on fire welding the rear plates on mine too, I moved them out of the way but they popped back and layed against the floor right where I was welding of course (zip ties next time). I smelled something burning and its like, crap, fuel lines, put it out in a second with a rag but I usually dont move that fast lol.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you guys talking about the fuel lines in the back like the ones in the top left coner of this pic?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandonppr
Are you guys talking about the fuel lines in the back like the ones in the top left coner of this pic?

Yea, they go to the charcoal canister and purge valve, not the actual feed or return but still not a good thing to catch on fire..
Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

Update. It runs again......which I was worried about LOL! Still need to clean up wiring but it runs again and is about ready to get the front half put in. I bought a kit to add the front half But I think I am going to find some one to make it the way I want.

Here are some pics

here are the fruits of my efforts

I feel beat!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:47 AM
JUICED96Z

Twofast, how much does that big plastic thin weight that you pulled out thats against your garage door?

Does it go back in the car? If I remember right thats what the dash mounts to. They welded my front half in with it in no problem. Did not even have to pull the front glass either.

I am thinking it was the canister lines that caught fire. They did not call today and tell me so I am sure they will call Friday.

Head clearance is my main concern. I am 6'2 200 pounds. I had hardly any clearance sitting in the car with no seats LOL

Roll bar pading in some areas is a MUST.

Due to the car catching on fire it looks like I will get my car back on the 14th. Can't complain because they are taking their time and making sure its done right.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
JUICED let me guess...front left coner in drivers foot well? That is where I melted mine back when I put the roll bar in
Mine did the same thing in the same spot. TJWONG was doing the welding, when he started smelling gas, and was WTF. Looked under the car and gas was dripping from that spot near where he had just been welding.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

been there done that, hours of entertainment