Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel hop and rear questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am here from 5.00 am till 6.30 pm. Keep trying or PM your number and I will call you back.

225-343-9029
Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a wheel hop problem and it went away with the use of Drag Bags.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Die Grinder
Somebody should tell the owners of GM class cars(stock/super stock)not to bother racing because their rear diffs can't take the abuse.
I have personally dynoed more than one competitive stock/super stock car on the engine dyno and the chassis dyno. After seeing the amount of torque/power these cars are making and the weight of the cars involved it is easy to see why they don't break often. All of this speculation is nonsense anyway since basically all I am trying to say is there is no reason a 9" won't work in an F-Body. 90% of the true race cars and a good percentage of the street cars through this shop run a 9". A properly set up and tuned chassis will NOT wheel hop.

Shane
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

i run 11in wide zr1s o nthe street and did the bfh mod to the inner fender well, so i guess thats why mine dont reall rub

Originally Posted by phoenix
i wouldnt care so much abou the rear twisting if it wasnt for the fact that my tires hit the inner wheel well. you have almos tthe same set up as me i just cant put my LCA on the bottom hole due to the tires, so i have to get the adj. LCA

Madman: tired calling you a few times but i know you have to be busy, is there a good time to reach you?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

well i use to have the 11 inch wide ZR1's with a 315 nitto with no problem. but the 325 are a little wider
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to play the devils advocate for a moment, maybe 'Otherwhitemeets' issue is real with the 9 inch vs. 12 bolt. Maybe theres enough wheel hop that it is an issue to him. Besides, it leaves objective evidence with the patch alternating light and dark (Is this both or the right wheel only?).
Was there a performance improvement with the change to the 12 bolt which may support even traction to both wheels? And finally, the offset pinion gear on the 9 inch may exagerate this condition. If the power is not being transmitted from the pinion to the ring gear "as effectively as the 12 bolt", it may be transmitting the power/torque into rotating the axle housing and contributing to wheel hop.

Most vehicles have wheel hop "take off judder" to some extent from the factory, along with brake judder on the other end of the spectrum. It's just a matter of whether the applitude is high enough that the individual percieves it as an issue. Spring rates, shock settings and pinion angle changes are typical ***** to be tweaked to counter this condition when developing a new vehicle.

Last edited by TT632; 07-02-2007 at 12:00 PM.