Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine fusebox relocation???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine pcm/fusebox relocation???

Anybody relocate their fpcm/fusebox from the engine bay? Just curious if anybody has got rid of the fuse boxes and pcm that sit in the engine bay. Might be a pain to re-wire, but maybe somebody has done it and can chime in.

Last edited by FungusMungus05; 04-08-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

I'm sure it can be done if you have the time to rewire everything. I've done it on hondas and usually just put the fuse box up under the dash in the car so you can run all the wires hidden.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing it when I put the wiring back in. I am going to have all the boxes under the dash.
I have deleted a bunch of things so there is not that much going from there to the front anymore. I think Fans and lights is all I have left but I can't remember I may be leaving something out.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

In the process of doing it myself, but I also have deleted alot of unnecessary circuits
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Please do post when your done and let us know how the whole process went and what all you still have wired to the front. Pics would be awesome!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

will do.
I also plan in moving the pcm behind the firewall also if its not to much trouble.
I should have it done in 2 or 3 weeks. I home
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone should do a Detailed write up on this I want to start taking out wires I don't need but am afraid to do so!!!

Dan
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLPSS99
Someone should do a Detailed write up on this I want to start taking out wires I don't need but am afraid to do so!!!

Dan
I agree
Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Any luck guys in rewiring everything?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

waiting on my cage to get welded in, justdropped i off today. Hope it comes home soon.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

I've heard some of the turbo guys move them down to where the AIR pump was. I looked it over on my car and can't see any easy way to go about it. It sure would clean up the engine bay a ton.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss_girl
I've heard some of the turbo guys move them down to where the AIR pump was. I looked it over on my car and can't see any easy way to go about it. It sure would clean up the engine bay a ton.
i have my front bumper off so it would be a lot easier, im trying to find out how people go about doing it though, i need a write up, lol.

my motor is out of the car and im trying to clean everything as much as possible.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

We deleted the fuse boxes and rewired sometimes back. Here's a link to an old post that my brother made while we were working on the SS.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/327798-our-light-weight-project-ss.html
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 AM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project_SS
We deleted the fuse boxes and rewired sometimes back. Here's a link to an old post that my brother made while we were working on the SS.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327798
you guys deleted the BCM too .. what did you have to hardwire/bypass to have a functional car...
Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Yikes!!! There's gotta be someone that has done this and can shed some light.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Launching!

To The Top
Old 04-08-2007, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

It is pretty easy. I took the harness out of the engine compartment.....It comes apart inside and comes through the firewall. I also did this inside the car with the BCM and PCM wires. I looked at a connector end view of the fuse block and PCM and BCM. Anything we didn't need, I cut at the connector. I ended up only needing one of the fuse boxes and made the horn relay my nitrous relay and left horn wires. I mounted the fuse box inside, upside down so I could see it under the dash. I mounted the BCM on the side of the fuse box and then mounted the PCM to the top of the tunnel inside. Keep in mind the wires that I left, I had to shorten quite abit so I didn't have a cluster of wires inside. Then I cut a hole in the firewall right behind the intake and ran the engine harness out behind the intake. As far as the frontend lights and horn(nitrous), I ran through the frame rail on the passender side and lengthend the wires I needed to....There was no wires inside the engine compartment whatsoever except for the harness on the motor. We converted the alternator to a one wire. (you don't have to do this) We ran a competition engineering column so we didn't have a key anymore. I found the resistance of the key pellet and cut the wires at the bottom of the column and wired the resistors inline. Then I took all the ignition wires (Big Orange) to the center console and put a Painless Wiring switch panel inside the center console with a push botton start. It is all pretty easy but does take some time. If I had to do it for another customer it would cost alot. This car looked really clean under the hood and really easy to work on any wiring issues. The BCM still worked and controlled window, locks, mirrors, and so on. The keyless entry even works. LOL
Old 04-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
It is pretty easy. I took the harness out of the engine compartment.....It comes apart inside and comes through the firewall. I also did this inside the car with the BCM and PCM wires. I looked at a connector end view of the fuse block and PCM and BCM. Anything we didn't need, I cut at the connector. I ended up only needing one of the fuse boxes and made the horn relay my nitrous relay and left horn wires. I mounted the fuse box inside, upside down so I could see it under the dash. I mounted the BCM on the side of the fuse box and then mounted the PCM to the top of the tunnel inside. Keep in mind the wires that I left, I had to shorten quite abit so I didn't have a cluster of wires inside. Then I cut a hole in the firewall right behind the intake and ran the engine harness out behind the intake. As far as the frontend lights and horn(nitrous), I ran through the frame rail on the passender side and lengthend the wires I needed to....There was no wires inside the engine compartment whatsoever except for the harness on the motor. We converted the alternator to a one wire. (you don't have to do this) We ran a competition engineering column so we didn't have a key anymore. I found the resistance of the key pellet and cut the wires at the bottom of the column and wired the resistors inline. Then I took all the ignition wires (Big Orange) to the center console and put a Painless Wiring switch panel inside the center console with a push botton start. It is all pretty easy but does take some time. If I had to do it for another customer it would cost alot. This car looked really clean under the hood and really easy to work on any wiring issues. The BCM still worked and controlled window, locks, mirrors, and so on. The keyless entry even works. LOL

Did you have to pull the dash out to get everything snugged up under? Sounds intimidating, but with a little time and patience, I'm sure I can pull it off.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i did mine, just didnt gut that much out. just all my heat/ac stuff.

Quick Reply: engine fusebox relocation???