Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5pt harness mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5pt harness mounting question

My harness has expired. I had the harness that the shoulder belts were individual and wrapped around the cross bar. I had a tech guy at the track tell me last spring they weren't legal to be mounted the way they were, are they???

Thanks, Brad
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

I always thought they had to be bolted to the cross bar? -Mark
Old 04-17-2007, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

I think I found it....

"Basic NHRA Safety Rules

Seat Belts
All cars must be equipped with an accepted quick release type driver seat belt. All cars in competition
requiring a roll bar or roll cage, or as outlined by Class Requirements, require a Driver Restraint System as
outlined below.
Driver Restraint Systems
A quick-release, 3-inch shoulder harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1, including crotch strap, is mandatory in all
cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. Driver restraint system must be
clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer. System must be updated at two-year
intervals from date of manufacture. All seat belt and shoulder harness installations must be mutually
compatible, originally designed to be used with each other, and produced by the same manufacturer. Cars
using OEM or OEM type seat may route crotch strap in front of seat instead of through seat. Only those units
that release all five attachment points in one motion are permitted. When arm restraints are worn with a
restraint system that utilizes a "latch lever", a protective cover must be installed to prevent arm restraint
from accidentally releasing the latch lever. Protective cover not needed if system uses "duckbill" latch
hardware. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting, and
installed to limit driver's body travel both upward and forward. Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower
frame rails
. Under no circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing permitted for mounting. Check
manufacturers instructions."

I know it didn't say crossbar but maybe the rulebook states it for both.

-Mark
Old 04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Mark, I have the rule book in front of me. Says exactly what you posted. No mention of the cross bar and shoulder harness mounting. The part you put in bold is probably for the lap belts
Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old harness that expired last season was wrapped around the bar. timmy gave me a different style one and i had to make myself an attatchment point on the bar for it. i never caught any **** from any tech guys for the wrap around style tho.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrap around shoulder belts on the crossbar are legal, may want to have something something to limit them sliding side to side though.

The 'Y' type wraparound shoulder belts are no longer legal though, the tech guy was wrong if you had individial wraparound belts.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Kevin.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I also only heard about the Y style, my slow car has the wrap around style, and I never had anyone say anything.