Sponsored by:

NHRA is sold!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation NHRA is sold!!

Here's the words from the NHRA.com page: www.nhra.com/content/news/20723.htm

Definately a historic day, but it'll be interesting to see what direction the new owners take the company. Sportsman racing at national events is already rumored to be on the chopping clock by some, guess only time will tell.

Derek
Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, heard about it this morning on Sirius.

Speculation says it's more a way to keep it going, no matter what happens to Wally.

Sounded like the non-pro stuff would continue under the NHRA "non-profit" strategy and the NHRA-Pro would become it's own for profit business.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will be interesting
Old 06-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Staging Lane

Always IHRA?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Good. They need to change some of the rules when it comes to the bracket/index races and allowing "electronics" cars to run with "non-electronics" cars. This is not real racing; but hopefully they may change this. This could lead to something good.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

hope it turns out for the best,maybe they new owners want kiss force's *** so much.

Last edited by MARKSZ71; 06-02-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:59 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
Good. They need to change some of the rules when it comes to the bracket/index races and allowing "electronics" cars to run with "non-electronics" cars. This is not real racing; but hopefully they may change this. This could lead to something good.
I agree. But I do like to run my footbrake car in the Top ET class.

Coach

PS. The NHRA sold deal will be interesting to see what happens to sportman racing.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
PS. The NHRA sold deal will be interesting to see what happens to sportman racing.
I doubt that there will be any major changes in the bracket program. I have read that sportsman racing will still run at Nationals, but I have also read that it will not! I guess that we will have to wait and see. I can't imagine Indy running without Stock/Super Stock class run-offs.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I can't imagine Indy running without Stock/Super Stock class run-offs.
Neither can I! That's one of my favorite times to be in the stands.

I love all the big words they use to make it all sound good....the legal folks do a good job of making people money all the while keeping it "non-for profit".

The way I take it, the NHRA is still going to run everything. They just no longer own the Pro Categories, Events, & POWERade Series.

Seems kinda wierd to me, but whatever to keep it going strong. Now if they'd only lower the ticket prices
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

NHRA is not sold, the POWERade series has been acquired by HD Partners. They plan to take NHRA Pro Racing (aka: POWERade Series) to a more global level, on par with NASCAR and IRL. NHRA (non-profit organization) will remain unchanged, as will the sportman series (Lucas Oil, Summit, Jr. Dragsters). This was done to allow the Pro Series the financial support it so desperately needed, while NHRA (org) can concentrate on the sportman levels ... like it originally was for. NHRA will also remain the sole sanctioning body for regulations for both NHRA Sportman Racing and NHRA Pro Racing. Sportman classes will still run at POWERade (Pro Racing) event, this is a 25 year contract between NHRA and HD Partners. Nothing to freak out about.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You left out the part where the NHRA has to pay HD Partners $800,000.00 per year for the Sportsman classes to run at Nationals. Who do you think will pay that?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
You left out the part where the NHRA has to pay HD Partners $800,000.00 per year for the Sportsman classes to run at Nationals. Who do you think will pay that?
Thats probably less then they pay now to run the sportsman cars, they arent stupid and I'm sure they have it pretty well figured out. Between NHRA memberships and already high entry fees I dont think money will problem. I wouldnt be surprised to see more sportsman only big events promoted by NHRA in the future.

Personally I think its a good move to seperate the corporate, professional and advertising driven part of NHRA and the sanctioning body itself. Time will tell though and I'm sure there are legal outs for either side if it doesnt work as planned.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If HD Partners has the goal to build up the Pro Series then maybe it will be more interesting to me hehe.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

An open letter on the NHRA page, to all sportsman racers, says NOTHING will change. I fear you'll be required to pay, more than normal cable, to watch. Many major sports have gone there or are headed that direction.

I haven't belonged to the NHRA in several years. It belonged to Mr. Parks, he can do anything he wants. If I don't like it I'll find something else to do.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Talking Nhra

kenny bernstein and asso, said h.d partners will invest 150 millian dollars,to promote pro and lucas oil sportmans racing. should take six months or so, said it will only get better but for who!...........RON
Old 06-10-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Soooo super gas will pay $100,000 to win now huh?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:40 PM
8 second club

I hope the little guy sportsman racers don't get screwed, like usual. I could care less about Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock. Give me Stock and Super Stock all day long, real cars.

On a side note, I wish NHRA would sell Indianapolis Raceway Park (ORP now), my home track. It's one of the worst ran tracks in the country, they change track managers like people change socks. From a track that use to be one of the best in the country, it's turning into a run down piece of sh*t track. The track is usually not prepped as well as most of the private little 1/8 mile tracks around the state. I've heard Tony George and the dude that owns Bristol has tried to buy it.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:08 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I'm hoping they put some money where it counts. Anything to get more attention and get more business' interested is worth the risk in my book. If they get 1/2 as much attention as nascar it will be well worth it. It's way too expensive to run our cars at the level needed to compete, and the purses are not even close to enough to break even. If I won every race I entered, I would still lose my ***. I pay out of my pocket, because this is what I want to do. We all know that, but it would be nice, if smaller guys had a chance at some sponsors.

Part of the deal was for the tracks also, so indy & the others will be run by the new owners.

Wally has not been running NHRA for several years, so I doubt his health had anything to do with the deal. I'm sure they felt it was time for some help to get more sponsors interested in the sport for the future growth of the series.